G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

OMG.. Did I buy a used G with FRAME DAMAGE? Please LOOK (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 02:43 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by the04coupe
It doesnt matter what it looks like as long as there is good penetration .Whats the point of having a pretty beads there anyway .Its not really gonna be seen It obviously was welded by hand from the factory due to all the ones iv seen are a little different . Also the red is factory undercoating . Even if it was repaired which its not nobody would ever use bondo under the car . It would serve no purpose .Also nissan is not the only car company that has suspension members that looks like that . Iv seen welds like that on a lot of different cars .
Same reason you wouldn't buy a new tv with excess solder on the motherboards and computer chips. You would think the tv is cheaply made and will break, because you've seen other tv's with clean cut solder points or chips intergrated in the motherboard, even though the tv with excess solder actually works and will last 20yrs.

You have a certain level of expectation when something comes from the third largest japanese motor company in japan versus you welding something in your back yard.

The welds aren't dangerous, but not up to a quality level you would expect for a car that is suppose to compete against a BMW 3 series.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:49 AM
Originally Posted by GrocryGettr
I personally don't care what the welds look like. I have never seen one fail, even with over 1000 hp going through the diff which is bolted to it as well.
Some things are better if they are over-engineered from the factory.

BTW, we just traded in our 07 Civic because with only 43,000 miles, things started breaking. Maybe if they welded the sun visors and instrument cluster together like Nissan does their support members, we would buy another Honda.
Or maybe it was just abuse from the driver? No car manufacturer can compensate for user error.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:00 AM
Received 140 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by the_coupe
quit worrying about the welds. that is normal. they are thick and strong. any bodyshop wouldnt weld a subframe, they'd simply just replace it......atleast thats what mine does. lol
Yup..I got T-boned and the subframe got a little tweaked..my friends body shop replaced it..

Old 12-04-2010, 04:38 AM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
Same reason you wouldn't buy a new tv with excess solder on the motherboards and computer chips. You would think the tv is cheaply made and will break, because you've seen other tv's with clean cut solder points or chips intergrated in the motherboard, even though the tv with excess solder actually works and will last 20yrs.

You have a certain level of expectation when something comes from the third largest japanese motor company in japan versus you welding something in your back yard.

The welds aren't dangerous, but not up to a quality level you would expect for a car that is suppose to compete against a BMW 3 series.
Why is it so important that the welds in a place where 99% of drivers would never even see are beautiful or not? It is extremely improbable that these ugly welds are any worse than if the welds were done extremely nicely. And I'm willing to bet that if there was a problem with them, after all these years the knowledge would surface.

And to the OP, your stability problems are most likely just due to your alignment. Take it in and you should be fine.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TemjinX2

actually the board with excess solder would outlast the one with precision soldered spots due to the excess solder pulling more heat away from the components. Thats exactly how it works with the suspension member . The areas that need good welds are there and excess weld is just added reinforcement and sealing the seams so if anything those sloppy welds are just adding to rigidity not subtracting .Penetration is penetration no matter how its achieved There is absolutely no reason why Infiniti should take and hour longer to make the part just to make it look pretty for the .00001% of people who will even care when there is NO added benifit .

Have you ever seen or heard of a infiniti suspension member cracking at the welds . My guess is no so then there is no problem with quality

Old 12-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Cali*Coast
My friend who is a highly skilled BMW and other German cars mechanic told me how the Japanese usually have highly unfinished pieces (if those pieces are not visible to the consumer). He says the Germans do not do this. He noted and showed me that the subframe he put into my G35 had lots of razor sharp edges. He said the Germans wouldn't put the mechanic at risk like that...one slip of the wrench and your hand is shredded.

And the welds on my new subframe were UGLY.
Of course a Highly skilled BMW, German car mechanic would have a totally unbiased opinion.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:25 PM
You guys are missing the my point, but just leave it as my personal opinion.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by TwilightBlue
Buying a car that has previously been in an accident is a risk you take when purchasing a used car. If it doesn't have a salvaged title I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Amen on that Salvage title...

Old 12-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Let be honest. If the same crappy welds was found on a Lexus IS350 or a Honda instead of OUR car, everyone here would be having a blast attacker Lexus. Doesn't matter if it's under the car and no one can see it, shoddy welds are shoddy welds.

Would anyone here buy an exhaust with the same welds? NO. Why not? I mean, you can't see it right? I've seen many people here attacking off brand exhaust because of the "welds"... But when it comes to the welds on the G. It's perfectly ok?

The welds are soo crappy, I bet an insurance adjuster would look at it and say the car has been in a bad accident and it's salvaged. I mean, just look at the first few posts, people thought it was...

I've seen better workmanship on a 1996 Acura. LOL. It's the little things that count sometimes. Don't get me started on the headliner. The edge where it meets the windsheild.. That part is sagging like a mother F'er. Whereas, on other cars, it is sealed and a rubber mold is covering the gap holding the headliner in place. On the G, there are no seal. Just an ugly looking edge..

Old 12-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy

Yeah, that's DEF a damaged frame and a really shoddy job of welding - SO SORRY Bro!!

Old 12-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IF the previous owner only had liability insurance and never report the solo accident (i.e drove off the road or ran over some stuffs or kissed center divider), the chance that the car will always stay in clean title.

however i think that ****ty welding might be normal.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I just read on MSNBC.COM that local authorities have taken into custody what they have described as an undercarriage pervert. It appears over the last couple days people have been reporting that a perp has been seen with a flashlight crawling under several vechicles. When apprehended he claimed that he was only examining frame welds. He gave the name of jibberjabbers but authorities think that this may be an alias. When interviewed a local officer stated that this was just plain unbelievable. In his expert opinion who the hell cares. More information will be forthcoming

Old 12-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
^

OP, I'd like to add, since no one has said this yet, those welds look normal to me.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I just check out my Garage where I have pic of my undercarriage, the only weld visible is in the right hand corner and it looks clean and minimal unlike what we've seen here on this thread. I don't believe those massive welds are factory/normal. Gary

Old 12-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Ok Here is my 2 cents....
The welds on the subframe are perfect...
The bondo crap on your frame isnt. I Didnt see any clamp marks so you should be ok, but that doesnt mean it wasnt involved in an accident...

Oh and only 5% of all accidents actually do get reported... Its your job to have the vehicle get a second opinion for the other 95% chance you are taking purchasing a used vehicle

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OMG.. Did I buy a used G with FRAME DAMAGE? Please LOOK (pics inside)