G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Fujitsubo Exhaust & RT Cats, Cabin Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fujitsubo Exhaust & RT Cats, Cabin Noise

Anyone out there have both the Fujitsubo exhaust and RT high flow cats installed on their coupe? I was looking into getting a Nismo exhaust, but decided against it due to the tip/diffuser location. I think Stillen and RT Cats will be too loud (I heard a sound clip, plus others have purchased this combo and got rid of the cats). This is leading me to the Fuji- RT setup.

So... I have a few questions:

1. What are the combined effects of Fuji- & RT Cats on cabin noise? Could I carry on a conversation w/ the wife and the kids in the back seat while driving to church, or is the noise "too loud" for conversations with the family.

2. Would the RT Cats and Fuji- exhaust be a complete exhaust replacement, or is there another part in between these 2 components I should consider getting?

3. Any ideas of total hp/torque increase over stock w/ only this combination (i.e. no headers, etc...)?

4. What is the weight of the Fuji- compared to stock?

If these questions have been asked in the past I was unable to turn them up in the Search Engine. Thanks again for helping me out!

Neffster

2004 Infiniti G35C-6MT
LR/Willow/Premium/Aero/Splash/BSM
30% Lumar Tint, Invinca Shield (C-Bra),
Z-Tube & JWT Pop Charger

Old 02-28-2004, 12:59 PM
Ohio G Club Member
Re: Fujitsubo Exhaust & RT Cats, Cabin Noise

Neff,
I can't get on FA to see if you could view my pics. My guess is you could because you're deciding against Nismo. I really don't think they're set too far in under the bumper. I hope my pics didn't change your mind on the Nismo. I love the look, sound and performance. To each his own though.

G35C 6MT/Dynashield/Z-Tube/JWT Pop-Charger/Nismo Exhaust & RT Cats

Old 02-28-2004, 02:02 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1 - The Fujitsubo exhaust system (surprisingly) is a very well "mannered" system. The sound is low and mean, and it does NOT resonate into the interior of the car, like many other systems on the market. The exhaust note is kept outside, where it belongs. High flow cats are usually nothing more than "regular cats" with larger diameter tubing. I don't know much about RT cats, but from past experiences with other brands and whatnot, the gains are often minimal, and usually the only outcome, is slightly higher exhaust resonation to the inside of the car, due to their fwd location. I won't say the noise will be too loud or anything like that, but I'll put money on the fact that RT cats at some point may begin to create an annoying resonation which although may not be that loud, may just wanna make ya rip them out and dump them. You want my opinion, don't waste your money on them.

2 - Instead of the cats, I would recommend going with the Fujitsubo Y-Pipe to create a more "complete exhaust system". That's what I would (and have) invest in. If you're still set on getting the cats, I would still look into the Y-Pipe.

3 - The Fujitsubo system with the Y-Pipe will put down a solid, not hyped up, 5 to 6 ponies to the rear wheels. That's a very respectable gain, and there's no loss of low to mid end power. Its one of the only systems that retains all that low end grunt and begins to show real world gains starting at 3K RPM, while others begin at over 5K RPM. The cats, well once again, I've never owned a set of "high flow cats" that have proved to be much power gainers, so maybe an extra pony if that to the rear wheels could be gained?

4 - I don't know the exact weight of the system, nor have I weighed my Fuji system vs the stock setup, but from what I have read, they claim it weighs approx 10lbs lighter than stock.

Lastly, I don't know what you searched under, but by simply entering in the word Fujitsubo, I got tons of posts, most of which would have answered the above questions.

"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a *****, but only enough blood to run one at a time."

Old 02-28-2004, 02:55 PM

i just installed my B&B exhaust today. sounds Sweet! the sound is also kept outside of the car. anyone else have the B&B and agree/ disagree? how about a B&B set up with y pipe? racerx

Laser Red, Willow, 6MT, Premium sport package, Clear markers w/ hid bulbs, Sprint springs, Platinum 20% mirror tint.

Old 02-28-2004, 03:02 PM

Brian- I can't get onto FA either. I posted last night for you to e-mail me the photos you posted because I kept getting a "Forbidden" message at the link you posted. I haven't completely ruled out the Nismo Exhaust yet, but I did get to see some photos on this site and wasn't too sure it was what I was looking for. You're still good for the beer offer though. [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Ducatiguy- Well, I typed in "Fujitsubo & Exhaust", "Fujitsubo & RT" and I got plenty of responses. Many of which were yours. I did not see anyone commenting on noise inside of the car with the Fuji- RT combo (unlike the post on Stillen & RT Cats). I also did not see anything about weight, nor did I see "Exhaust 101" where someone like me could understand what compromises an exhaust system from beginning to end. I did see the layout showing the exhaust and Y-Pipe, but was unsure if I needed anything else w/ that set up.

I appreciate your replies and value your opinion (I most likely will go for the Y-pipes and Exhaust because of your posts), however I promise I spent 2+ hours doing the search. I also saw 2 links to sound bites of people speaking Japanese and them showing off the exhaust tones, and I also saw the sound clip where you scared your girlfriend tearing through an empty parking lot (shame on you [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]).

Again thanks for the recommendation on the RT Cats. It was my understanding that they added quite a few hp alone (close to 10 rwhp) in addition to the 5-7 that the exhaust adds. That's my primary reason for doing the exhaust modifications. I want HP/Torque with out too much noise in the cabin.

Thanks again, and if anyone else wishes to add in put, I'm still interested.

2004 Infiniti G35C-6MT
Z-Tube & JWT Pop Charger

Old 02-28-2004, 03:14 PM

no RT cats are deffently worth money. They have proven gains. I have seen lots and lots of dynos on my350z.com about them and they all show good gain... lest then test pipes but deffently gains in the teens. It will deffently be loader but not super load....

good luck

<a href="mailto:Carlos3186@hotmail....otmail.com</a>

Old 02-28-2004, 03:18 PM

hey neffster. I'm interested in upgrading my exhaust as well. I plan on getting the Kinetix plenum and cats package at around $730 + shipping. I've heard that the kinetix are much quieter than the RT's even though the RT's might have just a touch better flow. There is a big thread on the 'raspiness' on my350z.com right now. Many have taken out the RT cats for the sound alone.

According Jason at Performance Nissan, the bottleneck in our exhaust are the headers, cats, and y pipe. I've ruled out the headers due to the cost and installation logistics. I plan on getting the Jic y pipe and either the nismo or fujitsubo. With the nismo, you'll have to get the 6" extender for an additional $50. I and many others think that both are manufactured by the same company so I will probably go with which ever one costs less.

The only thing I'm certain about right now is that I will not get the RT cats do the feedback from current owners.

Old 02-28-2004, 03:58 PM

Will you need to get the Technosquare (ECU thing-a-ma-bob) if you get the plenum? I wish there was a simple step-by-step showing "the best way" to get torque safely out of our cars. I'm in over my head, but refuse to give up. I'll keep reading and hopefully I'll figure out a way to "quicken up the car" while keeping the 200,000 mile engine from turning into a 60,000 mile pile of metal shavings. Oh yeah, I can't justify ~ $6K on FI at this point (I only have 1021 miles on my baby).

Thanks for the help (now I'm off to go research Kintex Cats...)

2004 Infiniti G35C-6MT
Z-Tube & JWT Pop Charger

Old 02-28-2004, 05:22 PM

True, with RT cat,u can gain good amount of HP. BUT they are LOUD too. I would do Y-pipe if I were you. Also People with RT cat have issue with engine running lean without the ECU mod.

Nismo LM-GT4 19"/Nismo S-tune Suspension/Nismo Sway Bar/Nismo Weldina Exhaust/Stoptech14" F&B/Plenum/Ztube&Nismo filter/Impul&Datasystem/Gwires

Old 02-28-2004, 06:20 PM

I had both the Fujitsubo exhaust, Fujitsubo Y-pipe, and RT cats installed about a month ago. The RT cats made the car so loud that my wife insisted that "put the car back to stock as I have ruined our new car". I had the cats removed and she was happy. The cats would make the exhaust resonate from about 2.5K to about 4K RPMs REALLY loudly. I got a headache on my way home from the shop that installed them. I have been told that the cats need a "break in" period, and that they will quiet down after some time. I decided that even though they really did make some noticable power, the sound was just not worth it. Below is a list of my mods to date.

Makochan

2004 6MT Coupe DG/G/6MT/premium/4 piece aero/navi/19"Volk TE37 Gunmetal/Z-tube/JWT Pop charger/Tein Flex/EDFC/Nismo sways/Stillen rear control arms/Stillen rear tow arms/Performance Nissan Racing front control arms/Polished Crawford Plenum/Nismo Headers/Fujitsubo Y-pipe/Fujitsubo exhaust/TS ECU/Stillen 5wire earthing kit/JDM badging/Alum pedals/Nismo titanium shift ****.

Old 02-28-2004, 07:15 PM

makotochan,

Now that's a very helpful post. Thanks. I guess I'll continue to look into other options as far as high flow cats are concerned. I live in Florida and we do not have auto inspections. I wonder what the results of putting in straight pipes (no cats) would be on sound/performance. Fuji- exhaust and Y-Pipes are in the lead by quite a bit right now, but I want to "exhaust" all my options (no pun intended, well maybe) before I spend my hard earned money. Thanks again everyone!

2004 Infiniti G35C-6MT
Z-Tube & JWT Pop Charger

Old 02-28-2004, 07:25 PM
Ohio G Club Member

Makotochan,
Was the resonate sound a muffled rattle sound? Can you describe the sound your RT Cats made?

G35C 6MT/Dynashield/Z-Tube/JWT Pop-Charger/Nismo Exhaust & RT Cats

Old 02-28-2004, 09:10 PM

BrianlG35C,

The noise was very loud and raspy, but went away after 4k RPM, so I guess you could drive around keeping the car <4K, but gas is $2.45 a gallon..

Neffster,

You might want to consider the Craword cats. I saw a pair when I was at Technosquare getting my car tuned. They are more restrictive than the RT, but better than stock, and Tadashi from TS said they don't make the exahust resonate.

Makochan