G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy for my Coupe?" Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:02 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I HAD the nismo exhaust (just got rid of it) and it is sweet. and it definitely is not the best performance exhaust but it does sound good. With exhausts though it's all personal tastes, videos online don't do much since it just varies, best bet is to listen to them in person but if you cant than just go with videos and just try your best to narrow it down from there in terms of performance, looks, and sound. Everyone has their own opinions on them and you will too.

You want something decent go with Motorydyne's ART pipes or some Berk HFCs and if you want boost maybe go true dual such as fast intentions or something of the sort.

SEARCH is your friend.

I wouldn't focus on just the intake, a simple ztube with revup airbox and K/N drop in is fine, or whatnot. IF you go boost then obviously that stuff is irrelevant. Who knows, focus on a decent plenum, maybe kinetix or if you got the money, try the Cosworth plenum, yadda yadda yadda. Search around.
If you want a tune, I recommend the osiris tune.

Also rims who knows, so many styles, just search around, look at the pics on this site, there's plenty of them, thousands of members each with their own wheels and different kits from bumpers to simple lips, and whatnot.

Searchsearchsearch. You did some already which is good, now continue. Then post pictures once you get some decent mods done.

Welcome to Driver.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

thanks tofu, I appreciate the response, do you think it is necesary to run a tune once I upgrade intake and exhaust, i would assume it would make the car run lean since more air is being let into the engine, any suggestions anyone?

Old 03-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Official Sponsor of the Florida G35 Club
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Love the sound of the Nismo Exhaust .

B@t

Old 03-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Question smoked tail lights ? headlights?

I also wanted 2 black out my tail lights, ive heard of the spray on like but im not really about that, the overlays look good but how do you install them, the same way you apply tint, does anyone know how hard they are to put on, and do they peel?

Old 03-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by NattyBoh27
I also wanted 2 black out my tail lights, ive heard of the spray on like but im not really about that, the overlays look good but how do you install them, the same way you apply tint, does anyone know how hard they are to put on, and do they peel?
Do not spray them yourself they come out very crappy and cheap and you will not get a high gloss.. a body shop can do them for like 100$.. they use 80% clear coat and 20% black paint.. look at Bluebatmobiles threads for overlays.. they apply like tint i beleive or similar to a decal.. my friend had them when dont right they didnt peel.. however they might.. your best bet is a shop though..

Some people say to do VHT nightshades spray can.. dont waste your time or money they come out horribke 90% of the time and your gonna have 2 buy new lights.. i dont know what state you live in or if they care too much but spraying is irreversable.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Yeah i definatley do not want to permanently do it the overlays seem to be the best way and i think they can come off if i mess them up or i decide i do not like them , i like the ones with cut outs in the overlays but i feel like they would peel easy , if any one has done it or knows someone that has it done let me know what you think

Old 03-10-2011, 09:18 PM
any installation shop will do it.. i have a chain out by me called speedworld they do it there

Old 03-13-2011, 01:34 AM
i put on overlays about 6 months ago and no signs of them peeling. Its like tint you just gotta be patient and make sure you work out all the bubbles which is tedious. I have the cutout ones they move alot while ur installing them but just stay with it its not too bad. when ur done just use and hair dryer on the edges and an exacto knife if necessary to make the inside edges match.

Last edited by G35INTHE260; 03-13-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:36 AM
On a fun note I spent all day installing my new Magnaflow exhaust, Z-tube w/Pop charger, R1 drilled n slotted rotors, and Hawk pads.
My jack actually gave in and dropped in the middle of the exhaust install, THANK GOD FOR JACK STANDS!

Old 03-13-2011, 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by G35INTHE260
My jack actually gave in and dropped in the middle of the exhaust install, THANK GOD FOR JACK STANDS!
That's why they say never to fully rely on just the jack! Glad you didn't get hurt. Sounds like you had a helluva day :P

Old 03-13-2011, 02:09 PM
how the z tube and pop charger working out for you notice any differences, nice sound? always gotta have the jack stands for that reason cant trust them ?

Old 03-15-2011, 07:34 PM
how the z tube and pop charger working out for you notice any differences, nice sound? always gotta have the jack stands for that reason cant trust them ?
I went with the Z-tube and popcharger because with the other cold air intakes you run the risk of Hydro Lock if you drive it in the rain because the filter is down in the bumper/wheel well. Unless you got a short ram CAI.
But I am very happy with it. Has a nice Psssssspp sound and once you get the factory intake with the huge resonator on it out it adds quite a bit of growl.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by G35INTHE260
I went with the Z-tube and popcharger because with the other cold air intakes you run the risk of Hydro Lock if you drive it in the rain because the filter is down in the bumper/wheel well. Unless you got a short ram CAI.
But I am very happy with it. Has a nice Psssssspp sound and
once you get the factory intake with the huge resonator on it
out it adds quite a bit of
growl.
Ive heard there is a horse power loss between stock air filter and the z tube wit pop charger? Have u noticed any performance changes , and has anyone chanded there MAF sensor to a higher performance one i heard they really can help throttle response

Old 03-16-2011, 12:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Billabongi
I'm new so bare with me. Can someone explain the spacer thing to me on what exactly its doing to create the horsepower, cause I'm perplexed on how a spacer is creating 8-10 hp.

Also anybody know where to get a oem Ztube for cheap haha.... I've been looking around and havent had much luck.

i gave up looking for a ztube years ago and just bought one off stillen.com. def difference in sound, powerwise, its not noticeable.

about the motordyne thing, after reading pages and pages of research when i was about to get mine. spacers are only good for the NON rev up motors (03-04), UNLESS you also purchase the mrev2 intake lower plenum for the rev up motors(05-07). but if you have the rev up motor, the thermal upgrade would be good, which prevents LOSS of power, not forking out more.

i wish someone told me this when i was doing research so i didnt have to spend hours reading on it haha.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive heard there is a horse power loss between stock air filter and the z tube wit pop charger? Have u noticed any performance changes , and has anyone chanded there MAF sensor to a higher performance one i heard they really can help throttle response

the power loss is from heat soak. the popcharger is a short ram intake with a pretty awful heat shield. the only intake with a good heat shield is oem revup or stillen. now as long as you keep air flowing into the intake you should be fine. but at a stop + hot outside you will feel the power loss from the heat soak. it gets annoying, which is why i got rid of my popcharger.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy for my Coupe?" Thread