G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

OMG.. Did I buy a used G with FRAME DAMAGE? Please LOOK (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 04:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
if thats true, then my opinion of nissan just went down. The welds on my 04 civic weren't as bad as the ones in the picture.

It looks like someone just took a tig welder and went to town on it.
It doesnt matter what it looks like as long as there is good penetration .Whats the point of having a pretty beads there anyway .Its not really gonna be seen It obviously was welded by hand from the factory due to all the ones iv seen are a little different . Also the red is factory undercoating . Even if it was repaired which its not nobody would ever use bondo under the car . It would serve no purpose .Also nissan is not the only car company that has suspension members that looks like that . Iv seen welds like that on a lot of different cars .

Old 12-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Here's an old pic of my car. Never been in a an accident as far as I know, bought it with 7400 miles.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
if thats true, then my opinion of nissan just went down. The welds on my 04 civic weren't as bad as the ones in the picture.

The Altima welds look a bit better.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally don't care what the welds look like. I have never seen one fail, even with over 1000 hp going through the diff which is bolted to it as well.
Some things are better if they are over-engineered from the factory.

BTW, we just traded in our 07 Civic because with only 43,000 miles, things started breaking. Maybe if they welded the sun visors and instrument cluster together like Nissan does their support members, we would buy another Honda.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually the welds there only really require stitch welds every few inches to be solid . Most likely they just did a full bead to seal it from the elements . Point is the ugly welds your seeing is more of just a filler .

here are a couple pics i found to confirm even more

Old 12-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It makes no sense why anybody would weld the rear crossmember back together. I haven't looked at my car but I think that's normal. If that part was damaged it would simply be replaced.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Maybe it was a guy in training on the assembly line ....

Old 12-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
quit worrying about the welds. that is normal. they are thick and strong. any bodyshop wouldnt weld a subframe, they'd simply just replace it......atleast thats what mine does. lol

Old 12-03-2010, 05:51 PM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by atoor1990
Maybe it was a guy in training on the assembly line ....
Robot in training.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
^^ exactly

Old 12-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by the04coupe
It doesnt matter what it looks like as long as there is good penetration .Whats the point of having a pretty beads there anyway .Its not really gonna be seen It obviously was welded by hand from the factory due to all the ones iv seen are a little different . Also the red is factory undercoating . Even if it was repaired which its not nobody would ever use bondo under the car . It would serve no purpose .Also nissan is not the only car company that has suspension members that looks like that . Iv seen welds like that on a lot of different cars .

Old 12-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it is perfectly normal i spoke with Infiniti today when they lifted up the car and they said because the subframe piece is aluminum that they couldn't use robots to weld them together and they used a different process since aluminum heats up pretty quick and can easily flex. So they used a process that looks crappy if you look under the car but who cars it serves its purpose and there are no structural integrity problems so you should be good.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by davidblak3
it is perfectly normal i spoke with Infiniti today when they lifted up the car and they said because the subframe piece is aluminum that they couldn't use robots to weld them together and they used a different process since aluminum heats up pretty quick and can easily flex. So they used a process that looks crappy if you look under the car but who cars it serves its purpose and there are no structural integrity problems so you should be good.
BMW uses aluminum subframes and it doesnt look like that. So that explanation is crap. But i just checked today. It is normal. This car was suppose to be a 3 series fighter when it came out, so i'm a little disappointed at the craftsmanship.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My friend who is a highly skilled BMW and other German cars mechanic told me how the Japanese usually have highly unfinished pieces (if those pieces are not visible to the consumer). He says the Germans do not do this. He noted and showed me that the subframe he put into my G35 had lots of razor sharp edges. He said the Germans wouldn't put the mechanic at risk like that...one slip of the wrench and your hand is shredded.

And the welds on my new subframe were UGLY.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:36 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Cali*Coast
My friend who is a highly skilled BMW and other German cars mechanic told me how the Japanese usually have highly unfinished pieces (if those pieces are not visible to the consumer). He says the Germans do not do this. He noted and showed me that the subframe he put into my G35 had lots of razor sharp edges. He said the Germans wouldn't put the mechanic at risk like that...one slip of the wrench and your hand is shredded.

And the welds on my new subframe were UGLY.
I agree, with your statement as it relates to BMW, porsche and Mercedes, not sure about vw...though.

Last edited by TemjinX2; 12-04-2010 at 02:51 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OMG.. Did I buy a used G with FRAME DAMAGE? Please LOOK (pics inside)