G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy for my Coupe?" Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:45 AM
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
G35
Originally Posted by g35-andy
Just messaging to say your car looks great joeb1983. I'd only go with coilovers if you want the extra adjustability. I don't think you'll notice a huge difference in performance as your setup seems good - it's only if you have some very unmatched shocks that it may make a major difference.

Either way, great work!

Thank you! There are a lot more nicer G's on this forum. This one just so happens to be mine.

I'm still on the fence on coilovers. The rational part of me is saying leave it be.

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Ohhh crap I totally forgot you had akebonos.

Yessir. One of my better mods I'd say. Definitely worth the upgrade in my opinion.

Originally Posted by LoSt180
Get blanks if you don't like the sprinkle slot look. I'm on a weight savings diet myself, so may look into the Z1 rotors around black Friday sales time.

Yeah, the end game would be blanks if I can't procure the standard slot.

I had a "light bulb" moment yesterday. I remembered that Z1 sells rebuild kits (new iron and hardware) for their two-piece rotors.

With that, I checked to see if the standard slot was an available option for both the front and rears. They where.

I then proposed that if I purchased a full set, could the irons simply be swapped out before shipping?

They replied: "Let me see if that option is available. Just to confirm, you're needing these for Akebono fitment correct?" So... Fingers crossed!

Anyway, in regards to weight savings, I could not believe how heavy the OEM seats are. I have some affordable reclining seats from JEGS in there now, but the plan is to upgrade in the future. I'm looking at CORBEAU's RRS in leather.

Last edited by joeb1983; 06-20-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:53 PM
G35
Keeping with the intent of this thread, what say you on this SEIBON trunk?

I know some of you already approved over on the sedan thread... Haha!

I think it will go well with the SEIBON TS hood. (It would be painted just as the hood was and I have to have my poly K2 bumper sprayed anyway.)

Old 06-20-2019, 05:39 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Overall I think the hikkatadori trunk looks better, not quite as wild. I have no idea if anyone is still making them though.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
I've been looking for one. I'm sad no one is making them anymore or selling in the aftermarket :cry: .

Old 06-21-2019, 04:50 PM
G35
I went with the SEIBON... I think it will look decent painted. Unfortunately, it is on backorder everywhere.

First time purchasing from Mobb Motorsports. They where on point from the get go and gave me the best deal of the bunch. (Veteran discount and free shipping.)

To me, the lines flow well with both the OEM front bumper w/ lip as well as the soon to be installed K2 bumper.

The skirts have distinct flat and curved lines. Same as the roof spoiler. The hood vents have the flat top with curved bottoms, like a wedge.

Anyway, good news from Z1. Russ was able to make it happen. Regular slotted two-piece rotors for both the front and rear will be shipped out as soon as they are finished.

Last edited by joeb1983; 06-21-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:39 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Let us know how durable the hub finish looks. So nice to not see rust there.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:51 AM
G35
Originally Posted by G2B35AGN
Will do.

Old 07-09-2019, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT
TDX2 Shockwave and ART Pipes Smell Help

Hey everyone,

I am planning my build parts list and I really want the Motordyne ART pips and the TDX2 Shockwave exhaust setup, but I don't want the smell that comes with the ART pipes. I know they are test pipes and they all have a smell, but I am looking for a way to have this exhaust setup without the smell. I have been in a G35 with the ARTs and Shockwave and love the way it sounds but the smell was there for sure.

I see that Motordyne has the XYZ pipe with the HFC module which I can use with the ART pipes to remove the smell and keep most of the gains. The XYZ pipe with the HFC module will not work with the TDX2 Shockwave catback. Anyone done something similar or have any ideas to keep my setup as close to the ARTs and Shockwave sound and performance without the test pipe smell?

Old 07-09-2019, 03:09 PM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by G35_squad123
Hey everyone,

I am planning my build parts list and I really want the Motordyne ART pips and the TDX2 Shockwave exhaust setup, but I don't want the smell that comes with the ART pipes. I know they are test pipes and they all have a smell, but I am looking for a way to have this exhaust setup without the smell. I have been in a G35 with the ARTs and Shockwave and love the way it sounds but the smell was there for sure.

I see that Motordyne has the XYZ pipe with the HFC module which I can use with the ART pipes to remove the smell and keep most of the gains. The XYZ pipe with the HFC module will not work with the TDX2 Shockwave catback. Anyone done something similar or have any ideas to keep my setup as close to the ARTs and Shockwave sound and performance without the test pipe smell?
I have ART pipes with the Invidia Gemini exhaust and the sounds produced by this combo are orgasmic. Retains that VQ tone but meaner and gets loud enough. It was a tough choice but ultimately I felt the Shockwave would be louder than I wanted.

A suggestion would be the MD XYZ and HFC module paired with the Invidia Gemini. Of course, I’m assuming compatibility but I have no clue.

Edit: for what it’s worth, I don’t notice the smell from the ARTs unless I get out of the car or stopped at a light with windows down and the wind just right. You get used to it.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:06 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Use Fast Intentions HFCs instead of the ART pipes.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT
G_zus:
Thanks for the suggestion but I looked around and can’t find anyone who did the combo with MD XYZ HFC module paired with the Invidia Gemini. Plus I have read that the Invidia Gemini is much quieter than the shockwave and I really like the shockwave loudness and exhaust note.

cleric670:
I know FI HFC are good for HFC but I like the ART pipes more due sound and increased power over HFC. Also, I have seen people saying that their HFC break internally which won’t happen with the ART pipes.

I’m looking for an option to have the ART pipes and Shockwave catback without the smell but keep the exhaust note and power. My idea is probably not possible, but I am looking for suggestions.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:14 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Originally Posted by G35_squad123
I’m looking for an option to have the ART pipes and Shockwave catback without the smell but keep the exhaust note and power. My idea is probably not possible....
Your idea is definitely not possible. If you don't have cats, you're going to have smell. The cats are what scrubs the stink away. Of course, you could always go the boso route with the tailpipes to move the stink away....

https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/...ml#post7103551

https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/...ml#post7101539

Last edited by G2B35AGN; 07-10-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:38 PM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
I'm trying to decide between the FI HFC or the Art pipes too. My goal is to retain the VQ sound.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:52 AM
G35

Originally Posted by G2B35AGN
Rotors arrived earlier this week. The hub finish looks pretty durable. I believe they are powder coated and obviously they are noticeably lighter than oem.

The SEIBON trunk came in as well. Its carbon weave and gel coat are far much better than my hood was. I almost feel quilty for getting ready to paint it...

Anyway, after much research, I think I've found a set of coilovers that are the best bang for the buck. ST (a subset of KW) XTA's.

What say you?

Nonetheless, here is their discription for those interested:

" For those who demand the absolute best performance comes the ST XTA coilover. The full driving behavior of your car can be adjusted using KW damper technology along with an adjustable aluminum uniball top mount for fine-tuning of the camber and caster!

Performance driving in mind: ST XTA coilovers feature KW damping technology which allows the suspension to be made either stiffer or softer depending on the driving conditions. This damping adjustment is made on the upper end of the chromed piston rod allowing the setup to be changed almost instantly. If the rebound force is increased, the car will drive with more track stability and reduced bodyroll. If the rebound force is decreased, the car will feel more comfortable when on the move. For increased performance, the ST XTA features an aluminum adjustable topmount allowing the camber and caster to be adjusted depending on your driving needs or vehicle setup.

Easy lowering adjustment: Like all ST coilovers the lowering adjustment is made via a continuous thread on the galvanized strut. This even allows the lowering to be made when the kit is installed by turning the spring plate higher or lower! NOTE: The lowering of each vehicle differs greatly with ST XTA coilovers due to the type of construction. For example, older vehicles such as the Honda Civic (EJ9) can be lowered between 40-75mm with ST XTA coilovers, while newer models such as the Audi S3 (8P) can be lowered between 10-40mm due to being much lower from the factory.

KW Engineering: Exclusive for ST suspension: The high-quality ST XTA coilover is based on the twin-tube damping principle of low friction combined with pressure-resistant damper housings. Manufactured directly at KW, a mono block guide and seal package reduces the friction of the damper as well as protecting it against corrosion and dirt. Each galvanized strut is sealed multiple times to ensure maximum longevity in ALL weather conditions.
  • Latest damping technology for maximum longevity
  • Reduced system friction for effective damping adjustment
  • Individual lowering within the TÜV-tested adjustment range
  • Front and rear axle (when possible) with thread adjustment
  • Galvanized coilover struts with additional coating for an optimized corrosion protection
  • Complete solution with adjustable spring plate, race spring system and bumpers with dust protection
  • Aluminum adjustable uniball top mounts (when possible)
  • Externally adjustable damping
Lowering:

Front Lowering: 0.4" to 1.6"
Rear Lowering: 0.4" to 1.6". "

Old 07-12-2019, 10:41 PM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Are you planning to track the car? I'm curious as to whether the 2-piece are worth it for street driving.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy for my Coupe?" Thread