G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Supercharger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by anynigma
^ I meant specifically for G35, our manufacturer recommends premium, and if we're running performance parts...meaning we want additional performance, we should run premium all the time. By doing so, we are complying with the manufacturer's recommendations and making sure we get the most out of our silly bolt-ons.

And specifically for FI, I've heard 93 is a MUST.
Correct!

Old 05-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always used premium 93, but I wasn't using the top tier level until I got my FI, and now notice a big different.

BTW: I LOVE YOU GUYS!!....This community rocks? That's right the old guy said "Rocks"....Live with it..

Old 05-11-2011, 02:12 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
^ Man sorry to hear about all the issues you're having with your car. Should have just gotten a motorcycle and some track time as your mid life crisis solution :-) Hope it all works out. And post some pics!!!

Old 05-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by thatoneguy
^ Man sorry to hear about all the issues you're having with your car. Should have just gotten a motorcycle and some track time as your mid life crisis solution :-) Hope it all works out. And post some pics!!!
lol funny you should say that, bike was the first choice, and damn near killed myself - as you get older, your equilibrium goes first - mind keeps telling me I can do things, and body wants to have a meeting on why we can't. The G works out well for me...

Old 05-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Lol, Nice!!!

Old 06-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Hey fellas, things are starting to come together, got my wheels on, and body kit is in the mail. Aug appt to change out clutch and flywheel and install a borla cat back which I brought off a guy from the garage where I get my work done (Hillsgarage in MD) - went with the stage 2 clutch kit, and JWT flywheel, and then hopefully I'm done for this year.

Feel like I'm not getting the boost I use too. For instance, if I run into the 6k rpm, which usually when the boost kicks in, now it seems like a stall in power. It’s the same feel when you go into the redline area, and the engine will automatic loose power to protect itself (I’m guessing that’s why) until you gear up. My man said it sounds like the SC belt needs tighten, and that tighten of the belt is normal maintenance for a SC. Would you agree? Is this something I should check regularly, or just when I feel a loss of power? Is there a rule of thumb for how often it should be checked? How often do you check yours? Thanks for your time.

Once BK is installed, and I clean her up, I'm going post a few pics..

Old 06-14-2011, 06:39 PM
i was going to recommend looking at the belt as well... it needs to be tightened, but shouldn't be that often... often you will get a squeal at startup when it needs to be looked at. You could go with a more heavy duty belt than the one provided with the kit, i believe Gates makes a good one and others like the Goodyear.

I have had mine on over a year now and only had to adjust it once.

The following users liked this post:
Fadil13 (06-14-2011)
Old 06-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Thanks Kricci11 - you're always helpful...appreciate you.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:51 PM
no problem - interested in pics when you get it all finished - good luck!

Old 06-18-2011, 02:50 AM
Originally Posted by kricci11
i was going to recommend looking at the belt as well... it needs to be tightened, but shouldn't be that often... often you will get a squeal at startup when it needs to be looked at. You could go with a more heavy duty belt than the one provided with the kit, i believe Gates makes a good one and others like the Goodyear.

I have had mine on over a year now and only had to adjust it once.
Which one did you go with? Did you replace your belt yourself? Is it hard to do? my guy can't see me until Aug, and I want it done before then. Is tightening the belt a specialty skill, or any good mechanic can do it?

Old 06-18-2011, 08:30 AM
I believe i am running the gates belt, don't remember as it may be a bando - not sure of the size off hand...

I did not tighten the belt myself, however it is not a very difficult thing to do from what i understand - can likely do yourself

Old 06-22-2011, 01:53 AM
Boost, or Boost where have you gone..

Originally Posted by kricci11
I believe i am running the gates belt, don't remember as it may be a bando - not sure of the size off hand...

I did not tighten the belt myself, however it is not a very difficult thing to do from what i understand - can likely do yourself
Hey Kric - just replaced my SC belt with a heavy duty Goodyear one. I still seem to be missing my boost. I had more boost when my SC was installed incorrectly...

Can you give me a brief explanation when your boost kicks in...before my boost would hit in 3rd gear around 5-6rpm - I could actually feel it. I can't describe it in words, but it was clearly boosting...would hear a swoosh type sound - and then feel the power surge... My car still quick, but I'm missing my swoosh sound and can't pin point the boost. When do yours kick in? Maybe my mapping is off...will check again this weekend. Still got a Aug 2nd appt with my man, just fishing for some advice before then, and I consider you the man. Of course any advice is appreciated.

BTW: Attached a few pics of my new belt, figure I throw in my new LED lights that I just love. I know you younguns aren't a fan of these, but I guess this is where old school parts ways a little..

Attached Thumbnails Supercharger-lightoff.jpg   Supercharger-scbelt.jpg   Supercharger-plate.jpg  
Old 06-22-2011, 03:32 AM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
^ Could be your belt slipping at higher RPM's, check for black dust around the belt. Also, since it's a new belt, might need to tighten it after it has "expanded".

These are just theoretical suggestions, as I haven't installed my own kit yet, lol. But from all my research, those seem to be the typical reasons for boost loss.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:08 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by Fadil13
I always used premium 93, but I wasn't using the top tier level until I got my FI, and now notice a big different.

BTW: I LOVE YOU GUYS!!....This community rocks? That's right the old guy said "Rocks"....Live with it..
I say "rocks" and "hella" a lot and I'm 48. Congrats on your build!!

Originally Posted by Fadil13
Thanks Kricci11 - you're always helpful...appreciate you.

kricci's a stand up guy.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Thanks Tim!

I agree with silencer, check for those items first, but I have a feeling that isn't the problem...

It could be that you are just getting used to the added power! I know how my car felt when I first got her back, and now she feels slow, but that's because you have grown accustomed to it... Just a thought

Do you have or can you hear any boost leaks possibly?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Supercharger