G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Jim Coleman and Infiniti have declined warranty repairs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, just read the whole thread, Good Luck!

Old 08-09-2009, 11:36 PM
good luck, that sucks

Old 08-11-2009, 11:46 PM
good luck, keep us posted

Old 08-12-2009, 12:33 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Good luck with your meeting today. Bring a copy of the Magnusson-Moss Act with you and ask them at which point they proved your exhaust caused the problem.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:06 PM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Any update on the meeting?

Old 08-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
wow this is pretty intense, wonder why i never noticed this thread till now?!

Old 08-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
any updates?

Old 08-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Banned
i hope riverside infiniti is cool. i've heard good things about them.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys, latest update... Can't tell you the details of the arbitration but overall it was quite the experience... It was supposed to take less than an hour but it ended up taking over 3. Mostly because I finally got to meet my accuser so I took the opportunity to speak in length with him. Second because I doubt that most of these arbirations contain two people that technically know what they are talking about and can challenge eachother which is what happened between myself and the rep. The arbitor was excellent, I give him credit for hanging in there and overall the BBB process was well done and they stuck very closely to procedure. In the end it's a toss up, I think my case was very well documented, my "cross examination" was thorough, and overall comparitively I think I was better prepared than the rep. One interesting part is that the decision of the arbitor is binding on the manufacturer but NOT on me so if I disagree I can continue down other paths such as local county consumer protection agencies or the States Attorney's office. Does a siding with the manufacturer hurt my case, probably, but you still have options if you choose to go further. Frankly I kind of enjoy the fact that this car is still costing them money Anyway I should hear something n the next week or so.

Meanwhile, the engine that I bought from ZFever got shipped to the wrong location... Once it was finally located by the shipping company it was damaged. So Doug down at ZFever spent the better part of the day sourcing an engine with similar mileage on it as the one he sold me. He found one but it couldn't be farther away except in Hawaii or Japan... The engine came from Washington State and is still on it's way. Doug said the guy told him it had 8900 miles on it but I CarFax'd the VIN and it came back with 11k miles on it. Salvaged engine which is OK and still 2k less miles than what I paid for. Doug being a man of his word got me the engine despite it costing him more to ship and to buy. Thanks Doug again!

I'd also like to thank Mike Mahaffey of AAM who has kept in touch to find out what more he could do to help, all without being compensated. Thanks Mike!

Believe it or not, I'd also like to thank Aaron Driver at JCI... Most of you are probably scratching your head like "WTF? why thank him!" Well, to tell you the truth, a lot of the documentation I got (of course I asked for it) wouldn't be in my hands if it wasn't for Aaron so thanks for helping me out by supplying me with all of your documentation.

I can't tell you all how much of an ordeal this has been... It's now been almost 3 months since this all took place. I have a car body in one garage and a mass of parts and an engine in another (all taken apart like it didn't matter because the engine would be replaced anyway...) I've ordered a piston for the engine since there appears to be 0 damage to any other components. I plan on rebuilding it and getting it tested. I'm not sure if I'll sell it to recoup some of the costs or working it into my '79 280ZX rebuild that I'm currently working on... Of course, if this all goes my way and the arbitor rules in my favor then I supposed I'll have to let Nissan have the old engine in multiple pieces... Who knows... At this point you just have to roll with it...

I wish I could tell you the details and/or post the recording because it was quite entertaining but alas as part of the Arbitration deal I can't

I will let everyone know how things progress with the new engine and such... Maybe post a video of the celebratory turn of the key that will (fingers crossed) bring my beast back to life again.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Sounds like it worked out for you, but it sucks you can't get into the details.
I hope you got reimbursed for your time too...although I have my doubts about that.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Wow..... just wow.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:17 PM
How long until you get the decision from the arbitrator? Good luck. If it doesn't go your way, meet with some lawyers and see if any will take your case with their payment being contingent on winning, that way you won't have any out of pocket legal expenses.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey all -

Latest update. Nothing from the arbitor yet, hopefully in a couple of days.

Finally got my engine on Tuesday last week. Despite a few broken pieces it was in great shape, nothing major.

Started working on it at about 10:00 and by 2:30 I had it bolted in and the harness on. Felt pretty good to see that gaping hole filled in finally! Then I noticed that I had a few extra connections both on the engine and on the harness.. I used the harness that came with the engine...and... it was for a A/T not a M/T! Luckily you can fish the engine harness back without taking the engine out and I put my old harness back in. Took me about 2 hours.

As I got into putting the car back together the amount of bolts, nuts and miscellaneous items missing and the dumb *** things they disconnected became apparent. Suspension bolts loosened, rear driveshaft loosened. Unreal.

So after I cobbled together enough bolts and nuts to put the car back together again I go to start it and the fans come on, security light comes on, and the car just cranks. Hook it up and the ECU is no where to be found.

After hours of checking and double checking every connection and ground possible I've succumbed to making an appointment with Infiniti of Tysons because at this point I need a CONSULT II to diagnose where the break is and I'm not spending $6,500 for that POS! Goes in Thursday and I hope and pray that I get to drive it back on that same day.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:29 PM
I would think that the Infiniti TSB about this issue is more than enough proof to prove your case. The audacity of them blaming your exhaust mod is the cause of this problem is really mind blowing. If you were to go on with this case you can totally discredit their case and their reps just because they stated your mods were the problem. Obviously none of those people have any business working at Infiniti or let alone try to build a case against you about technical motor issues. Hope all is well :-)

Old 08-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
Originally Posted by G356MTBB
Hey all -

Latest update. Nothing from the arbitor yet, hopefully in a couple of days.

Finally got my engine on Tuesday last week. Despite a few broken pieces it was in great shape, nothing major.

Started working on it at about 10:00 and by 2:30 I had it bolted in and the harness on. Felt pretty good to see that gaping hole filled in finally! Then I noticed that I had a few extra connections both on the engine and on the harness.. I used the harness that came with the engine...and... it was for a A/T not a M/T! Luckily you can fish the engine harness back without taking the engine out and I put my old harness back in. Took me about 2 hours.

As I got into putting the car back together the amount of bolts, nuts and miscellaneous items missing and the dumb *** things they disconnected became apparent. Suspension bolts loosened, rear driveshaft loosened. Unreal.

So after I cobbled together enough bolts and nuts to put the car back together again I go to start it and the fans come on, security light comes on, and the car just cranks. Hook it up and the ECU is no where to be found.

After hours of checking and double checking every connection and ground possible I've succumbed to making an appointment with Infiniti of Tysons because at this point I need a CONSULT II to diagnose where the break is and I'm not spending $6,500 for that POS! Goes in Thursday and I hope and pray that I get to drive it back on that same day.
Go see David Jacobs. He'll take great care of you!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Jim Coleman and Infiniti have declined warranty repairs