G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Little tiny black spots on IPs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 02:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little tiny black spots on IPs

I was wondering if it's just me or this happens to everyone that has IP. When I was washing my car, I noticed the back area of car (i.e. Trunk, back bumper) has little black dots that won't come off. From far away, you can't see it, but if you're up close, they look like dirt that can be wiped off. But they won't come off. Does anyone (with an IP) have this in back area of their car?

Old 06-26-2007, 02:21 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
This is the perfect oppurtunity to clay your car, its imbedded contaminants. Search the detailing section for more info

Old 06-26-2007, 09:32 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My wifes Lexus is white pearl also, her brakes shed brake dust, it embeds in the paint and then oxidizes to little orange specs... clay takes it right out.

You may have the same issue. My IP sedan doesnt seem to get brake dust specs but you may have tar specs or some other contaminant as redlude said. Get some clay and some QD or soapy water, should come out.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Same thing here. I can feel them running my hand thru them even after I wash the car. I got McGuiar's Smooth Surface kit, which included clay bar, the spray to use with the clay bar, and washer wax. Clay bar does work and it did take a lot of the spots off while making the surface smooth to the touch again. The only down side is you should wax the car after you clay bar it.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The Ivory Pearl loves to soak up many contaminants. I have seen orange spots that almost look like rust. The sun is the worst in baking this stuff in. If it doesn't come out with a mild polish, the clay bar is the way to go. It's a pain, but just about the only solution. Luckily for me, my car stays in the garage most of the time.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is claying the car a fairly safe thing or could it possibly result in damaged paint?

Im asking because this is something I plan on doing this month and there is a detial shop in dallas that will do it. they say it takes about a couple of hours to do the whole car. Should I do it myself, i know nothing about it really.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:53 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
it's just a dirt and asphalt particals on your trunk.
Clay bar it and you be good to go.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:56 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by lekker_droom
Is claying the car a fairly safe thing or could it possibly result in damaged paint?

Im asking because this is something I plan on doing this month and there is a detial shop in dallas that will do it. they say it takes about a couple of hours to do the whole car. Should I do it myself, i know nothing about it really.
If you wrap your clay bar in sand paper!

Just use enough lubricant (Detailing spray, soap and water) and you be good to to. Oh and turn your clay bar to a diff side often.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Thanks for all your help. That means I'd have to clay bar it a lot then? I got a wax a few months ago..damn..Thanks again.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lekker_droom

It is a painstaking process in which I have fun doing. lol You'll have to wash the car first, clay bar then wax. Well waxing is optional but why expose the paint when you did all that work right? My detailer charges $100 and in hot summer heat, I rather have him do it.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:48 PM
If you use a fine grade clay bar, like any of the kits from meguiars/mothers/clay magic over the counter, then there is very little risk of damage as long as you use enough lubricant. Medium grade clay bars can induce some marring, but usually they can only be purchased from a online retailer or specialty shop

Old 06-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Do not buy Mcguiar's Smooth Surface kit. I tried it on my IP and doesn't work well, I still have those spots there. I am going to try out Mother Glay Bar Kit, many ppl said works better than Mcguiar.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:27 PM
If it didn't take out the spots, you aren't using it long enough, you keep going until the spots disappear, the claybar is actually shaving the spots down slowly, either kit is going to take a while because they are fine clays with little cutting ability, you can step up to a medium grade claybar, but you take the chance of marring the surface because of the more aggressive abrasives

Old 06-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone in Dallas had it done at Vintage on Preston?

Old 06-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Premier Member

I think they are coming out of the exhaust, i get it on my PPW car all the time. They clay out very easily, just clay and re-wax the trunk and bumper.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Little tiny black spots on IPs