G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

My G was the middle of a car sandwitch - bad!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My G was the middle of a car sandwitch - bad!

Well it happened to me. My G Coupe was involved in an accident, and she came off the worst. I was sandwiched between a Dodge Dakota (rear) and an old Chevy Blazer (font). No-one was hurt, except for my G.

Basics of the accident
It was raining here in L.A., and I was driving (35-40 MPH) on Lincoln just north of LAX. Car in front (Blazer) stops suddenly into a major intersection, hit my brakes and come to a stop behind him (Brembos are great). Dodge then slams into the back of me, with the G taking all the impact (in the ****). This caused my foot to come off the brake, and the remaining energy of the impact forced my car forward.

So the rear of my car is folded in (the bottom of the trunk is up to the trunk door hinges) and my front is completely gone. I have not got pictures yet, but I plan to go down today or tomorrow morning.

I will post more information and pictures when I get it.

I hope everyone else is having a safe weekend.

Mike

2003 6MT Coupe Black/Graphite/Prem./Nav/Aero
1994 MR2 Turbo 5MT Black/Prem.

Old 02-22-2004, 11:19 AM
BEYOND HELP

Re: My G was the middle of a car sandwitch - bad!

OUCH !!

Sorry about your G, sorry you are gonna be G-less for awhile, good that no one got hurt though.

<font color=red>--------------------------------------------------------</font color=red>
<font color=blue> G35C Twl Blue /Willow 5at Prem Splash Wood More 2 come </font color=blue>

Old 02-22-2004, 12:16 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss. Hope things work out. That's got to be one of the worse ways to get in a wreck (weather & situation).

Old 02-22-2004, 12:23 PM
Alumni****

First, it's good to hear that you're okay. I know losing the coupe for a while is going to be hell. Anyhow, good luck with everything and I'm sure you'll get your coupe back in no time!

David
03.5 Ivory Pearl G35C 5AT Premium (7-14 ~ 12-10)
04 Ivory Pearl G35C 5AT Premium 18"

Old 02-22-2004, 12:50 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

cars can be replaced...people however can not.....
I'm sorry your car took a hit....good thing is this is a pretty safe car to be in, so you walked away with out a scratch...
maybe a bruised ego....but your car will be repaired and you can go about your life and get back to normal again...
on the bright side....
maybe a good time for some mods? maybe a different rear spoiler or bottom valance.....Hmmmm....did your muffler receive some damage???the possibilities are endless!!!!
there's always two ways to look at a situation...good side or bad side.....which one you on??? : ) : ) [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img] <font color=blue>2old4this</font color=blue>

04 cpe ivory pearl/willow/5at/prem/sport wheel pkg/clear corners/Piaa's

Old 02-22-2004, 12:51 PM

I hope you can get your car totalled. Or at least get a good fix. Myself, I like to keep everything factory fresh if I can.

Good Brembo's, bad car behind you. That's why I don't like to have people driving close behind me. I know that our brakes will stop before theirs will.

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 02-22-2004, 01:22 PM
WRAH

Were you charged??? Here in Ohio, even if you stopped in time because you still hit the car in front your at fault for that....(I think this is Bull$hit) Our law says you have to stop and leave enough room that if your hit you don't hit the next car....

Good luck with her! I hope you get a new car!

"What if there is no tomorrow....There wasn't one today!!!" Bill Murry

Old 02-22-2004, 01:24 PM

Based on your story it would seem you're not at fault since you initially stopped without hitting the car in front of you. The guy that hit you from behind would appear to be liable for all the damages, since the car behind is always at fault for a rear-ender, and he (not you) caused you to hit the front car..

...in spite of the fact that it was probably the front car that really caused it all...

Old 02-22-2004, 03:27 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually, it's called the chain of causation; the fault is on the guy who hit you from behind. You're safe. This is what the law says: "But for the guy hitting you from behind, you would not have hit the car in front of you." That's how the law works. If there's a police report, you will be safe. If any insurance company tries to lay the blame on you as a finality, you just tell them you know the law and threaten litigation. They'll back down.

The only scenario which would cause you any trouble (well, MORE trouble) would be if the company of the guy in front of you seeks damage from you, and then you go and seek damages from the company of the guy behind you in return, which pays off the guy in front. Why any insurance company would go that route instead of directly seeking damages from the person who caused the accident is beyond me.

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 02-22-2004, 03:31 PM

Thanks everybody for your supporting words.

It will be a shame to to be G-less for a while, but hey, at least everybody is OK and I have my MR2 to drive in the mean time.

I think MrElussive is right, that the insurance blame propagates from one driver to another. I might be be lucky because the guy in front of me had no damage to his car and was visibly OK, so he might not make a claim. He realised that he stopped suddenly to avoid another driver. Who knows in CA, people do odd things.

I will post some more info and pics once I get them. I started my claim today, so now the fun begins.

A funny thing popped into my head - I call my parents last night (Australia) and told them what happened. The first words out of my Dad's mouth were "Well thats gotta rip the crotch outa your pants!!!" My dad has a way with words!!

Thanks again everybody.
Drive Safe.
Mike

Old 02-22-2004, 03:37 PM

Yeah I did stop in time, so as not to hit the guy in front. I actually had time to stop, get the car out of gear, check the rear mirror and see dodge bearing down, push myself into the seat and wait for the impact. Its amazing what happens in the space of 5 seconds!!

Mike.

Old 02-22-2004, 03:41 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you release the brake right before impact or at impact? Just for future reference, release the brake and throw in the clutch (if in an MT) if you see a car coming at your rear and you have no wiggle room. It makes for a less "jerky" stop, and you're less prone to have spinal injuries...

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 02-22-2004, 03:49 PM

Based on how much Kinetic Energy my car absorbed at impact, I would say that my foot was on the brake and the car was out of gear. But I don't think I was applying full pressure, as the car did travel a distance forward and the car was still running. When I resigned myself that I was about to be hit, I used my left leg to place my body into my seat so that my head was against the headrest. I did not tense up, or else I would have been sore today. May not have been the smarted thing, but I did not want my head to be loose in the air.

Thanks for the advice though.

Mike

1994 MR2 Turbo 5MT Black/Prem.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by mchristsen on 02/22/04 12:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 02-22-2004, 08:14 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I think MrElussive is right, that the insurance blame propagates from one driver to another.

<hr></blockquote>

How could you be held responsible for damages if your vehicle was stopped? I suppose the insurance "food chain" may play itself out that way, but you (and your insurance company) could not be held liable if your *stopped* vehicle was forced into another car by a third party. It would be utter nonsense.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My G was the middle of a car sandwitch - bad!