G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Well, it happened to me.....argggg

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 02:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it happened to me.....argggg

My gas tank door malfunctioned and locked shut, of course when my tank was almost empty. I ended up having to pry it open almost breaking the door. Filled that tank up full for now and will take it to Infiniti soon. Wow, $38 grand for this???

2004 6MT Coupe Graphite/Graphite / Performance / Premium / Sirius / Navigation / Clear Bra / Aero / Trunk Mat / Splash

Old 07-28-2004, 03:08 AM
Re: Well, it happened to me.....argggg

how can it shut its not electronic ?

Old 07-28-2004, 03:21 AM

Did you unlock both doors with the power lock button? I think that when I get out and don't unlock the door with the button the gas cap stays locked.

<font color=blue>2004.5 Coupe ^ 5AT ^ DG/W ^ Z Tube</font color=blue>

Old 07-28-2004, 07:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto....car automatically relocks and includes gas filler door.

"I like you.....You remind me of myself when I was young and foolish"

Old 07-28-2004, 08:29 AM

LOL!

Old 07-28-2004, 08:45 AM

sounds like user error to me. nice work

Old 07-28-2004, 10:33 AM

Scottkusf,

How ironic....I just made a post myself about this!! Weird...anyway, the same thing happened this morning to me. I did hit the unlock botton on both the inside car and keyfob (to cover all my bases) and it still would not open. This is crazy!!! Now I have to leave work with the towing company and have Infiniti fix it, which is 70 miles away from where I live. Please read my other post.

To the "ryno" guy, I think he made a pre-judgement about you too soon as this is a documented issue with these vehicles...just like the dang window motor crap. Of course anyone is entitled to throw out sarcasm...but this issue really isn't a funny one. My $.02.

Old 07-28-2004, 11:19 AM

Try pushing the gas filer door at the same time that you unlock the car w/ the keyfob. You'll have to get the timing right. Still take it to the dealer of course but it might enable you to at least fill up before you go. There is probably a problem with the gas door locking mechanism or the tensioner or spring inside causing it not to fully release except for the split second that the car attempts to unlock it.

2003.5 G35C 5AT
Premium Package
Tire/Wheel Package
K&N Filter, Z-Tube, EGK

Old 07-28-2004, 11:28 AM

What, you guys are joking right?? A locking mechanism on the gas door?? Sorry, no locking mechanism on the gas door. Since I bougth this car last year, I have filled it up dozens of times, and never hit any unlock button, no keyfobs to push, no tapping your head while rubbing your tummy, no car voodoo dolls, simply a badly made spring door to push open.

I got caught in the same manner, the door jammed shut, and I was driving from New Jersey to Montreal (10 hour rodar trip). I had to force my key in between the crack of the door and my car and force it open. In the action, I broke off some piece of white plastic, but the door still spring locks open and closed without any problems now. So I am assuming that it was that white piece of plastic that I broke off that solved the problem.

So in closing, if something is giving you a problem, break it some more and it will get fixed. Joking, go see the dealer, it is a problem with the G35c.....

Old 07-28-2004, 12:03 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes a locking mechanism on the gas door...
lock your doors and the gas door gets locked also.

if not, then anyone can put crap in your gas tank, or siphen gas out...

04 / BO / G / aero / splash / prem / perf / cc / 22%tint
z-tube / k&n drop-in / Eclipse AVN / side-blinker mod

Old 07-28-2004, 12:08 PM

I've only had this happen to me once and from what I've experienced all you have to do is unlock your car with the key fob cause everytime I locked my car the gas lid would be locked but of course everytime my car is unlocked the gas lid would be unlocked. I don't know if your experience is any different but good luck anyways.

John H.
President of Houston's Premier Printing
2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe 5AT-Ivory Pearl-Premium Pkg-Performance Pkg.
My G

Old 07-28-2004, 12:39 PM

Gee, then I learned something new about our cars, a lock on the gas door. Makes sense, but why is it that I have been gas'ing up my car up until now and never even touched the unlock button on the door or never used the keyfob after getting out of the car, and the gas door opened on every occasion?? Maybe when someone opens the driver's door it automatically unlocks the gas door, and this action may not always work, hence the need to use the keyfob at times.

Well at least I don't have to worry about jammed gas doors anymore since I am quite sure that white piece of plastic I broke off by accident was the door lock. The door still springs open and closed though without a problem.

Is this gas door locking mechanism mentioned in the handbook along with a "how to unlock it" ??? Seems not everyone knows about this feature, including the dealers...

Old 07-28-2004, 12:41 PM

neils,

That's from page 3-12 of the 2004 user manual. If you have a 2003 search for "fuel filler lid" in the index.

Maybe yours broke but in the unlocked state. . .

<font color=blue>2004.5 Coupe ^ 5AT ^ DG/W ^ Z Tube</font color=blue>

311099-fuel_filler_lid_lock.JPG

Old 07-28-2004, 12:44 PM

Wow, cool feature, now you're making me think about going to get that white plastic piece put back on for security measures (the one I broke off when trying to pry the gas lid open with my key)..

Thanks...

Old 07-28-2004, 01:15 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"but why is it that I have been gas'ing up my car up until now and never even touched the unlock button on the door or never used the keyfob after getting out of the car, and the gas door opened on every occasion??"

to get out of the car, dont you need to unlock the drivers side door? or do you crawl out of the window???

04 / BO / G / aero / splash / prem / perf / cc / 22%tint
z-tube / k&n drop-in / Eclipse AVN / side-blinker mod

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Well, it happened to me.....argggg