G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Willow Springs Raceway - Jan 27...Anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Willow Springs Raceway - Jan 27...Anyone?

Had the idea from a fellow G/Z owner last night at the Chino Hills meet...

I just signed up for Willow Spring Track day on Jan 27, 2007. It's a two day event but I will only attend on Saturday. It will be my first time. Anyone want to sign up also? I'll be driving from downtown Long Beach. Any advice or suggestions from anyone driving (this) track before will be greatly appreciated. I just want to experience and learn how to drive race track at least once. Let's see how I and the G handle the track. I only have an NA 03Coupe Auto with intake, header, exhaust, lowered with anti-sway...non-turbo!. I'm excited...it will be awesome (crossing my nervous fingers). Check out the sites...

http://www.speedventures.com/1-27-2007_event.asp

http://www.willowspringsraceway.com/...ndcalendar.htm

http://www.willowspringsraceway.com/home/home.asp

There are more events in 2007, we should organize a G35driver group to participate some time. It would be a blast!

Any advice for track driving., equipments, preps...Thanks

Last edited by Good2Go; 01-11-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:22 PM
start out slowly. run at 65-70% for the first session or two so you can learn the lines, bumps, braking zones, ect. try to find reference points like ' i brake after that bush' . if you are spending all your attention on driving, your brain will not be able to learn and adapt. take it easy, figure out what you are doing and you will be much faster by the end of the day than if you just go out and let it rip.

I have never driven my car on the track but am a regular with a motorcycle. it is all the same (except it hurts more to crash the bike) but prepare to become addicted to the worst kind of crack there is. soon you will be spending money on tires that should be going to your 401k and dreaming about racing lines.

check and double check your car. pump your tires up to near max the night before so you can bleed them down to proper pressure once you are there. get all the crap out of your car: cds, change, dirty clothes ect. dring plenty of fluids. get a good nights sleep and eat breakfast. your adrenaline will be running all day so it is important to have some food in your stomach and glucose in your brain. don't worry, it is only intimidating until you get out there, then it is just fun.

good luck

Last edited by mikeb12; 01-11-2007 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
^^^What he said and . . .

1. Find your helmet now. You can't race without a helmet so either borrow one from a very good and clean friend or fork over the $350 and buy one. Don't procrastinate on this.

2. Bring some bottled water and consider bringing some snacks, you'll get the munchies.

3. Refuel before you go at your local gas station and make sure all your engine fluids are topped off the day before you race.

4. Racing gloves are optional, but I brought some.

5. If your girl/spectator comes with you, make sure that person has an umbrella , a hat and some sun screen.

6. Pay attention to the instructors and don't go ***** out right off the bat, get used to the track.

7. Also ditch your engine cover. You won't need that at all and you'll keep your hood open in between races.

8. Items you should also ditch from your G: spare tire and tools, floor mats, and nearly anything you don't need.

9. You don't need blue painter's tape to cover your G headlights since they are plastic, but if you want, buy a roll at Home Depot the day before.

10. Our G is a$$ HEAVY. Odds are, you will spin out on your first day of racing as a Virgin. Don't worry, just relax and get back on the track.

It is like crack, once you get out there, you will absolutely love taking your G to the track.

I may go to since that's a good day to go and the wifey is out of town!

Last edited by Gammawolf; 01-11-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Ohhh and most definitely get a good night's sleep even though you will be really excited like a 10 year old knowing he's going to Disneyland the next day. Willow is far and you gotta wake up buttfvck early to get there. By the time you finish tracking and drive back, you will have one of the best sleeps of your life.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:10 PM
haha "get a goodnight's sleep" sounds like preparation for a test or SAT's or something lol

Old 01-12-2007, 12:30 AM
Thanks for all the great tips guys, keep them coming. I also want to hear your experiences, what you've learned, and what you would have done differently (if any).

Old 01-12-2007, 03:28 AM
basically what everyone mentioned above. drinks lots of fluids and make sure you have the right tire pressure. your tires are going to look like crap after a full day. are you going on the big track or the smaller one? i've watched people eat in on the big track on bikes, not pretty.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:40 AM
^^^He's going on the big track.

When i went, I went on the small one - the Streets of Willow. That one was Very technical and Evos, Subarus, and Miatas tore that track up. On that track there was no point to put it into 4th gear.

What would I have done differently? Not be so aggressive when trying to race some little car on a straightaway. You aren't really racing anybody for time. You are just racing on a track at a high speed in a controlled environment for fun. If you understand that and keep your ego in check, you should have no problems.

It will annoy you when a Subie or an Audi is more experienced and wants to pass you. You let him for safety's sake on a straightaway. Don't try to be the big dog yet.

The more I talk about it, the more I wanna go.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:42 AM
Originally Posted by Bobyl573
haha "get a goodnight's sleep" sounds like preparation for a test or SAT's or something lol
For realz man. Say you race on a Saturday. That means you have to check in by 8:30am in Willow which is approximately an hour north-east of L.A. (Atwater Village/Glendale is where I live). That means you have to leave by 7:30 or earlier. That means you gotta have everything prepared, have your coffee and bagel or cereal by 7am on a SATURDAY morning.

And you have to be alert in Lancaster because it's usually warm out there. So yeah, rest and water are very very important things.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:34 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Brake are essential when racing make sure you change your brake fluid to one that has a high boiling point. When I did Laguna Seca my brakes where gone after 5 laps I had to backoff. I replaced it with Motul RBF600 great product but a bit pricey. Had the whole system flushed out with new racing pads and vented rotors. You don't have to do the rotors but at least the fluid. Willow will be harder on your car so make sure you have plenty of threads left on that tire of yours. You can get a Helmet at Autobacs from $99 - $110 and it's a snell spec approved already.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by glennp_1999
Brake are essential when racing make sure you change your brake fluid to one that has a high boiling point. When I did Laguna Seca my brakes where gone after 5 laps I had to backoff. I replaced it with Motul RBF600 great product but a bit pricey. Had the whole system flushed out with new racing pads and vented rotors. You don't have to do the rotors but at least the fluid. Willow will be harder on your car so make sure you have plenty of threads left on that tire of yours. You can get a Helmet at Autobacs from $99 - $110 and it's a snell spec approved already.
Thanks Glenn, I saw you at the Chino Hills meet (my first) the other night, didn't have a chance to say hello. You were driving your new Titan - great truck.

Good points, that's one of the reasons I switched over to a large brake kit, 14" slotted in front with 6 calibers and 13" slotted rear with 4 calibers. Besides, they look awesome. I have Falken 452's with 2000-3000 miles. I borrow my buddy's motorcycle helmet.

Questions: I'm on 20" rims with 245/35 fronts and 275/30 rears, are they ok for track or any issue? I love the handling, just not as comfortable as my previous 18s. Also, I'll try to get the VRT front strut bar installed - does it help a lot? Thanks guys.

This is what I'm taking to the track!

Last edited by Good2Go; 01-12-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Good2Go
Thanks Glenn, I saw you at the Chino Hills meet (my first) the other night, didn't have a chance to say hello. You were driving your new Titan - great truck.

Good points, that's one of the reasons I switched over to a large brake kit, 14" slotted in front with 6 calibers and 13" slotted rear with 4 calibers. Besides, they look awesome. I have Falken 452's with 2000-3000 miles. I borrow my buddy's motorcycle helmet.

Questions: I'm on 20" rims with 245/35 fronts and 275/30 rears, are they ok for track or any issue? I love the handling, just not as comfortable as my previous 18s. Also, I'll try to get the VRT front strut bar installed - does it help a lot? Thanks guys.

This is what I'm taking to the track!
Which one are you at the Chino meet?

Don't use those rims! What you need to do is use the original 18's to get better torque and acceleration. Those 20's will kill your lap time and beside you're going to rip those tires to shreds at Willow. The stock Michelins on the 18's are more than enough and it can hold it's own on the track. Believe me small chunks of rubber will fly off your tires so you don't want those pretty rims and tires to be ruined. I have a few chunks fly off my tires at Laguna Seca and that was a clean track compared to Willow.

You will also need lots of tape to cover that front end unless of course you have a clear bra already. You still need to cover the headlight unless you want little chips on it. So are you going to run Willow, because there is a speedventure event coming in Jan 24th at Laguna Seca. it will be the middle of the week this is the event to go to. Forget Willow, if you're going to do one track a year this is the track to go to. Technical yet simple fan and yet scary got to love the cork screw section of the track. I won't be able to do LS this year simply because I don't have a car to drive on the track. Maybe next year when I get my small project car going.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:58 PM
As a first timer to Willow Springs, your goals should be drive within your limits, hit your marks (know where the apexes are for each turn), have fun and bring your car home in one piece. I like the idea of starting off at 65%.

You will be be under heavy braking going into turns 1,3 and 5 (coming down the hill). Make sure your brakes and fluid are up to the task.

You may have already heard about turn 9- a 90 degree, decreasing radius turn. Stay to the left entering this turn. You can't see the exit of the turn till you get there and the apex is further into the corner than you think. If possible, follow an instructor or someone who really knows this corner.

Just take it easy until you have a feel for the track. Good luck.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:12 PM
So I signed up for Saturday.

Look forward to seeing you there

Old 01-25-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by Gammawolf
So I signed up for Saturday.

Look forward to seeing you there
Cool, we'll have a great time. Anyone else? I decided to do both days, Sat and Sun. Getting the tein flex coilover installed tomorrow. Couldn't get the Stillen SC installed in time...Can't wait!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Willow Springs Raceway - Jan 27...Anyone?