G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G Coupe or 350z roadster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2004 | 09:20 AM
|
G Coupe or 350z roadster

I live here in Southern California. Consideringg35 coupe vs. roadster. Any opinions? I'm beginning to think that in 4 yrs, I might like the roadster better.

Old 02-23-2004 | 10:09 AM
Re: G Coupe or 350z roadster

Drive them both. The performance in 6mt is very comparable since the engine, tranny and frame are basically the same. The G has an 8" longer wheelbase so it actually rides better, less chop and bounce, and it is more luxurious and comfortable in its fit and finish inside. It weighs a bit more than the Z car and is a tad less agressive in its design. I think it is likely to maintain its value a bit better over time, and Infiniti dealers are a step up in service and such. But if you want to get aggressive with the car you can go to performance nissan and places like that which can use their resources to trick out you G to be a mean machine.

Nice decision to have to make. You can't lose either way.

Cpe 6MT/Aero/Prem/ATI/RT cats/Borla hdrs-catbcks/Nismo flywhl-cltch/TS-ECU/Tein flex EDFC/Stillen sways

Old 02-23-2004 | 10:17 AM

Eagle1 made alot of strong points about them both...
I see alot of Z's locally....and to me they are also a very nice car.....the convertible however seems to lose a little in the appearance category....I think the roofline on both of these cars is a strong statement of the cars sportiness...I like the convertible....but I would still prefer the coupe...either one has the sunroof option correct? I know with my coupe having the windows down and the sunroof open it pretty much feel pretty "airy" to me.....plus...in SoCal...wouldn't all that sun beating on the interior all the time tend to fade it alot quicker?
the choice ultimately is yours....your dough go with what your feelings tell ya!!! <font color=blue>2old4this</font color=blue>

04 cpe ivory pearl/willow/5at/prem/sport wheel pkg/clear corners/Piaa's

Old 02-23-2004 | 10:40 AM

If you want a z go with the Touring.
the z is standard with 287 hp 274 lb-ft of torque.
the weight is 3,200 pounds .
if you want more hp go with the nismo a total of 307hp.

Old 02-23-2004 | 11:20 AM
BEYOND HELP
Premier Member

Ditto to all the above.

I just went through what you are doing. I was kind of disapointed with the Z. As a long time roadster owner one of the things that struck me odd was that there is *no* lockable storage space inside the vehicle. This also applies to the the Z coupe, infact there is no glove box at all in either. Imo I also thought the Z's interior was alittle sparce and no options to upgrade it, but you can decide that for yourself. I was also condsidering the Crossfire convertable coming out this summer. Sitting in the crossfire coupe for 5 seconds, it was a non decission. It's a peice of crap and they should be arrested for rebading a mb and selling it as something new.

Well, now onto plan b, keep my mt spyder and buy a coupe. I was going donate the spyder if I had bought the Z to my daughter, she wound up on the short end of the deal. A friend of mine who was going to get a Z coupe and wound up getting a Z roadster mentioned to me to look at the G35.

Went to my local Infiniti dealer looking for a red mt, wound up with a tb at. I bought it on the spot. Infact they wanted to deliver it to me that day, but I didn't want them to rush the extras I was putting on. Went to the bank that after noon, took out the denero, pickup the G the following day and never looked back. BTW, both cars were in inventory. Decissions, decessions, decissions [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] .

As others can attest to here, imo, the G35 has a very high emotional coefcient factor. The last time I had this feeling with a car was my '67 427 vette.

Good luk with whatever you decide, they are both good choices, maybe buy both [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

<font color=red>--------------------------------------------------------</font color=red>
<font color=blue> G35C Twl Blue /Willow 5at Prem Splash Wood More 2 come </font color=blue>

Old 02-23-2004 | 12:54 PM

I thought the 350Z had a glove box behind the passenger seat back, No?

2004 Infiniti G35C-6MT
LR/Willow/Premium/Aero/Splash/BSM
30% Lumar Tint, Invinca Shield (C-Bra),
Z-Tube & JWT Pop Charger

Old 02-23-2004 | 01:10 PM
BEYOND HELP
Premier Member

Yes, I think that there are two compartments behind the seats, but they are not lockable and I would want to try to access them while driving.

<font color=red>--------------------------------------------------------</font color=red>
<font color=blue> G35C Twl Blue /Willow 5at Prem Splash Wood More 2 come </font color=blue>

Old 02-23-2004 | 01:51 PM
Banned

If I didnt need the back seats - i would of went with the Z coupe - only due to the ragtop

04 G35C DG AT
Prem Aero Perf
V1
Blizzaks
R splash Guards

Long Island, New York, USA

Old 02-23-2004 | 02:14 PM

The 350 Z roadster weighs more than the standard 350 Z.
It's a tough decision though. I'm up in the air. The roadster sure would be nice in the California sun though.

2003.5 5AT
Premium Package
Tire/Wheel Package
K&N Filter, Z-Tube, EGK

Old 02-23-2004 | 03:33 PM

The glove box in the Z does lock and a sunroof is not an option on the Z coupe.

2003.5 G35
2003 350Z
2003 Murano SL

Old 02-23-2004 | 07:13 PM

Well, I looked at the two cars a few months back, and I bought the G35 coupe for a couple of reasons.

The main reason is space. The Z is a small car inside. I just got rid of my 1993 300zx convertible, and the new Z convertible is definitely smaller inside. I really like having the extra space in the G.

As others have mentioned, the G does have a nicer ride. But if you are after an all-out sports car, get the Z.

Dave

2004.5 DG/G 5AT Coupe with all options
Sidemarker turnsignal mod
GroundingGear™
2003 Yamaha YZF600R

Old 02-23-2004 | 10:12 PM
|

Thanks for all the input. I've driven both so understand the many points made. One thing i'm concerned about never being a convertible owner is the durability of the soft top. It's a pretty cool mechanism for open/close but unsure of the durability (leaks,holes,etc.) Good thing is that it doesn't rain much in so cal except this week.

Old 02-23-2004 | 10:44 PM

You can always go with a car that has the folding hardtop, like the MB or the Lexus SC430. Either one costs about twice as much as the Z roadster, and eats up about 80% of the trunk space when you stow the lid, and of course they do not perform as well on the road either. And from a design perspective they have nowhere near the heart throb appeal. But......They do have nicer interiors and stereo systems.

Actually I just helped my girlfriend by a new SC 430, and it is a wonderful car. The fit and finish are spectacular, it has 300hp from a V-8 that is silky smooth, birds eye maple wood trim, a paint job that is gorgeous....it is one heck of a machine. Not at all comparable to either the G or the Z. But it is really engineered and built well. You have to respect what it is and how they got there.

Cpe 6MT/Aero/Prem/ATI/RT cats/Borla hdrs-catbcks/Nismo flywhl-cltch/TS-ECU/Tein flex EDFC/Stillen sways

Old 02-24-2004 | 12:39 AM

I think the roadster actually weighs almost as much as the G35 coupe, just for clarification.

My family is actually thinking of getting the 350z roadster too. It's like, once you have one, you must get the other.

My opinion is, testdrive, testdrive, testdrive. Spread the testdrives out so that all the aspects of the car hit you. The try to fit it into the practicality of your life, then consider options, finally consider which one you would personally feel more kick *** in. Thats how I decided Gcoupe over Zcoupe.

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 02-24-2004 | 01:01 AM

Well I am fortunate enough to have both vehicles in the stable, the coupe being mine and the z roadster being my little brothers, so I guess I can add to this discussion. The first things I notice when I drive his car right after mine is, although the weight of our cars are about the same, due to the roadsters gearing it does "seem" to accelerate faster than my coupe. But then you try to stop, and since none of the roadster models come with the Brembo brakes, more effort is needed to come to a hault. (Not saying that the stock brakes are bad, just more comfortable knowing that I have Brembo stopping power) As for the ride quality, it is a little more stiffer and I think lower than the G35c, but for a 22 yr old, its easily bearable. These compromises in comfort are made up in the handling characteristics of the roadster, which are a little better than the G35c (doesnt seem as floaty) The next thing would have to be the interior, or lack there of. Although the interior of the Z is nice, it doesnt even come close to the G35's interior. I especially do not like the plastic/rubbery material they used on the door panels, although I do wish they had used the Z's brushed aluminum for the G. Since there is no roof (technically), you loose the sunglasses holder (not really a big issue) and are stuck with pitiful little dome lights that really cant light much of the cabin. Also, the mirror visors are the same found in typical roadsters. There is a lockable glovebox behind the passenger seat, along with two smaller storage spaces but its a pain trying to get back there with a passenger. Other little tidbits that bother me about the Z's interior are the lack of radio controls even on the premium packaged Bose system, the typical wind/road noise that comes from the top, the lack of rear seats, the large (larger than G35c) blindspots and small rear window, flimsy cup holder (if you can call it one), and door handles that dont unlock when you try to open them (I dont know how many times I find myself fiddling with that little door lock). I guess the creature comforts of the Infiniti have spoiled me. However, the roadster does do what it is designed to do very well, and that is put the top down and drive it fast and hard. There really is nothing more relaxing and stress relieving than hopping in the the roadster on a nice saturday morning and hitting the windy back roads with nothing but the sweet sound of the engine and exhaust whaling in your ears (except maybe when Im riding the bike). After taking a joyride in the roadster with the top down and then getting back into the coupe I really feel almost claustrophobic. Both the cars are great and fun to drive and you really cant loose with either one. I say test drive both and then pick the one that suits your needs the best, or you can just buy both of them, haha. Or if you have a friend that buys the other car you can swap every once in a while. I guess Im lucky to be able to have the best of both worlds, haha. Well I hope this helped somewhat. GL with whatever you decide.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G Coupe or 350z roadster