G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Your opinion counts here!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your opinion counts here!

Wow, hello all... I am new here and I have read a lot of your posts... I am going to get a G35c ASAP--I have to wait on a list here in the Pacific NW... ;(

My question would be more of a persuasion from you all... lol I want the DG, premium, aero... but should I hold out for the 6MT or take the first 5AT that comes my way that meets the above criteria? I test drove a 5AT and was very impressed... I have driven manual trans in all my other vehicles and still am as of this day... I just thought the idea of not shifting in the stop and go traffic of this city would make life a bit more easy on commutes, etc... but the little sports car boy inside screams shift little one shift... lol

So what was your decision to go with the MAN or AT?

Thanks for any time offered here.... You guys are driving me nuts with your sweet wheels...

TC

Old 04-13-2003, 02:13 PM
Re: Your opinion counts here!

6mt... sure an auto would be easier but you loose a lot of fun along with that.

I would never get an auto on a car like this, just my opinion.

Dan O
Eaton Corporation

Old 04-13-2003, 02:46 PM

If you're in traffic alot, a 6-speed might be a real pain. With the auto, you can relax in traffic but when the opportunity arises, swing it into the manual gate and kick some BMW butt !! Suggest you test drive the auto using the manual mode for the whole test drive to see if it gives you enough shifting feel. ...dean

Seattle area

Old 04-13-2003, 03:00 PM

Yeah I live in Portland/Vancouver area and traffic is not like Seattle and Dallas... but the AT seems good enough for me and I don't think I will be racing it too much in the city.. Grrrrr I hate decisions like this..lol A nice winding rip through the Columbia River Gorge will test the handling ability for sure... Dean I emailed kirkland to see what the wait was up there as well... not heard back from them yet...

Thanks all!

Old 04-13-2003, 03:31 PM

Just ask yourself this question:

Do you want to DRIVE or STEER?

G35 6MT/DG/Fully Loaded

Old 04-13-2003, 03:31 PM

This is my fifth car with all before being manual as well. Before getting this one, I had thought about going AT this time around since AT does have its advantages.

When I went to go for a test drive, they only had a 5AT available. Although it has plenty of zip, I missed the control of shifting gears. I then tried the manumatic mode and wasn't satisfied with its hesitation between shifts...go test drive one and you'll see what I mean. When I shift to a gear, I expect to be in that gear instantly, not have a pause (which felt like it took about a second). So I made up my mind to get the 6MT. When I took delivery and took it out for a spin, it was a totally different experience than the first time. It went when I expected it to go. You really can't beat that feeling [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img].

G35c 6MT/BS/G/Prem/Aero/Nav

Old 04-13-2003, 03:42 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got the Coupe A/T and it's more fun than anything I've ever driven. Lots of fun lots of power and if you don't feel like shifting you just sit back and let the computer do it. hahaha. It's especially nice in heavy stop and go traffic where you get a little tired of shifting and clutching. JMHO. It all depends on what you want. good luck [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=green>GSM</font color=green>

Old 04-13-2003, 08:20 PM

It depends on how your will use your car. If you plan to autocross, etc. Then the manual would be the choice, especially because you get the Brembos.

But, the auto is my choice for daily driving with occasional zip through the mountains. Once you spend some time with the manual mode, you will learn its a LOT of fun and the shifts are quick... quicker than a lot drivers with a clutch. Plus, you'll never miss a shift! The manual mode is much better in the coupe and gives you plenty of control. Make sure you get the sport package with the LSD if you get the Auto... it makes life good. Just wish there was a winter mode or way to lock in a gear for starts and stops in slippery conditions.

40583-g35rimsweb2.jpg

Old 04-13-2003, 09:57 PM

Bigel... wow your car looks great... I love the wheels.. you trade the premium package for those? I also am torn between the areo package as well... this car is soooo sweet and it looks classy without the spoiler...

Yes I will use it for autocross.. and zipping around in the city and mountains on nice days... I live in the Portland, oregon area and there is plenty of nice drives here... basiclly this will be my Special driving car not the everyday wheels for work and such.....

Old 04-13-2003, 10:55 PM

hey bigel awsome rims dude! Who makes them?

SPIRITRACING@AOL.COM
<font color=red>@@.:':.:':.EAT MY DUST.:':.:':.@@</font color=red>

Old 04-13-2003, 11:32 PM

Thanks guys. Those are Fitti Force 18s. My OEM 18s were damaged in a minor offroad escursion this winter. I am still deciding whether to get them refinished. I will if a set of winter tires in the OEM sizes becomes available. If not, then I might have to spring for a set of 17s this fall for my winters.

If this is your toy car, then I think a 6MT would be my choice.

Old 04-15-2003, 04:20 PM

Get a 6MT. I was getting a detail the other day and all the guys remarked that the only coupes they see that are auto are driven by old men and it was refreshing to finally see a manual! You're automatically assumed to be a pu$$y for driving an auto on a car such as this....

G35 Coupe/6MT/Black/Graphite/Aero

Old 04-15-2003, 04:26 PM

wow, when a woman says that you know its true!

Dan O
Eaton Corporation

Old 04-15-2003, 04:32 PM

Wow she is right... lol He he... yes good madam I do try and conceal my ahhumm middle age seasoning...lol I love the feel of the stick and it would be a grave change for sure... but if I were to get the 5AT I would sumize to say that I have grown refined and out grown the need for instant gratification...and ....wtf... stop the BS.... I can't live this lie... I need the 6MT....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Your opinion counts here!