G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Gas Door Issues... Again!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas Door Issues... Again!!!

Ok, so I have finally come to the conclusion that after almost two years of ownership (since Nov 2002), the G goes down from there.... it keeps having these irritating and rediculous issues that shouldn't even exist. From my now famous "window woes" to this now re-occuring gas door issue, I have about lost all of my patience. Is anybody else feeling this too? I still love my ride, but this is insane.

Regardless of that, basically today I went to get gas and my dang gas door won't open.... I tried unlocking the doors from both inside the car and the keyfob and it was still a no-go. Push-in, push-in, push-in....still won't open. This happened once before and Infiniti service dept. said "they adjusted it". Whatever....it happens at lease every other week...come on! Its a stupid gas door!! The service man even looked shocked when I suggested that Infiniti engineers should think about a different (inside-manual lever) type design. Does my suggestion not make clear sense?!? Anyway, I finally got the dang thing open by applying stronger force on the ouside and got it to pop out. However, this wasn't the case a year ago....it is supposed to pop out easily after unlocking the doors. I just can't believe that something as silly as opening a gas door can be such a headache. Is anybody else in the same boat I'm in or is just my G? I plan to still keep the car but I am tierd of being embarrassed in public by this type of hardship. I mean, even the guys at the other gas pumps were laughing while I messed with the gas-door! Is there anything I can say to my Infiniti dealership to take this more seriously or is my car just cursed? I welcome everybody's opinions and thoughts, especially those around the two year ownership mark. Thanks for everybody's time!

Old 09-15-2004, 08:14 AM
Re: Gas Door Issues... Again!!!

MrElussive,

That is exactly how it works and did work up until recently....thats why I cited "two years" and the G goes downhill.

I can push in on the gas door all day long, with the doors unlocked, and the stupid thing refuses to open. My final fix has been to push with extreme force and it eventually opens...but not on the first try. I have tried to tell Infiniti service department this, but they blow me off saying they "adjusted it".....whatever! I need advice on how I can finally get this corrected. I mean, heck I would trade in on a 05, but that won't make the problem go away as someone else would have to deal with this issue as well. I basically don't know what I should do...

Old 09-15-2004, 09:11 AM

I had the same problem about a month ago. Took it Infiniti and the 'Service Manager' actually changed the locking mechanism himself in 10 minutes. He said that he has had numerous of these that have failed.

Old 09-15-2004, 11:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't want to know the HUNDREDS of individual items that failed on the first year production of the 1st 90 Q45.

The sunvisors fell off in your lap, the glove box hinges broke, the gas door, the ashtray, door locks and windows, seats, displays, speedometers, lights, plastic pieces, etc..............after 30 trips to dealer [pretty much once per week for the 1st year] they eventually fixed everything. Most replaced items are still working 10-13 years latter.

G35 owners should count on using the Great warranty.
These basic [but attractive] cost cutting entry level sport-o- lux cars always are marginally built/designed [cost cutted to extremes].

After everything gets replaced once you should be problem free.

Old 09-15-2004, 01:28 PM

Q45tech,

Based on your infomation about the Q45, are you basically saying this is normal? I knew having one of the first ones off the boat might not be a good thing after all, but man I still can't believe this b/c the car has been fairly good up to this point (minus those nasty window issues and brake squeaks). I guess I am just dissappointed...especially with my dealership as they have not offered to replace the gas-door mechanism.

I called again today to tell them my difficulties and they said they couldn't replace parts if the car didn't exhibit the problem with the technician...... with that rhetoric how can I win? I guess I'll have to get used to these crazy things until I trade up one day. I hate to even think about trading, cause I am sure I will lose on such a deal...and the car is perfect otherwise.

Old 09-15-2004, 06:03 PM

I've had that happen once.... I agree I have had a handful of issues with the car too, but everyone here seems to have them.

The CD ERR, the window motors going, the clicking of the rear axle, the gas tank (not wanting to fill and the door), and I'm sure I'm missing one or two other things with the car. I expected more serious problems though with the car, since not only is this a new generation, but a new model completly and a type of car that nissan/infiniti hasn't had in over 5 years. Prior to the z/g nissan/infiniti's sports car was the maxima.

I'm actually very pleased, before I bought mine I came on here and found all the problems that I would have. Sure enough, one by one they've all happened and not one more. You of course didn't have that luxury since you bought it right when it came out. Regardless, I also think that everyone is in the general consesus that although we have a handful of somewhat basic issues that just can't seem to be resolved... they just aren't enough pain to give up the car.

However, at 60K, I'm getting a new one!

Nate

Old 09-17-2004, 01:44 AM
G35driver.com Moderator

man i feel your pain, mine got stuck once but i just locked/unlocked and tried again and it worked.

do whatever works until your dealer fixes it... just be careful not to damage the car's body in the process

good luck!

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c-6MT-DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust/350Z-intake/AVIC-N1-double-din

Old 09-17-2004, 07:50 AM

Same thing happened to me about 4 months ago. I was so pissed off because I was down to fumes. I looked like a complete idiot at the gas station pushing on that damned gas door for 10 minutes. Finally, I just pried it open. Dealer replaced the locking mechanism. Thank goodness the latch is plastic and not metal!! I'm going to disconnect the locking mechanism from inside, so that I never have to worry about it again. Do we really need locks on our gas doors? Chances of someone tampering with your gas or stealing gas are practically nil. I've never had locks on previous cars.