G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Problem with my G in first gear? When i launch....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with my G in first gear? When i launch....

Hey guys...i've been a G owner since July and absolutely love the car and so far i have been lucky and not had any problems wiht it. However, about 40 mins ago a VW beetle pulled up next to me...i knew the kid and he has upgraded turbo, a chip, intake, exhaust and some suspension mods...but thats besides the point..i was just justifying why i would even bother racing a beetle....neways...I rev the engine to about 3k and dump the clutch...the car felt very odd....like it was gasping for more air and i could def tell that it was struggling to reach the redline. The car felt like it was almost hopping around...i have heard the term wheel hop before but i am unclear as to what it means..anyone want to fill me in? I live in NY and still have the performance tires on...could that be the reason....just that its so cold and the tires aren;t hooking up properly and its causing the car to act like that? After the race....i came to another light and tried to launch again...pretty much the same thing happened...man when u launch from first gear and you floor it, that needle SHOOTS to redline...u really have to be careful...can anyone tell me how their G acts when they do a launch and if anyone is experiencing similar problems? By the way...how do i bring this up to the dealer i mean i cant just be like "oh yea...so i was racing my car and redlining the hell outta it and it feels kinda wierd...can you fix it for me" Any responses are very much appriciated. Thanks for your time. oh i almost forgot...i won the race : o )

Old 01-31-2004, 06:45 PM
Re: Problem with my G in first gear? When i launch....

oddly today I am having the same problem but I think it is the pop charger (of which I will be removing in a few minutes) its whenever you punch the gas it gives a whizzing sound right off but once I get over 3k rpm it goes away. anyone want a pop charger? I'm not selling it, the catch is you'd have to come pick it up as I really don't have time to ship it out. I stay in atlanta if anyone is interested..but I will be in orlando this weekend. I could carry it down with me

Old 01-31-2004, 07:10 PM

thats not good...i just ordered a pop charger wiht heat shield and a Z tube....but what makes you think that the pop charger is the problem?? i have read the 1 million posts on this board on pop chargers and have found nothing but good feedback...in fact u are the only one that said they dont like it or think it is causing a problem. Can anyone offer some more opinions on this?? Again, feedback is greatly appriciated

Old 01-31-2004, 07:25 PM

Well, I said about the same thing, its pretty weird that it started doing that, especially since nobody else has had a problem. Don't get me wrong, the sound is nice if thats your thing. But I have a wife that nags and nags and she has a keen sense of sound so I could do without hearing her mouth on long road trips. I know its the pop charger cause I put my ear to it. I'm probably going to inspect my install first and make sure I didn't make any mistakes.

Old 01-31-2004, 07:29 PM

im sorry...i didnt make myself clear...i know that the pop charger makes the whistling sound....but i thought that u were implying that the pop charger was the reason that your G was acting wierd in first gear when u floored it.

Old 02-01-2004, 03:04 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Clicky: <A HREF="http://conceptzperformance.com/Cart/description.php?II=394"> POP Charger </a>

www.czp.us

Old 02-01-2004, 12:06 PM
Re: Problem with my G in first gear? When i launch

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

i could def tell that it was struggling to reach the redline.

<hr></blockquote>

Which seems contradicted by:

man when u launch from first gear and you floor it, that needle SHOOTS to redline...u really have to be careful

<hr></blockquote>

But more to the point:

I live in NY and still have the performance tires on...could that be the reason....just that its so cold and the tires aren;t hooking up properly and its causing the car to act like that?

<hr></blockquote>

Yes I'm pretty sure that's at least a big part of your problem. I did some traction testing experiments recently in very cold weather (I'm in NYC), and got similar results.

I got my 6MT coupe in June, and in the warm months, with VDC on, it was virtually impossible to break the tires loose in either full throttle acceleration or braking. Last week I drove the car for the first time in single digit temperatures after it had sat all night outside. I found I could VERY easily break the Pilot Sports loose with the car rolling at about 5MPH and VDC on, with only part throttle acceleration or medium strength braking. It's clear that the loss of performance with these tires when ice-cold is DRAMATIC to say the least.

I'd suggest you put on a good set of winter tires or wait until temperatures are at least in the 60's (and the tires are warmed up after driving for a while), before you attempt any acceleration contests. Cold Pilot Sports will not deliver what you seek...

Old 02-01-2004, 10:14 PM
Re: Problem with my G in first gear? When i launch

Ive gotten real nasty wheel hop even in the summer, it's pretty much the launch. If you don't do it right your gonna get wheel hop. I would think that you would get less wheel hop in the winter because its that much harder for the tires to get grip with the cold and all the salt on the ground. Those tires should just spin freely in this weather.