G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

I hear a strange noise, never heard it before.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hear a strange noise, never heard it before.

Ok, yesterday i heard this noise that is definatly new to me. It's not the clutch chatter noise but is similar to that sound just not exact. The sound happens only when my rpms are around 3k. Strange thing is, lets say i start rolling from a stop in first gear, the sound wont happen when the rpms go from lets say 2k to 4k rpms, but rather when i let off the gas and let the car slow down by itself, so from 4k its quiet and then once it hits about 3k you hear this sound that sounds almost like a fan hitting plastic, then it goes away when you drop under 3k. Car drives fine i just have no idea what this is.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
is it like metal scraping agaist each other bad in the wheel/suspension area? like the wheel's scraping against something while its spinning? i had the same problem a few days ago (scared the **** out of me) when it first snowed. only at around 4th gear 2k and slowing down. i could still hear it some when accelerating and at lower speeds as well, but it was like the tires were spinning faster at higher geras/rpms hence faster spinning/scraping and louder sound.

anyway, i hit a small pothole with my passenger side wheels and it went away

Old 12-12-2006, 02:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have the same problem. was about to post about it until i saw your post. DOES ANYONE KNOW. IM FREAKED OUT!!!

btw, it is also around 3k. at first, it happened only when i stepped on the clutch or let off the gas. now, it makes it on its own. Its very quiet and sounds like waves (ocean). a slight chattering sound.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:46 PM
mine did something like that and it turned out, to be one of my cateletic converters, I would recomend you guy to get it checked out first though

Old 12-13-2006, 04:25 AM
hmm, interesting. I have aftermarket cats, so that could very well be it. time to get some new oneS!!!

Old 12-29-2006, 05:23 PM
OMG, i found out what the noise was. Turns out, it was my engine knocking. I had only half a quart of oil left in my car. Im lucky I didnt blow my engine. Scary.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:41 PM
'04 G35 C TT. On a cold starts where the car has been sitting for several hours I have a whistling or humming sound (sounds like a tea kettle) from 2k-3.5k pulsing and changing intensity with throttle imputs. If I depress the clutch or take it out of gear the car still makes that noise as the rpms drop through that range. After the car has been on and driven for a few minutes the sounds becomes less intense and eventually goes away. I have had my car into the dealership on several occasions, even leaving it for the service manager to drive to and from work, they have been unable to locate the problem.

Does this describe the problem as others are having it?

Old 01-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by nuttyprof
OMG, i found out what the noise was. Turns out, it was my engine knocking. I had only half a quart of oil left in my car. Im lucky I didnt blow my engine. Scary.
as soon as I read this I had a feeling. I had the same problem!

Old 01-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by AZG35TT
'04 G35 C TT. On a cold starts where the car has been sitting for several hours I have a whistling or humming sound (sounds like a tea kettle) from 2k-3.5k pulsing and changing intensity with throttle imputs. If I depress the clutch or take it out of gear the car still makes that noise as the rpms drop through that range. After the car has been on and driven for a few minutes the sounds becomes less intense and eventually goes away. I have had my car into the dealership on several occasions, even leaving it for the service manager to drive to and from work, they have been unable to locate the problem.

Does this describe the problem as others are having it?

I'm having the EXACT same problem in my 04 Coupe. A tech told me that it's the throw-out bearing, and my clutch. Its at the dealership right now as I type getting those items replaced. I'll let you know if it solves the problem.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:32 AM
Sounds good.

Old 01-28-2007, 12:37 AM
Premier Member

alright so here's an update:
I picked up my car this morning from the dealership after having my clutch and throw-out bearing replaced. Paid $920 for it, and left. I drove about 3 miles, and I noticed the noise was still there... turned right back around and gave it back to them and had them refund my $920 until they figure out what the problem is. Unfortunately the service dept. wasn't open today, so I'll have to wait until Monday to get any more details. Those bastards... my clutch was fine!

Old 01-28-2007, 01:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
damn that sux man
plz keep us updated on what happens. hope everything goes well

Old 01-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Premier Member

Update:
So I get a call from the service manager this morning telling me that the noise was completely normal, and that he drove several new G's that make the exact same noise, only not as loud. Now, this presents the question "If the noise is completely normal, why was I charged $920 to find that out?"

Secondly, I had my 60k service done at nissan. Inifniti was blaming nissan saying that the tranny fluid they put in was the wrong one, and was too thick. I checked with nissan corporate, and they verified that the tranny fluid for the 350z and the G35 have different part numbers, but they are in fact the same. The Infiniti service manager was saying that this "wrong" transmission fluid is causing damage to the syncros... now that we've established that the correct tranny fluid is in there, doesn't that mean the syncros were damaged all by themselves?

Ultimately, if my syncros are bad, I have this whistling/howling noise that won't go away, and I am within my powertrain warranty, doesn't this entitle me to something?