G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

frequent expenses?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2010 | 11:18 PM
|
frequent expenses?

other than mods and things to add to the joy of the car do you find yourself spending money more frequently on upkeeping of your g than other cars? only asking because im in search of a coupe and been reading some post about brakes and other things wearing quickly.

Old 01-03-2010 | 11:55 PM
Search is your best friend BUTT, I'll chime in with a couple of things.
Most new memmbers buy five, six year old cars with high mileage. Those cars are very affordable but they have often been abused and that's the main reason they're cheap. Brakes are worn, trannys are blown, tires are worn down, etc. Bottom line you get what you pay for. Some new members around here wait it out, look around, and land better, low mileage cars. To answer your question, aside from $$$ blown on mods, not additional funds are needed to maintain. Their M.S.R.P. new is not low so, therefore they are not cheap to fix. If you're on a budget, probably not the best choice of car to buy. Hope this helps.

Old 01-04-2010 | 01:12 AM
well, i've definitely bought more car cleaning/detailing things because i like for my ride to look clean. i'm pretty proud of this baby.

Old 01-04-2010 | 03:36 AM
Xet
^cleaning stuff is def the most expensive. oh and mods... very expensive.

as far as brakes, tires, oil, etc I have either not had to replace them or it's been fairly cheap

Old 01-04-2010 | 04:05 AM
i spend a ton on cleaning stuff/detailing. i think people with G's are really just obsessive compulsive about theere cars tho, thats why some complain a lot about minor things. something goes on our truck like a light in the dashboard...we leave it, its off warranty and nobody really cares, we all know what the button does. you will go through more rear tires however, and expect to pay a bunch for gas, this thing is not to great, especially if u mostly do short trips. if you usually drive atleast 10-15 miles each way wherever you are going then your good i guess. i'm averagin 17 mpg.

Old 01-04-2010 | 04:09 AM
Without a doubt cleaning and detailing...

Old 01-04-2010 | 10:59 AM
G35 6MT
I agree completely about the cleaning products. I think most Coupe owners are excessively **** about the condition of their cars -- I know I am.

Tires tend to wear fast, but IMO, that expense is counterbalanced by the fact that the rest of the car needs very little maintenance. My last car needed constant TLC -- engine, suspension, yadda-yadda. So to only have to worry about the tires on my Coupe, it's no big deal to me!

Mods, of course, are expensive -- but that, to me, doesn't fall under the 'maintenance' category. It's your choice to mod your ride, you don't HAVE to in order to keep it running.

Old 01-04-2010 | 11:12 AM
6MT Coupe
Far as normal maintenance on my well taken care of and not abused G (original owner), only $$ spent were normal scheduled services. A couple things under warranty, but no $$ out of my pocket on those. Most of my $$ been spent on mods. Agree, cleaning products can add up over time...

Old 01-04-2010 | 11:53 AM
My yearly expenses....=)

Yearly expense, oil changes $270 (I use the good stuff) wax cost $175 for 8 oz. again (the best stuff) Gas averages around $200 month but that includes my G35 and wife's Vette both require premium fuel. Purchased my G35 new so I know she hasn't been abused but pampered instead....
Gary

Old 01-04-2010 | 12:23 PM
Want to play? you have to pay buddy...........

Old 01-04-2010 | 01:23 PM
I purchased a 2006 certified pre-owned G35 coupe almost a year ago. I have had four problems with the car.

1. The plastic seatbelt holder bracket on the drivers seat broke off. It was like that when I purchased it, but I didn't notice it till the next day. Took the car back and they replaced it on the spot. I was in and out in about 10 minutes.

2. The passenger side window went down, but did not come back up. The motor had to be replaced. Took about two hours.

3. The passenger side seat reclined, but would not come back up. They said the switch was faulty, but he entire seat assembly had to be replaced. They said it cost $3000.00 to replace!!! Needed to be special ordered. Took about a week to get in to the dealership. Took all day to install. They gave me a free loaner car for the day.

4. Two CDs got stuck in the CD changer. I don't know what they did, but they got the CDs out. They advised me not to use CDs that I burn at home. Took them about 10 minutes.

The car is still under warranty, so I didn't have to pay anything for the repairs. Other than that the car runs beautifully...knock on wood.

Oh yeah...I had to replace the battery...but, that was my fault. I was playing around with my Cipher and left the ignition on and killed the battery. One of the cells in the battery was dead and it would not fully charge, so I replaced it.

Hey, if you ever have to replace your battery...and you will someday...take your CDs out of the changer before removing the battery. My "stuck CD" problem occurred when I replaced my battery. I had five CDs in the changer before replacing the battery. After replacing the battery the Head Unit only showed that I had three CDs installed. The Head Unit thought the 2 and 3 slots were empty, but in fact CDs were in there. This is probably just my own unique experience, but I thought I'd share anyway.

Anyway your look at it, a G35 is cheaper to maintain than a comparable BMW, Mercedes, or Audi.

Good luck with your purchase.

Old 01-04-2010 | 04:54 PM
I would say it depends on the car you buy, and how you drive it there after. In my experience, I like to drive my car hard, there for I do oil-changes more often, which also means I use more gas, wear out tires quicker etc. I would gauge all these responses with respect to how you drive. Also, know that modifications, if not done properly, can result in expensive repairs with OEM parts.

It also helps to be mechanically inclined when buying the car. Check underneath, make sure bushings are not ripped, bolts are fastened securely, etc.

My car was sold to me with a fake Safety, it needed a ball joint, stabilizer link and ACC belt. I found this all out when I was lowering my car 2 months after the fact, at that point I was utterly powerless.

Be thorough with the car you buy.

Old 01-04-2010 | 07:57 PM
Thats why I just go to a car wash.

Old 01-04-2010 | 11:30 PM
new tires does take a hit on the wallet, especially with the larger sizes. i use to pay 500 for a set of 4 tires on my accord. now that will only get me two tires. like jaysizzle said, pay to play.

Old 01-05-2010 | 01:00 AM
$1000 for tires are coming up

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: frequent expenses?