G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy for my Coupe?" Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jiew
anybody know the paint code for obsidian black?
kh3

Old 06-29-2013, 02:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 06-29-2013, 04:02 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
No good

Old 06-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottiep33G

Nah man save up the extra cash and buy some BC racing coilovers. It'll give you a good drop and its a great suspension for the price. Know quite a few people with these including myself and they're great.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:13 PM
G35 Modification Suggestions, Just Got My G :)

Hey guys, I just joined this website today and I just recently purchased my G35 in May.
I just wanted to say hello, and ask a question regarding modifications.

For my G, I want to add a MD 5/16" plenum spacer, a ztube, OEM Revup airbox, and a K&N drop in filter or AMSOIL filter.
I have a 2003 Black Obsidian G35 Coupe 5AT, and these are some of the modifications that I want to add soon. Would you recommend this setup as a starting point? Also, I don't wan't to go to far into modifcations such as adding in FI or anything over the next few years.
So what are your thoughts and what else would you recommend I do. My budget isn't really too high right now so what else should I add for under 750$. I know thats not too much to work with at the moment but I'm going to be saving up over the next few months.

Thank you, I appreciate any help that you guys give.

Last edited by YCVICK916; 06-30-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:23 PM
BTW, I also forgot to add in that I would like to have 06 OEM Projector Headlights but I will have to get those in the future along with the clear side markers instead of the yellow ones that are currently on there.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:42 PM
Received 218 Likes on 187 Posts
Ditto

Old 06-30-2013, 08:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 06-30-2013, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,031 Likes on 948 Posts
Originally Posted by YCVICK916
Hey guys, I just joined this website today and I just recently purchased my G35 in May.
I just wanted to say hello, and ask a question regarding modifications.

For my G, I want to add a MD 5/16" plenum spacer, a ztube, OEM Revup airbox, and a K&N drop in filter or AMSOIL filter.
I have a 2003 Black Obsidian G35 Coupe 5AT, and these are some of the modifications that I want to add soon. Would you recommend this setup as a starting point? Also, I don't wan't to go to far into modifcations such as adding in FI or anything over the next few years.
So what are your thoughts and what else would you recommend I do. My budget isn't really too high right now so what else should I add for under 750$. I know thats not too much to work with at the moment but I'm going to be saving up over the next few months.

Thank you, I appreciate any help that you guys give.
The world is yours my friend.

The reviews on this forum will give you both the positive end and the negative end of the spectrum on anything you want to do to your G. Just know this, your G is already plenty of fun. Think about this before you wrench into anything that was designed for a reason by the manufacturer. The z tube, K&N, and air box are easy to do in minutes in your own garage. If your engine lower cover is the oem plastic you may want to consider the aluminum upgrade as many G owners experience this piece eventually dragging.

These are just recommendations, and ultimately you are the one who drives this car. You shouldn't let others sway you from your own choices.

Best of luck,
Urban

Old 06-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
The world is yours my friend.

The reviews on this forum will give you both the positive end and the negative end of the spectrum on anything you want to do to your G. Just know this, your G is already plenty of fun. Think about this before you wrench into anything that was designed for a reason by the manufacturer. The z tube, K&N, and air box are easy to do in minutes in your own garage. If your engine lower cover is the oem plastic you may want to consider the aluminum upgrade as many G owners experience this piece eventually dragging.

These are just recommendations, and ultimately you are the one who drives this car. You shouldn't let others sway you from your own choices.

Best of luck,
Urban
Thank you very much for your input. I really appreciate it. I just wanted to know some suggestions of what people have done to their G's and how they've liked it.
Thank you though once again.

How do you think my G would respond to the following mods that I listed above though?

Old 06-30-2013, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by YCVICK916
Thank you very much for your input. I really appreciate it. I just wanted to know some suggestions of what people have done to their G's and how they've liked it.
Thank you though once again.

How do you think my G would respond to the following mods that I listed above though?
All of the mods you listed are the simple ones that a lot of members recommend for those first bit by the mod bug.

The plenum will definitely give you the most gains (per charts and opinion of Dyno runs) along with a brilliant whine in the higher RPM's. Some g owners don't like this. but it is purely your motor sucking in more (for the better). The z tube will see minimal gains. Everyone driving a 5at recommends replacing the oem air box with the revup sir box, your choice there. K&N? Do it as soon as possible haha.

As for FI Stuff, I would FOREVER avoid this because it only breaks down your engine faster and at that point I consider it ricey for our cars. If you want a true racer go rent a car built for the track, not one on the same road that drunks and soccer moms drive on .

In other news, Have you any prior experience with performance vehicles before your G?

Old 06-30-2013, 11:18 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
As for FI Stuff, I would FOREVER avoid this because it only breaks down your engine faster and at that point I consider it ricey for our cars.
Exactly how is FI considered rice???

Old 06-30-2013, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

I'll retract my statement, after using wiki to find the exact definition of rice that was completely inappropriate.

I just see it as a waste of money when there are greater gains to be made on a car built for it like a Z06, etc. The G was built to go fast, why should one stuff in so much more unnecessary power for road driving?

Old 07-01-2013, 02:40 AM
All of the mods you listed are the simple ones that a lot of members recommend for those first bit by the mod bug.

The plenum will definitely give you the most gains (per charts and opinion of Dyno runs) along with a brilliant whine in the higher RPM's. Some g owners don't like this. but it is purely your motor sucking in more (for the better). The z tube will see minimal gains. Everyone driving a 5at recommends replacing the oem air box with the revup sir box, your choice there. K&N? Do it as soon as possible haha.

As for FI Stuff, I would FOREVER avoid this because it only breaks down your engine faster and at that point I consider it ricey for our cars. If you want a true racer go rent a car built for the track, not one on the same road that drunks and soccer moms drive on .

In other news, Have you any prior experience with performance vehicles before your G?
Thank you very much for that information. I planned on getting the 06 OEM rev up air box and also throw in a K&N Air Filter or AMSOIL Air Filter. And no, this is my first car that I've wanted to add modifcations too. Just slight modifcations, I honestly like the way this car drives on a normal basis.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy for my Coupe?" Thread