G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

first post = question for G owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first post = question for G owners

This is my first post. I'm looking into possibly getting a G35 coupe. Man, there are some sweet cars on here. I own a somewhat modded a4 right now ( shocks/springs, software, injectors, exhaust, clutch, 19s, sways, the basic stuff. I've been having the itch to get into a coupe lately. I used to have a 98 Mitsu Eclipse and I loved it. Also had another a4, a couple Celicas. I've always loved the look of the G coupe.

So heres my question: How would you describe the driving experience of your g35 coupe? I'm not worried about maintenance, upkeep or any of that BS. I just want to know how you guys feel about driving the car. Is it quick enough for you, do you look forward to driving everyday? Is it more of a GT car or a sports car? Please forgive my ignorance. I just wanted to hear from people who actually own the car. Yes I plan on driving one eventually, just want to get a head start.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:57 PM
I enjoy it though tbh, I did enjoy my 3000gt more. The G's a hybrid luxury/sport so it's kinda the best of both worlds. I could deff use a bit more power (even though both cars were around the 300 mark, the 3k was TT and awd). RWD is always fun though, kicking the rear out is always fun. So yea, I enjoy it, it's a beautiful car... but I always got more looks in the 3k.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by NoirKyouto
I enjoy it though tbh, I did enjoy my 3000gt more. The G's a hybrid luxury/sport so it's kinda the best of both worlds. I could deff use a bit more power (even though both cars were around the 300 mark, the 3k was TT and awd). RWD is always fun though, kicking the rear out is always fun. So yea, I enjoy it, it's a beautiful car... but I always got more looks in the 3k.

Yeah I did like those 3000 GTs back in the day. My buddy had a red one , stock and it was pretty quick iirc.

I suppose everyone could do with more power So is the ride stiff like the Nissan 350 or is it a little more forgiving? Personally, I'm not looking for a stiiff/sport car ride ( like an s2000) or a cushy ride ( like the current Lexus IS), just something in-between, if that makes sense.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I came from a ford focus to my g35 and i love it. Its got enough power to get me in trouble, but i always want more.... Its got a luxury feel to it but even when driving, you can tell its more sporty than luxury. It depends on how you drive it. when i baby her, its more luxurious.... and when i push her, the sporty-ness shows.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:07 PM
It's deff more cushy than the 3k was, not sure on the 350's as I haven't driven. Also, I'm not a good one to say as my car's dropped with coils... she is nice and smooth around 100+ though I can say :P Also, seems like it's a little bit softer than the 300zx if that helps, but not by much.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Ive owned my G for about 1 month now and here is what i have to say about it...

I LOVE THIS CAR! and yes i look forward to driving it everyday. I came from a Acura CL which was nice but very bouncy "luxury" suspension and stepping into the G was a world of a difference. Mind that i do have the sport tuned suspension, and that I highly recommend (standard on 6MT models 05+) The car is deff more of a sports car, not GT. As far as power goes, i think this car should have 50 more horses from the factory to really really satisfy me.

and for modding...there isnt that much more power you can yield out of these engines with bolt-ons. If you really want to go fast then Forced induction FTW! spend some time on these forums and you find all of your answers. I probably spent several months looking through the forums before i decided on getting the car.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by viceversa
Ive owned my G for about 1 month now and here is what i have to say about it...

I LOVE THIS CAR! and yes i look forward to driving it everyday. I came from a Acura CL which was nice but very bouncy "luxury" suspension and stepping into the G was a world of a difference. Mind that i do have the sport tuned suspension, and that I highly recommend (standard on 6MT models 05+) The car is deff more of a sports car, not GT. As far as power goes, i think this car should have 50 more horses from the factory to really really satisfy me.

and for modding...there isnt that much more power you can yield out of these engines with bolt-ons. If you really want to go fast then Forced induction FTW! spend some time on these forums and you find all of your answers. I probably spent several months looking through the forums before i decided on getting the car.

Thanks for the info, yeah I've been reading alot on this site lately. I'm probably not going to try and get more power from the car, hell my a4 is slow as hell ,around 225-235 chp and I'm cool with it right now ( the turbo helps a bit, turbos are fun).

Old 07-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by NoirKyouto
It's deff more cushy than the 3k was, not sure on the 350's as I haven't driven. Also, I'm not a good one to say as my car's dropped with coils... she is nice and smooth around 100+ though I can say :P Also, seems like it's a little bit softer than the 300zx if that helps, but not by much.

I think the old 300 had a more cushy ride than the current 350, but I could be mistaken. Can you post a pic of your car? What other mods do you have?

Old 07-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I love my G. Bought it new in 03 and have 96,000 miles on her. The car puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it. Just installed coilovers and the car is even more fun to drive. Can't wait to boost her.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:29 PM
I guess my first post here will be a response to your first post. I just traded in my 02 IS for an 05 G35 coupe, and I love this car 10x more. Don't get me wrong, I loved the IS, but the G35 is a step up in sportiness and luxury. The ride is stiff (sport suspension) but definitely does not beat me up. It's a lot better handling than the IS (test drove the new one too) and a lot quicker, but is a bit stiffer, which I obviously like. The old roommate had a 350z and it's fairly similar in ride to that. The G seems a bit softer, but then again, I haven't had it long so it could just be my imagination.

I'd put it at halfway between a GT and a sports car. It cruises well, but when you want to kick it up a notch, it's great for that too. Obviously, it's not at either extreme on that spectrum, but I'd say comfortably in the middle.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by ScottyDoesKnow
I guess my first post here will be a response to your first post. I just traded in my 02 IS for an 05 G35 coupe, and I love this car 10x more. Don't get me wrong, I loved the IS, but the G35 is a step up in sportiness and luxury. The ride is stiff (sport suspension) but definitely does not beat me up. It's a lot better handling than the IS (test drove the new one too) and a lot quicker, but is a bit stiffer, which I obviously like. The old roommate had a 350z and it's fairly similar in ride to that. The G seems a bit softer, but then again, I haven't had it long so it could just be my imagination.

I'd put it at halfway between a GT and a sports car. It cruises well, but when you want to kick it up a notch, it's great for that too. Obviously, it's not at either extreme on that spectrum, but I'd say comfortably in the middle.
I love the feeling of having a new ( to me) car. One of the best feelings in the world.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by paulCru
I think the old 300 had a more cushy ride than the current 350, but I could be mistaken. Can you post a pic of your car? What other mods do you have?
Not very many mods, everything was done before I got the car minus debadging I finally got around to last week. (got sick of people going ZOMG A SKYLINE!! hoW MUCH WAZ THE IMPORTZ MUST HAVE BEEN GAZILLION DOLLARZ) Seriously, those damn movies **** me off. Anyway:

To ref the height diff between a stock suspension dodge stealth r/t TT (3000GT VR4)

And my buddies 300zx I was referring to:

Sorry for image *****... just responding to request :P

Old 07-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Nice, I almost bought a used 300 like that ( it was red too) but decided to go with a new Eclipse instead.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by silver g
I love my G. Bought it new in 03 and have 96,000 miles on her. The car puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it. Just installed coilovers and the car is even more fun to drive. Can't wait to boost her.
wow, that's some driving right there. 5 years and still loving it, that's about a good recommendation a car could get.

BTW, the reason I'm even asking this question is that I haven't heard too much about the coupe's driving characteristics and I've never really heard it described as fun to drive, although I have heard that about the g37 coupe.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:11 PM
I test drove both the G35 and G37. I liked both, but in the end, two things made me decide on the 35. I'm sure the easy one to guess was the cost. Second, even though the 37 has considerably more power, I liked the styling of the 35 more. I'd say the 37 was slightly more fun to drive (50 hp - doh), but clearly I didn't think it was that big of a deal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: first post = question for G owners