G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

We have an air silencer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: We have an air silencer?

[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] geez no one listens to me. told you it was in the middle of the piping. I guess I wasn't specific enough.

If you take it off the car will still pass smog. It will be a little louder. The 1hp gain isn't really worth removing it. it's just a hallow cannister with perferated holes all along the inner walls of it.

I've gotten many custome made exhaust systems. Honestly I really think the car sounds nicer with a resonator. the difference is a smooth low deep tone with it. Or you get a louder not as deep or smooth tone.

BS G35C 6spd navi/aero/prem

Old 03-10-2003, 11:01 PM

99atlantic,

i have a 96 4.6l t-bird and i know the airsilencer you are talking about looks just like a snorkel underneeth the air box.
our g35's do not have one, we have a ram air style of intake, if there was a intake air silencer you would not be able to see the filter element just frrom popping the hood open.
this also brings up another point, i hear everyone talking about getting a better CAI intake, correct me if i am wrong but we pretty much have a CAI. having a cone shaped filter in the wheel well will not make it any better probably worse.
just my $0.02

Old 03-10-2003, 11:52 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

I remember seeing pictures of the G's engine compartment and i recall seeing 2 air intakes as someone else described earlier...one small one that goes directly to the filter, then there is another one that may be conneced to an "airbox" which reduces engine noise considerably, when taken out...you will receive small HP gains and louder engine noise, especially at high revs.
I dont think the dude in the original post was referring to exhaust.

<font color=blue>-Ramb<font color=red>0</font color=red></font color=blue>
Yeah, Mongolians!

Old 03-11-2003, 12:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See my post above. If you remove the stock intake system two things wills happen. "If" you get a good CAI system it will hopefully comprise of a smooth metal mandrel bent pipe similiar to an exhaust header pipe but bigger ending in some type of cone shaped filter. This does two things, the mandrel bent pipe accelerates the air flow going in by reducing vorticies (think that's how you spell it). The metal pipe instead of plastic will hopefully lose heat faster and stay cooler which inturn keeps the incoming air cooler. Remember Cooler Air+ Faster Air = More HP. That's the how turbo's and super chargers work. That's what the after market Intake in my view is about. The second thing is that it most definately increase noise to some degree as escaping noise from the air, throttle body, and combustion will find it's way back out since there is more resonance. I think that's why they chose thee plastic "primary" and "secondary" box intake system. I made up that name of course because we all know am not an infiniti engineer. I saw this first hand on many honda VTEC intake systems when I had my honda. As soon as you add a high flow intake the thing would scream. I thought it was nice but some others may not. I will get off my soap box now. He He. [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Jason
Laser Red 03' Prem/Aero/6MT/SnRf

Old 03-11-2003, 02:20 AM

I don't know if this applies, but when I had my '92 Eclipse GSX. There was a silencer that was located in the air intake. It was after the air filter element and just behind the M.A.F. When it was taken off I could here the turbo spooling easier (more hp) and the exhaust did sound a little different. I don't know if we have anything like this on our G's (and no, not the turbo), but this thread reminded me of that.

<font color=blue>2003 Caribbean Blue Coupe
6MT Prem, Aero, Nav.</font color=blue>[img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-11-2003, 03:11 AM

Ant [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'm getting a CAI if the turbo doesn't come out soon.

Yes we do have a CAI, but it is still restrictive. The "silencer" in the intake that people keep talking about is the black box. All a resonator does is bounce sound around inside. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Any after market intake eliminates the box and you notice the car is louder.

Acoustics, any body practice music? Been to a theater, opera house for a field trip? Even how Bose created the system in our car, or was supposed to. It's about boucing sound waves off walls.

BS G35C 6spd navi/aero/prem