G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Painted Grill & Emblems, Smoked Tails...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have the same thing going on on my g with the tints and smoked tailights and soon as it gets nice out im painting the grill and rear emblem. How did you do the emblem without taking it off or getting paint on the trunk lid?

Old 03-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 6MT
Looks good! Mine's very similar -- in wintertime, at least, since I have a different grill I put on for the rest of the year.

My entire OEM grill is blacked out, though, and I used a gunmetal paint for the Mt Fuji on my trunk.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:58 AM
Originally Posted by [Rush]
Looks good! Mine's very similar -- in wintertime, at least, since I have a different grill I put on for the rest of the year.

My entire OEM grill is blacked out, though, and I used a gunmetal paint for the Mt Fuji on my trunk.
Nice... I like it. Gives me a good idea of what it would look like if I were to paint my rims..

Originally Posted by Mike Mike17
i have the same thing going on on my g with the tints and smoked tailights and soon as it gets nice out im painting the grill and rear emblem. How did you do the emblem without taking it off or getting paint on the trunk lid?

I didn't. At first I tried the dental floss method that worked with the infiniti and g35, but the tape was too thick behind the mt fuji. I just used a lot of goo gone, heated it up, then pried it off gently with a thin piece of plastic.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:42 AM
I'm re-doing the tail lights right now. I wanted to go a bit lighter, and I taped off the reverse lights so they don't get painted. I think it will look better. Looks great right now, all I have left to do is the clear coat. It's about half as dark as it was before.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by GiantsFan280
I'm re-doing the tail lights right now. I wanted to go a bit lighter, and I taped off the reverse lights so they don't get painted. I think it will look better. Looks great right now, all I have left to do is the clear coat. It's about half as dark as it was before.
i taped mine off (and the button)

Lights off:

Parking lights on:

sorry for the crappy cell phone pics

Old 03-02-2010, 12:57 PM
it was pretty easy to tape off the reverse lights... theres a small convex groove on the edge of the clear in which you can use a razor blade to follow when cutting off excess tape

how do you take off the 3rd brake light on the wing? i've heard it's held on the wing by like 3M foam tape on the back of it...?

Old 03-02-2010, 01:33 PM
so you took off the mt fuji and painted it and put it back on

Old 03-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Bri127mx
i taped mine off (and the button)

Parking lights on:

sorry for the crappy cell phone pics
LMFAO nice sock covering your license plate dude... thats ****ing hilarious. If thats your driveway your house is awesome. I've always wanted a house buried off in the woods somewhere. People **** me off

Originally Posted by Mike Mike17
so you took off the mt fuji and painted it and put it back on
Yes. All I did was use a butter knife with a cloth wrapped around it, and heated it up, poured some goo gone around / behind the logo, and pried it off. Came off really easily.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:06 PM
yea i did all m badges but the mt fuji i was just wondering if you took it off to paint it or not. Did you use glue or 3m tape to put it back on?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by GiantsFan280
LMFAO nice sock covering your license plate dude... thats ****ing hilarious. If thats your driveway your house is awesome. I've always wanted a house buried off in the woods somewhere. People **** me off
haha thats the end of one side of my driveway... have my motocross trailer in front of my car... and its really not in the woods... i'm 6th row back from the ocean lol... and yes, people **** me off too... one of the things that feed my driving style

Old 03-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Love the look - did I miss how dark the window tint was? Also, how did you make sure the two tail lights matched when you sprayed? Is it just practice and technique, or is there an easy trick?

Old 03-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
^ you can look at them side by side and see which one is lighter and which is darker and spray a little more accordingly

Old 03-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Just place them as close to each other as possible when painting and then spray over both of them in even coats. Just act as if it were one big thing you are painting. Even coats over both lights at the same time.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by stbeeman
Love the look - did I miss how dark the window tint was? Also, how did you make sure the two tail lights matched when you sprayed? Is it just practice and technique, or is there an easy trick?
my windows are 35%.. they came on the car when i bought it... whoever did them, did the best tint job i've ever seen... ever. they all look factory... but they look darker due to the low light. anyways, as for matching, i did mine pretty late in the day but i tried to look at them from the same angle with the same amount of light and sprayed the lighter light to match the darker one... never really had a problem matching them, just do the same spray patterns (long horizontal coats with the nozzle in the vertical position)

if this helps anyone, i picked up the spray at my local advanced auto parts store. it's called (something) Niteshades.

once you get the hang of it, you can spray all of your friend's tail lights and earn some extra cash