G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Anybody have their black G painted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody had their black G35 painted?

Just looking for some response to see if anybody is having the same problems as I am with the paint? I am going to be meeting with the paint rep and claims adjuster and the body shop manager. So far just talking over the phone with the claim rep, without him even seeing the car, he points his finger at me as cause of the problem eg: not knowing how to wash the car or how to polish the car. So it's going to be an up hill battle come this Monday.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:59 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
good luck the paint is very thin an soft and is easy to get swirls in. I dont think they will go for a total reapaint but go for it

Old 09-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Are you saying you had your car repainted?

Old 09-06-2007, 04:49 PM
What exactly is your problem with the paint? Black is high maintenance to the point that I wash the car's paint with a different microfiber mitt than that used on the wheels. If you have swirl marks, a good detailer can remove most and at best, only hide the deeper ones. If you can see the scratch from more than 5 feet away, seems like repainting might be your best option.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:02 PM
why are you getting your car repainted?
why is insurance involved?

good luck homie

Old 09-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Espresso
What exactly is your problem with the paint? Black is high maintenance to the point that I wash the car's paint with a different microfiber mitt than that used on the wheels. If you have swirl marks, a good detailer can remove most and at best, only hide the deeper ones. If you can see the scratch from more than 5 feet away, seems like repainting might be your best option.
I had someone back into my quarter panel and therefore I had it repainted. Now those repainted areas always shows scratches. If I buff them out, they return after a wash. Even before I wash, sometimes I will use a quick detailer and scratches start appearing. Then if I do wash a lot of scratches show up on those repainted areas. Now I know what you're thinking, I didn't buff out the scratches in the first place and thats why their coming back. Well then I would say, why is the rest of the vehicle remaining scratch free?
So I am meeting with these people who don't think it has anything to do with their paint, but other people I have met think I do have a problem with the paint.

Last edited by bcgreen; 09-06-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:52 AM
A repainted area really needs 2-3 months to fully cure. You can wash the car and etc but you shouldn't buff that area. Seems like you washed the car too often and did not take caution around the freshly painted area. If it's light scratches on the clear coat, they can be buffed out. If you think the shop did a poor job and the clear coat wasn't thick enough, talk to them. Most should stand behind the quality of their work.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
You didnt apply any wax to the newly painted areas did you?

You need to wait at least 30 days before waxing any new painted areas to let the paint "breath", cure, and harden correctly... Otherwise the paint will be "softer" than the surrounding factory painted areas and will micro marr (scratch) more easily. many shops do not bake the paint onto the car so it is even more important to let it cure before adding ANY wax or sealants...

Old 09-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I had my fender replaced a yr ago and have had no problems with the paint. A buddy of mine owns a body shop here in Socal and reports the state's Air Quality
Management District has lowered the amount of VOC being used. As a result the quality of paint and time of baking are both crap.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Espresso
A repainted area really needs 2-3 months to fully cure. You can wash the car and etc but you shouldn't buff that area. Seems like you washed the car too often and did not take caution around the freshly painted area. If it's light scratches on the clear coat, they can be buffed out. If you think the shop did a poor job and the clear coat wasn't thick enough, talk to them. Most should stand behind the quality of their work.
Problem is, the shop says "thats the way it is, especially with black. You just have to live with it, and also the regulations have changed now on the quality of paint" And this is 2 years later, all this time I was wondering why my technique doesn't work for newly painted surface, but works for factory paint. It took me 2 years and visits to body shops for them to tell me that its not me but poor prep work on the part of the body shop.

Last edited by bcgreen; 09-11-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You shouldn't be buffing paint that is still new.. new paint shouldn't be touched unless it's a light light wash for a weeks