G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

g coupe vs awd in snow?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 02:07 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
grocery: as for staying in hawaii, I might for a bit but really, I hate it here quite a bit. I dont like the hot weather and i'd much rather deal with the people in IA/MN.

as for the car deal, im sure all cars will be prone to rust from road salt no matter what you drive. I would like to drive my coupe year round if possible and save myself from having to spend money on another car/insurance/parking space. I would buy a seperate set of stocks and put some snow tires on for winter for my coupe. just want to make sure its possible.

Having an AWD car would be ideal, but if the coupe will do fine id rather not go through the trouble of getting rid of my car etc. and having 2 cars is out of the question.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently purchased my coupe this past august and haven't driven it in the snow yet, but I do plan on driving it this winter for the same reason of not wanting to buy a beater/second car.

I think it really depends on a few things.

First of all, you really need to know how to drive in winter conditions. It really does take some practice and you really have to be extra cautious and give yourself extra braking distance and know when to lay off the accelerator. These cars have 280+ hp and are RWD so it does take some practice.

With that being said, there is really no reason why you cannot drive this car in the winter.

I do highly reccommend a dedicated set of snow tires though. They are the single most important thing one can do to improve traction and control in snowy conditions. I live in upstate ny and we get a lot of snow here so I am used to driving in snowy conditions so I feel confident that I will have no problems driving my RWD coupe with snow tires this winter.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by deen416
I recently purchased my coupe this past august and haven't driven it in the snow yet, but I do plan on driving it this winter for the same reason of not wanting to buy a beater/second car.

I think it really depends on a few things.

First of all, you really need to know how to drive in winter conditions. It really does take some practice and you really have to be extra cautious and give yourself extra braking distance and know when to lay off the accelerator. These cars have 280+ hp and are RWD so it does take some practice.

With that being said, there is really no reason why you cannot drive this car in the winter.

I do highly reccommend a dedicated set of snow tires though. They are the single most important thing one can do to improve traction and control in snowy conditions. I live in upstate ny and we get a lot of snow here so I am used to driving in snowy conditions so I feel confident that I will have no problems driving my RWD coupe with snow tires this winter.
sounds like we have a similar car situation. So do you think its worth it of going through the trouble to get an AWD? Im not sure its worth it or not. im under the impression that with dedicated winter tires on both cars, the awd will accelerate and maybe turn better but stopping will be the same. so is the handling difference really worth it?

Old 11-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Snow tires on the G, and pick up a cheap beater truck with 4wd for when the snow is really deep. After having a truck as a secondary vehicle for a couple years I would never go back. Comes in handy all the time.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Your moving FROM Hawaii TO Minnisota?? Whats her name, lol!

Old 11-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Oceanbound
Your moving FROM Hawaii TO Minnisota?? Whats her name, lol!
haha yea pretty much hit the nail on the head. well my gf is now going to school in iowa but my mom is living in minnesota so i plan to go to MN first to make the transition smoother financial wise for few months.

Plus i actually like it better there than hawaii. I like the weather better and also the people so that helped me make the decision to move.

going to go check out an 02 wrx 5 speed with 71k miles on friday. may work out a trade deal with the owner.

anyone got opinions on an 02 wrx with that mileage such as any problems, reliability etc? car is all stock. I already got my plans for it if i pick it up.