G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Thinking about getting a G coupe with some reservations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thinking about getting a G coupe with some reservations

Hey guys, I'm new here and really love the G coupes. They are absolutely gorgeous cars. My question has to deal with the irritating things that go along with these cars. I've heard the paint is very soft and chips rather easily. I've also heard the noises in the cabin while driving are almost unbearable, not to mention the sound system.

Are these common in almost all G coupes, or just in rare occurrences? BTW i am looking at a 2006 6MT, and would appreciate any insight. I would also like to know if you would recommend these cars with the problems they do have. I would appreciate it if you would try and be as unbiased as possible.

Last edited by Chronicle_X; 10-17-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
The paint on the bumpers is very soft. My front bumper looked like crap at 13k miles. Interior noises....hmmm, I don't have many. Stereo? I listen to sports radio about 80% of the time so I don't care.

If you are looking at an 06 6MT you should be cognizant of oil consumption issues with that car. Ask your dealer about it and see if there are any service records for the car you are looking at. Don't worry, if your car is consuming an excessive amount of oil then the engine will be replaced.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:56 PM
The paint does suck on the Gs. I have the Black Obsidian color on my G and it gets dirty as soon as you walk away from it. The paint is also very soft and feels "cheap". I mean, I see Toyotas with nicer paint than mine. It doesnt have that sheen that Beemers or Benzes have either.

However, the G is still my favorite car, the design screams sex and I personally have no problems with interior noise, etc etc. Definitely not to a point where you say "unbearable" thats exaggerating too much. I really dont notice it. I say go for it, its a decision you wont regret.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:06 PM
hard noises?
If you've been driving some high end super cars, then yes.. otherwise, the car is a good and quiet car.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Chronicle_X
Hey guys, I'm new here and really love the G coupes. They are absolutely gorgeous cars. My question has to deal with the irritating things that go along with these cars. I've heard the paint is very soft and chips rather easily. I've also heard the noises in the cabin while driving are almost unbearable, not to mention the sound system.

Are these common in almost all G coupes, or just in rare occurrences? BTW i am looking at a 2006 6MT, and would appreciate any insight. I would also like to know if you would recommend these cars with the problems they do have. I would appreciate it if you would try and be as unbiased as possible.
Hey, I'm in the same boat. Am also curious about the problems with the Gs as I am car shopping for one right now. Am looking for an 07' automatic base or journey model.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by badmilk
The paint does suck on the Gs. I have the Black Obsidian color on my G and it gets dirty as soon as you walk away from it. The paint is also very soft and feels "cheap". I mean, I see Toyotas with nicer paint than mine. It doesnt have that sheen that Beemers or Benzes have either.

However, the G is still my favorite car, the design screams sex and I personally have no problems with interior noise, etc etc. Definitely not to a point where you say "unbearable" thats exaggerating too much. I really dont notice it. I say go for it, its a decision you wont regret.
I heard this from others as well. As for the sleek and sexy design of the car, I'm so with ya on that!!! When I view the G35 coupe from the side, I see a lot the same Z32 lines of my 90' 300ZX. That car is so hot the road sizzles when it drives by, although I like your description of it more.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:08 AM
My 07 coupe had a rattle in the right door speaker area but the dealer fixed it. The paint is soft but I don't know how to correct that. Otherwise it's a great car. I previously had a Corvette that had so many problems I won't bore you with. I don't have those issues now.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Any car is going to have some problems associated with it. From what I understand, Audi has some electrical gremlins that are tough to deal with. A friend of mine just traded his M3 in because it was having serious problems (E46). Nothing is perfect, especially cars. If you want to talk about the excessive oil consumption issue with SOME of the revup motors, just Google "excessive oil consumption". The G35 isn't even on the first few pages of results. When I was at the dealership for one of my checks there was a guy there with a Porsche Cayanne Turbo and he was complaining of oil consumption. I'm glad Infiniti stepped up and replaced my engine. I know some other manufacturers wouldn't do that.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:13 PM
love my bose sound system just installed z3 screen but its sweet. almost no cabin noise during driving. windows down all i hear is the sexxy exhaust note.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Considering purchase, don't listen to all the B.S.!

This thread or at least some of the posts are almost comical. Is it Infiniti's
fault that his OB paint gets dusty after it's been cleaned....WTF it's black!
My coupe is an '04 I have zero rattles and really enjoy the Boise system
and have NEVER had a problem. Back to the paint, if you know how to take
care of a vehicles painted surface....clean..wash and wax you'll love the
Infiniti G35 coupe! If you don't know how Driver is a very good place to find
out what it takes....
Gary

Old 10-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Just like Gary said, people exaggerate things way too much. The paint looks excellent as long as you clean and wax it. Just look at sfgr415 car, it looks SICK because he takes care of the paint. If you are really worried the bumper and do a lot of highway, get a clear bra on it.

Everyone who complains about BOSE is an audiophile, or has blown speakers or something, because it sounds absolutely great to the common man. If you do have a problem, it's not that expensive for a new sound system.

Cabin noise isn't even bad. It's quiet and has a nice ride as you would expect from a entry level luxury car. There is a lot of noise if you have tire feathering or cupping which comes from dropping the car without a camber kit, or not having a proper alignment. It's a great car, seriously, every car has it's problems and the G does not have many. It's a forum so your gonna see people complaining about the car all the time and being very critical, but they all still love their cars to death.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:24 AM
Gary & DarkStar thank you!!!

Gary & DarkStar thank you for your words. I agree with you 100%.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:21 AM
through the many forums i've been in, it's easier to complain about the negative than praise the positives...gives us all excuses to upgrade...