G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

A bottomless pit for tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 06:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A bottomless pit for tires?

So i have heard from a few people and a couple review sites that G35 coupes are really bad when it comes to having to replace the tires. Is it true that they are cupping early on and have to be replaced frequently. I have had my eye set on getting a g35 for quite some time, but i dont think i would want to be buying new tires as often as people are saying.

Any incite?

Old 10-04-2008, 07:22 AM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
The car comes from factory with some camber, and when you lower the suspension it only multiplies the damage you are doing to the tires. Alignment and camber kits are a must if you alter the stock suspension. You will be fine

Old 10-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
^ The kind of tire wear people are seeing is not camber... at least the type of tire wear I or my brother with a coupe was seeing is not because of the camber... I currently have more than 1.5 degrees negative camber on the fronts, and I have no problems with tire wear. Toe out will eat up the inside of your tires really bad though.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Most people wear their tires quickly because they're not used to a car with this much power.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just replaced a rear tire that got torn on the road. I talked to the tech that did the swap for me and he was blown away at the shape of my tires. Car has 15K on OEM tires and he seriously estimates that I will get another 15K. He advised that most people wear them out at 10K, Michelins last right at 19K. It's not the tires, it's the drivers. Even with the breathing mods that I have I only gun the car now and then. Crazy azz driving will kill tires in almost any car. 298HP plus aftermarket exhaust and intake mods make people drive like mad. The car is not the problem.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:08 PM
I lasted 16k on my current tires (albiet, I did run the rears to 1/32" and the front's are HEAVILY worn on the outer edges)

Tires average around 4-5k on my car.

This includes 2 track days and probably 80+ canyon runs + misc 'spirited' driving on my way to and from work on on/offramsp.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
19k spirited driving at least two times a week. I probably have 4/32 or 3/32 tread left. still on oem potenzas

Old 10-05-2008, 03:42 PM
hahah i just bought new front tires.. i woke up to drive to work with a flat and no spare :/ but yeah they were so worn on the inside edge. it looked like someone scooped out parts all along the edges.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah I go through tires like they are water.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
Most people wear their tires quickly because they're not used to a car with this much power.

Huh?
Sorry but any car with staggered wheels and unidirectional sport tires is going to have uneven wear/cupping/feathering issues. It comes from not being able to rotate the tires properly and having soft compound sport tires that wear more quickly than touring tires. As an example, my wife's SUV's tires cupped 'cuz she didn't rotate them.

Ultra high performance tires normally have a lower tread life since you want the tires to grip. A harder compound tire will last longer but will provide less grip. Of course, driving like you stole it will wear any tire that much quicker. I don't drive hard and my tires typically last 1.5 to 2 years (I also have winters so this is 6-7 months year).

Last edited by g35dalf; 10-06-2008 at 12:51 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by g35dalf
Huh?
Sorry but any car with staggered wheels and unidirectional sport tires is going to have uneven wear/cupping/feathering issues. It comes from not being able to rotate the tires properly and having soft compound sport tires that wear more quickly than touring tires. As an example, my wife's SUV's tires cupped 'cuz she didn't rotate them.

Ultra high performance tires normally have a lower tread life since you want the tires to grip. A harder compound tire will last longer but will provide less grip. Of course, driving like you stole it will wear any tire that much quicker. I don't drive hard and my tires typically last 1.5 to 2 years (I also have winters so this is 6-7 months year).
The majority of G owners are upgrading from a Camry/Corolla/Civic/Accord/Sentra/Altima/etc.

Theyre all used to a different style of driving that contributes significantly to tire wear. THey'll be stopped at a red light and power through their right turn instead of turning gently and then powering afterwards.

Minor changes to driving habits will contribute SIGNIFICANTLY to tire life. I don't power through low speed low radius turns because my gear-type LSD will chatter through it. As a side effect, my tire life has significantly increased during street driving.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:02 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
most of it depends on how aggresive you drive the car.

Some cant keep the tires for no more then 15-18k

Some keep them more then twice longer then that.

You do get more wear on the inside but it should not be an issue with tires that have symmetrical thread design and can be flipped to even out the wear.

I never flipped my tires and had a good wear.
Even tho it was one sided but I never reached a core rubber on the inside before rest of the tire hit the wear bar.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Can someone please explain to me exactly why the rear tires cup?

Thanks....

Old 10-06-2008, 05:37 PM
cup?

Sorry I havn't heard that term before...

Old 10-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by 2K6G35c
Just replaced a rear tire that got torn on the road. I talked to the tech that did the swap for me and he was blown away at the shape of my tires. Car has 15K on OEM tires and he seriously estimates that I will get another 15K. He advised that most people wear them out at 10K, Michelins last right at 19K. It's not the tires, it's the drivers. Even with the breathing mods that I have I only gun the car now and then. Crazy azz driving will kill tires in almost any car. 298HP plus aftermarket exhaust and intake mods make people drive like mad. The car is not the problem.
There were factory alignment issues with pre-2004 coupes, such as mine, as evidenced by a TSB.

I got 35K out of my base coupe's original RS-As. Remember these are all season touring tires. Just the rears had bad inner wear. The fronts still had 50% of their usable meat remaining. They would have gone at least 50K miles. So I obtained a 50% price proration to replace the fronts at the same time as the rears.

After two alignments the replacement Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdges have not shown irregular wear in 21K miles. And 80% of the tread life exists on all the tires. Even the rears. Extrapolating for the to-date wear, the tires SHOULD make 50K miles easy.

For most other instances you have hit the problem right on its head. Most tire wear depends on how people drive.

I'm the contributor who has managed 40K miles on an original set of Michelin Pilot SXX3s on my 1997 E36 M3. With nary a peep from them until the very end. And those 40 series Z-rated tires had the grip of duct tape. Thank heaven I got that life out of those Michelins because back in 1997 they cost $300 a pop even at Tire Rack.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A bottomless pit for tires?