G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

I keep coming back to the G37

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I keep coming back to the G37

Rather than just looking at the G37 be itself, I compare it to otehr cars in the $35K - $50K range. The first car that I looked at was the 335. It's not a bad car but the exterior of the car is ho hum and almost all of the new BMWs have this huge hideous fin on the roof. All in all it's a nice car but IMO it's not worth anywhere near the $5K+ extra that it costs over the G.

So if you look at Porsche the only cars in that price range are either the base Boxster or Cayman. The base Boxster is about $45K and the Cayman a few $K extra. So what do you get for that money? A car with 245 HP, 17" crudy looking wheels, and a radio that is about the worse on the market. Porsche does offer nice looking 19" wheels, but that will set you back $3500. So I'm not about to pay $50K for a car that has less HP than a $25K Toyota Camry.

MB offers nothing that appeals to me unless it has the AMG option and that puts it well above the $50K range. Of course Subaru and Mutsubishi offer models with super performance for around $35K, but man they are about the ugliest cars on the market. I haven't really looked carefully at what Lexus has to offer because I don't like the styling of the Lexus IS 350.

About the only car that tempts me now and then is a base C6 which I could get for around $45K, but the fit and finish doesn't meet my minimum standards, and the Chevy Dealers near me are the pits.

So bottom line is that the G37 is far from perfect, but there's nothing that is better when price, performance, style, and fit and finish are considered. I know it may be premature to speculate about the G37's fit and finish, but I'm hopeful.

Last edited by FAST1; 05-20-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:39 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
i'm in the same boat and looked at every car you have on your list. i've gotten to the point of looking at 96/97 nsx's and supras. nothing quite offers the amenities and performance for the 40-50k range. i think i will wait it out and see what lexus has coming out for the sports car niche, or if toyota produces their next gen supra.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea i'm with on this as well, i love the 335i engine but the styling is a bit too bland, classy yes, but not striking... also once the M3 hits the roads the basic 3-series coupe will look even more simple, though i have my issues with a few of the G37 styling cues, nothing beats the performance, finish, luxury, and price that it has to offer, so in the end i think the G37 is my biggest prospect, but we'll see once i actually get to drive one

Old 05-20-2007, 09:55 PM
infiniti sure does know how to market there vehicles and price them dont they!...

got me in the same situation

only i added the AUDI S5 to the bunch but it seems to be a gas hog and the price will be up there

Old 05-20-2007, 10:01 PM
I like the A5 with the V-6 and the S Look package!

Fit and finish beyond compare and enough performance to keep me happy.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by uberchicken
I like the A5 with the V-6 and the S Look package!

Fit and finish beyond compare and enough performance to keep me happy.
agree

Old 05-21-2007, 12:11 AM
[QUOTE=FAST1] So I'm not about to pay $50K for a car that has less HP than a $25K Toyota Camry.
QUOTE]

u gotta be kidding me, a regular porsche boxster can spank a camry any time, and the new boxster S can even walk the g35

anyway, gl w/ purchasing ur new ride, to be honest with you, i think the new g37 is not looking good as the old g35. so im gonna keep mine and im gonna get the new m3

Old 05-21-2007, 12:57 AM
[QUOTE=wuyichao]
Originally Posted by FAST1
So I'm not about to pay $50K for a car that has less HP than a $25K Toyota Camry.
QUOTE]

u gotta be kidding me, a regular porsche boxster can spank a camry any time, and the new boxster S can even walk the g35

anyway, gl w/ purchasing ur new ride, to be honest with you, i think the new g37 is not looking good as the old g35. so im gonna keep mine and im gonna get the new m3
Have you seen the performance numbers on the M3? I think you will be highly disappointed It has a 4.8 0-60, the same as the 335i. The M3's small displacement means it has no low end torque. Sure it's a nice car, but highly over priced, it is not even in the same league as a G considering it starts at around $65k.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:59 AM

I would hope that a $65K Boxstere S is quicker than a $35K G. The Boxster is faster than the Camry because of the weight differential, but I can't get excited about being faster than a $25K appliance.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Well it's the brand name, it's like if u see rolex, u immediately think it's an expensive watch compare to a citizen watch.

I think infiniti, the brand itself has not really get the luxury brand name out to the public ears yet, that why they need to do something extra in order to compete, such as body styling, performance and pricing.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For styling. fit and finish, performance and value the G37 wins it hands down. However the A5 will be a top contender in the fit and finish category plus the styling is all new and very eye catching. As for aftermarket performance the BMW 335 will probably win as it will be easy to modify and probably cheaper as it already comes twin turbo.
Just add and intercooler and external wastegate, simple remap of the ecu (you now bavarian probably already has one and you can be easily upwards of 400hp)

Allthough the interior styling is bland...its still a BMW.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:33 PM
^ From what ive read and researched for the 335i, it may take a few less mods to get to the desired power level you wish but trust me modding the 335i will cost you an arm, leg and your first born especially since it is a new model but the numbers are nice

Old 05-21-2007, 01:15 PM
I am not an expert when it comes to mods, but I cannot understand why everyone seems to think the 335 offers more mod potential, and no one seems to mention what will happen when adding twin hair dryers on the G37??

Of course, this is no little chip, and cost is much higher then say the Vishnu option, but since we are comparing a TT car to an N/A car, it makes sense to compare then both as Turbo charged. I can only guess a medium cost option - say non engine overhaul -addition of TT's to the new G37's engine will put this car well over 400 HP. And then of course it should have all the same choices open to it as the 335. OK so the plumbing already exists on the Bimmer, and the cost will be higher at first, but would'nt this mean that the G37 actually has more power and performance to gain with it's potential then the 335?

Old 05-21-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by G-WannaBe
OK so the plumbing already exists on the Bimmer, and the cost will be higher at first, but would'nt this mean that the G37 actually has more power and performance to gain with it's potential then the 335?
lol we're all "not experts" but the cold hard facts are the new G37 is going to run an even higher compression ratio (when turbos should have lower). This in itself will hinder out of the box turbo installs... sure you'll be able to bolt one on at the risk of engine problems.

Will the G37 produce more power from a built engine with turbo(s) ... yes but its a built engine and we're talking $$$.

I'm interested in finding out if the new G37 engine has been over built like the 3.5HR. This would help the tuners A lot !

nothing is stopping or saying infiniti WONT make a turbo option or V8 in a future coupe... just talking about the possibilities with the announced G37. Which imo will provide similar performance increases as the regular G35 engine (not much)

with reading all these threads... i still feel the g37 is the best bang for the buck... not my buck... but the majority !

ppp

Old 05-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If the G37 has the same basic engine as the new GTR, wouldn't it be able to "borrow" some of the same inards? In other words, wouldn't you be able to make it close to the GTR?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I keep coming back to the G37