G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Heel Toe Shifting Possible?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heel Toe Shifting Possible?

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but I for the life of me cannot imagine how I would heel toe in my 6MT coupe. The brake pedal sits way higher than the throttle so that by the time my toe reaches the throttle, I would have put the brakes on full power. This is annoying when I want to slow down quickly and do a blip to rev match to a lower gear during sharp turns. Instead I have to slow down, do a quick blip and then get on the brake again while releasing the clutch which is more cumbersome and potentially dangerous if I don't time the manuever right. Any thoughts or ideas? Maybe a DIY on recalibrating the brake pedal?

<font color=red>Shibal G-Thang</font color=red>
<font color=blue>'04 TB 6MT Graphite: Aero Pkg, Premium</font color=blue>

Old 04-20-2004, 12:59 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Heel Toe Shifting Possible?

Use your toe to brake and heel to "blip" the throttle. I usually wear Vans and I can heel-toe just by using the left side of my foot to brake and then roll my ankle over to blip the throttle.

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL
PS2 and Headrest Monitors Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 02:23 PM

You could try buying some aftermarket pedals if it's that important to you. I have some from www.autovation.net, and they are awesome. They're specifically made to heel-toe (they have a little extrusion on the left side of the gas pedal for your heel).

2003.5 G35 Coupe 6MT Black/Willow
- Texas Tech Mechanical Engineering - Texas Tech Advanced Vehicle Engineering -

Old 04-20-2004, 02:28 PM

I do it with no problem at all. Your problem seems to lie in the fact that you do use your heel to brake when it is your toe which should be doing it.

APC is my weapon of choice.
APC reeks of great taste.
APC is the greatest aftermarket company in the world!

Old 04-20-2004, 03:55 PM

I've played around with it a few times. I think the biggest problem is that you aren't braking hard enough that you can easily reach the gas pedal. To execute heel/toe, you really need to be on the brakes. If you aren't braking that hard, there's no need to heel/toe. Just my observation. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

gunga

Old 04-20-2004, 05:19 PM

I do it with no problem just practicing (like on on ramps and such). However when you really need to (e.g., braking very hard from 130 to reach a 90mph corner speed, track of course), the gas pedal is a bit high.

Thin-soled racing boots make it easier, but I can still do it in Mephistos as long as I'm not at maximum breaking.

Black/Willow 03.5 6MT, Premium, Navi, Aero, SAT
350Z Nismo CAI

Old 04-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still working on perfecting it, but most of my friends who i let drive my car can do it really easily. (they've driven stick longer than i have) They say the car was made to use heel-toe because its so easy to do in it

Old 04-20-2004, 06:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I don't have a 6MT, I'm very intrigued/interested in knowing what the heck you guys are talking about. After reading some of the posts, I'm trying to envision how you do this, but somehow am not able to clearly understand it.

'03 G35 C Prem Pkg, Navi, Aero, Performance Wheel & Tire Pkg

Old 04-20-2004, 06:54 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i can only heel/toe when i drive barefoot. can't do it in shoes for the reasons mentioned above.

being new to MT, the first time I successfully heel/toed making a corner was an awesome feeling. I can now see why driving a MT is so much fun

Golden Gate G35s

Old 04-20-2004, 07:05 PM

This might be a stupid question... but what is this technique that you guys are talking about?
Please explain to a newbie..

Old 04-20-2004, 07:19 PM

As mentioned by others, heel is at gas, toe is at brake. However, for street cars, usually people do "sole & sole" or "side & side", as described by TentaCinque. I believe heel&toe is only necessary when u need a LOT of stepping force, as in old F1 racing.

The brake pedal being higher is conducive to H&T, esp. since the initial travel of the brake pedal has a small braking effect. However I can H&T comfortably under all braking conditions - from zero braking (in which case it isn't technically H&T) to hard braking.

The caution to the lazy "S&S" technique is that you want to avoid unintentionally stepping on the gas. I occasionally commited that mistake during hard/emergency braking in my beginning days of S&S although no harm is done since I would also have the clutch pedal depressed. This resulted from my habitual positioning of my right foot between brake and gas.

I haven't made that mistake for a very long time. I avoid it by forming the habit of stepping on the right corner/edge of the brake pedal most of the time, with the right edge of my sole beneath the gas pedal.

I wear sneakers all the time. And aftermarket pedals do have a marginal aid to this technique. Thought personally I think it's more for looks. Yes I do have the aluminum pedals

H&T is not just good for fast entry (hard braking). In fact, its most important benefit is allowing you a fast exit, by 1) not jerking the vehicle (hence smoother everything), and 2) allowing you to start accelerate sooner and in correct gear. Mostly, I only not do H&T if it's a turn that i won't be accelerating out of.

If ALL you need to do is slow down before a turn, just step on both the clutch and brake, right?

http://www.imagestation.com/member/?name=bsoo

Old 04-20-2004, 08:52 PM

In my previous post, H&T=double-clutching, though come to think of it, technically H&T is only part of double-clutching. I believe, however, when most people speak of H&T, they mean double-clutching. With that in mind, I'd like clear up a very common misconception regarding double-clutching.

What MrElussive described is not the full DC - some very important steps are missing. Here is the full procedure:

1. Step on the brake.
2. At the same time as #1, or when the time comes, depress clutch pedal.
3. Shift to neutral.
4. Release clutch.
5. While stepping on brake, hit the gas pedal, revving up the engine. This is the H&T part. This is also the essence of double-clutching
6. Depress clutch again. You're still braking and you're *just* finishing free-revving up.
7. Shift down.
8. Release clutch. At this point double-clutching is complete.

NOTES
In reality some of the steps overlap a great deal (but the entire sequence #2-9 is done under a second or even half second, otherwise it's besides the point). These pairs can practically be simultaneous: #2-3, 4-5, 6-7.

Few people know that, in general, 2&4 can be skipped entirely (but it takes some effort and puts stress on gears). Fewer know that 6&8 can also be skipped - under near-perfect rev-matching conditions. I recommend neither because, of couse, they're unreliable techniques.

Lastly, again, under emergency braking, simply step on the brake and clutch, and don't worry about the gas pedal!

Oh, one more thing. Another very useful application of DC is shifting into first gear when you're traveling at anything above 5 mph. For example, you might be on 2nd as you go from level road to uphill, at which point u might need to downshift to 1st without [/i]stopping[/i]. This is nearly impossible to do without DC.

And one one more thing. DC is also very useful for sudden downshifting and acceleration. Like when you're cruising at 75 mph on 6th and decide to race the M3 next to you by shifting into 4th. Without DC you will lose speed when engaging the lower gear. Not to mention a forward jerking motion (of the driver!).

http://www.imagestation.com/member/?name=bsoo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Heel Toe Shifting Possible?