G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

'06 headlight Problems in an '03....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 headlight Problems in an '03....

So I took my 03 G35 in to them to fix my headlights. I have the 06 headlights and a Kenstyle bumper with fogs. Everything was working fine for the last couple months and then just the other day my passenger side projector stopped turning on. The fog lights on the bumper also stopped working.

I figured that the lights were just dead.

So I took the car into Infiniti thinking it would be a small repair. Guy calls me up and tells me that my wiring is really messed up and it's going to take a long time to fix it. Says all he can quote me is $120 and hour and he's thinking it will take 3 hours. My car has been with them since Friday. Haven't heard back from them yet but this sounds a bit bogus to me.

He also said my headlights weren't covered under warranty because they are from an 06. That doesn't make sense to me because it is still an Infiniti part that they even sell as an upgrade out of their own dealership in the parts department.

Anybody else have this problem or know what I should do about it?

Old 12-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
First off;
It's hardly fair to call out Riverside when your car has retrofitted headlights with custom wiring.
How can you expect them to quote a job for something that is no longer OE?

..I would suggest a thread title change!!!!

Old 12-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
^^ +1

Riverside has a very good reputation.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:01 PM
battle froggy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what kinda custom work did u do to the 06?

Old 12-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Who have you been talking too at the dealership?

Old 12-14-2009, 03:42 PM
Banned
This is not calling out Riverside.... It's just me pointing out a problem that I'm having and wondering what the fair solution is.

When I'm called and told that a job that IMO should be small is going to take several hours at 120 per hour, I think it's fair for me to question what's going on.

This is an 03 G35 with the 06 headlights plugged in. Sounds pretty simple to me. The fog lights are wired to the headlights. I don't think that should be too complicated of a fix. Certainly not $300 worth of work.

I've been talking with Ben on this occasion. My past experiences where with another guy.....I actually preferred the previous guy that I worked with. I didn't get the feeling that he was ever trying to rip me off. Ben on the other hand.....

Old 12-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Your title "Riverside Infiniti Problem..." is definitely calling them out!

Old 12-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Banned
Ok well when it's not a problem that I'm having with what they are trying to charge me (which IMO is excessive) I will gladly change it.

I've taken my car in there to get my brand new slotted rotors, steel lines, pads, compression rods, etc and all the work would get done in a day. Price was told up front. Even though it was a lot more than other places would charge, because of the work that I was aware of, I accepted it.

In this case, it's simply my headlights. 06 on an 03. Supposed to be plug and play only these of the addition of fogs. I'm thinking the job won't take long at all and then I find out that it's going to be upwards of 300 and I won't find out any more until later today at the earliest.

Up until this point, I've really liked Riverside Infiniti. I'm planning on buying a G37 convertible some time in the next several months and was planning on going through them.......I hate feeling like I'm being hosed though.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Who wired the fogs?

Old 12-14-2009, 03:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'v ordered tons of stuff from Tony before, everything has been delivered on time and as promised. Never a single hitch. If you're dealing with custom wiring and retrofitting 06' headlights into an 03', YIKES! There's probably no set price for this and you're probably looking at paying top dollar anywhere you go. I always wondered what the result could be of customizing your car that much. Guess now we know it ain't cheap. GL with your resolution. I'm sure whatever they do they will be fair.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Banned
Yea I've bought stuff through their Parts department before. They were very easy to deal with and always beat prices......

From my understanding 06's go into the 03 easily...simply plug and play. There are a lot of members on here that have done it.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:05 PM
I spent about an 40 minutes to an hour on the phone with Rick today. He was nothing but helpful and easy to work with, I didn't have a part number or even a name just a vague explanation and he figured it out for me and got it going and shipped.

Slandering their name is pretty much impossible anyways.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
I was just there on Saturday to pick up my OEM lip and also to address a TSB for my 08 sedan front brakes. Top notch service from the parts & the service advisors, great prices, and was able to get a brand new set of front brake pads, rotors, backing plate, hardware at no cost. Everything in just about 2 hrs. I drove out all the way from Irvine to Riverside in the rain, but it sure was worth it.

It seems like you are experiencing some serious problems w/ your retrofitted lights for your G. Good luck with the repair. Hope all goes well and they take care of you asap!

Riverside Infiniti FTW!

Old 12-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
i have a feeling your lighting stopped working because your ballast finally went out. thats what happened to mine and i just bought a new one for 80 bucks. you should have checked before hand instead of taking it to the dealer.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
I know it sounds simple, but anything non-standard at a dealer is going to cost $.
To me it's not unreasonable for them to work T&M on something that someone else has customized and requires troubleshooting.

e.g.
What if there was a short in the custom fog wiring and it took out a module?
They have no way to determine that sort of thing up front.

All I'm asking is for you to be fair.
All they did was quote some work, it's your choice to accept or not.
It's not like they tried to stuff you with a huge bill after the work was done.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '06 headlight Problems in an '03....