G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Supercharger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 05:16 AM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
I wouldn't push it too hard until you figure out what's wrong. Congrats btw.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Just stay light on the throttle. If you are running lean you dont want to push it until you get find the cause and fix it.
You should be fine with normal non-spirited driving.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Silencer_0
I wouldn't push it too hard until you figure out what's wrong. Congrats btw.
Thanks - Appreciate it -

What do you think about the scan not reading aftermarket ecu accurately? Is this something anybody else has experienced after installing a SC? (SES light?)

Old 02-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Originally Posted by Project
All i meant by helper mods would be little things such as upgraded bushings, clutch or valve body upgrade. Like someone else said the ztube is a N/A mod and not useful to you if your FI. Luckily you can resell them for almost what you paid for it.

The things i would look at foremost are braking, drivetrain, and life of engine. You were saying yours has been replaced with another engine, but you have come to realize that buying a used engine has the same issues. Its not the end all, but you have to monitor you oil regulary to make sure its not consuming and you run dry.

The brakes if you have brembos should be fine. If not you can get a set of akembos for around the same price as stock brembos. It doesnt help to go fast if you cant stop. Then the clutch if your manual or valvebody if your auto. I would recommend atleast one rated to 400 trq.

Trust me bud the reason we all have said this is because we have been there before. I have a 400 hp plus motor sitting in my stang. Being young and building i didnt realize all the upgrades to handle that kind of power. It ended up that i replaced almost everything in the bay with upgraded counterparts. Theres no point to put in more power if the other parts cant keep up.

You can message a guy on here named Gzilla. Hes a 400 hp vortech setup. I know he did a bunch of upgrades. Or just find someone with a vortech and ask them what issues they ran into with install and mating to stock parts.

Hope that helps.

matt
Gzilla may not be the best person to ask right now. Pretty sure he blew his motor 2 weeks ago.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:26 PM
SES light still coming on after Vortech SC install.

Originally Posted by Fadil13
Thanks - Appreciate it -

What do you think about the scan not reading aftermarket ecu accurately? Is this something anybody else has experienced after installing a SC? (SES light?)
My installer said that he has called Vortech, and they suggested some different wiring config, but the SES light still comes on. The last change he made, I drove about 80 miles, and about 10 mins after telling my wife I believe we got it, light came on..

I will get all the details on how the SC was installed, and hopefully somebody here can help out. My installer say everything check out, and that it wasn't running lean, but for some reason the SES light will not go out.

We installed it conservatively only pushing about 6 psi since it is my daily drive, and I'm not ready to push it until it's tweaked right. He also replaced the spark plugs, and changed the AC belt that was going bad. I do not have all the details at the time of this writing, but please let me know what info you need to help resolve the issue. We didn't do a tune, which I'm thinking might be a good idea.

I haven't been pushing it too much, boosting only a few times, but it appears not to be boosting as much as it was when first done. I'm going check into that a a little further later. I told my guy that the experience on this forum is 2nd to none from some posters. I've been hanging around here a long time silently taking it all in, even though not capable of understanding most of what's being done, and said, but I have learnt the serious players on the forum . Thanks in advance fellows for any help.

BTW: If I don't respond right away, it's because I'm relaying the info to the installer for the answer to any questions. Thanks again.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:05 AM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Received 430 Likes on 278 Posts
Itasha Coupe
What size injectors did end up using? What EMS? What fuel pump? Any dynos?

I'm curious to see what your installer picked out for you.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
Get it tune

Old 03-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by lsmooth81
Get it tune
Thanks intend too...appreciate ya..

Old 03-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
I would not go into boost untill you get a reliable tune first.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by superchargedg
+1.

What size pulley are you running?

Old 03-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by superchargedg
Closest guy in the Maryland area, I could schedule a tune is about 50 miles away, and he can't fit me in until 4/21, which he said the tune might not fix the SES issue - That might be an 02 sensor which he will have to check for $75hr. Tune will cost $1100, and any issues after that, cold starts etc..is included in that price - possible total bill with SES issue could be $1500 - too much Huh?

If only I had your skillz...

BTW: I'm not living with my parents, not a trust fund baby, so please spare me the wasting money flames - I was given plenty of warnings about the other expenses I'm going to accumulate, and have accepted them. I'm a grown **** man that can spend my money any way I want... Everybody on this forum knows this is a ridiculous hobby, either you one of us, or you're not... Anyway that's what I tell my wife and daughter, when I tell her I blew her tuition for school next year....

Here's a few more details: Small pulley, factory injectors, V3 kit, unichip piggyback and fmu

Old 03-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Closest guy in the Maryland area, I could schedule a tune is about 50 miles away, and he can't fit me in until 4/21, which he said the tune might not fix the SES issue - That might be an 02 sensor which he will have to check for $75hr. Tune will cost $1100, and any issues after that, cold starts etc..is included in that price - possible total bill with SES issue could be $1500 - too much Huh?

If only I had your skillz...

BTW: I'm not living with my parents, not a trust fund baby, so please spare me the wasting money flames - I was given plenty of warnings about the other expenses I'm going to accumulate, and have accepted them. I'm a grown **** man that can spend my money any way I want... Everybody on this forum knows this is a ridiculous hobby, either you one of us, or you're not... Anyway that's what I tell my wife and daughter, when I tell her I blew her tuition for school next year....

Here's a few more details: Small pulley, factory injectors, V3 kit, unichip piggyback and fmu

The tune dictates the reliability of the car - so if you believe that $1100 is too much to have a reliable car, that is your decision, no one else can make that decision for you.

I think that is a little high from what i have seen here in TX, however the market in Maryland is different than here in Houston - i'd have to find my receipts to recall what i paid, but it wasn't that much i don't think. What are they tuning with?

You shouldn't have cold start issues. People that experience starting issues are typically on a warm start after the car has been driven. I had warm start issues with my Utec and opted to swap out for the Haltech EMS - a pricey change, but in my opinion well worth it for me and my preferences.

You need to better define "small pulley" there are 3 standard sizes on the vortech kit 2.87, 3.12 and 3.33 - if you are running the 2.87, you are in for some trouble on a stock block/untuned. My guess is that you are running the largest pulley 3.33 especially if it is only making about 6psi of boost

Please, atleast run Osiris or Utec at a minimum instead of unichip. I do not have experience with that at all and if someone does and would liek to chime in and correct me, please do, however my personal opinion on what i have read and heard is that i think you are asking for trouble with that set-up on a boosted engine...

Old 03-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by kricci11
The tune dictates the reliability of the car - so if you believe that $1100 is too much to have a reliable car, that is your decision, no one else can make that decision for you.

I think that is a little high from what i have seen here in TX, however the market in Maryland is different than here in Houston - i'd have to find my receipts to recall what i paid, but it wasn't that much i don't think. What are they tuning with?

You shouldn't have cold start issues. People that experience starting issues are typically on a warm start after the car has been driven. I had warm start issues with my Utec and opted to swap out for the Haltech EMS - a pricey change, but in my opinion well worth it for me and my preferences.

You need to better define "small pulley" there are 3 standard sizes on the vortech kit 2.87, 3.12 and 3.33 - if you are running the 2.87, you are in for some trouble on a stock block/untuned. My guess is that you are running the largest pulley 3.33 especially if it is only making about 6psi of boost

Please, atleast run Osiris or Utec at a minimum instead of unichip. I do not have experience with that at all and if someone does and would liek to chime in and correct me, please do, however my personal opinion on what i have read and heard is that i think you are asking for trouble with that set-up on a boosted engine...

I wasn't saying there was a problem with 1100 tune, I was really just asking the question if that was too much. Only place I've found so far, I'm on the books for Apr, still looking though because I want it done a lot sooner..

Definitely an Osiris tune - I seen your project thread - wish you were in the neighborhood, you guys are lucky out there in Tx and Cali - lot of options..

I appreciate your feedback much... I'm a noob for sure, so all your info is being copied and pasted for future reference -

I just want my car to look like yours...yours is so sick it's on life support..

Old 03-08-2011, 03:10 PM
I wasn't saying there was a problem with 1100 tune, I was really just asking the question if that was too much. Only place I've found so far, I'm on the books for Apr, still looking though because I want it done a lot sooner..

Definitely an Osiris tune - I seen your project thread - wish you were in the neighborhood, you guys are lucky out there in Tx and Cali - lot of options..

I appreciate your feedback much... I'm a noob for sure, so all your info is being copied and pasted for future reference -

I just want my car to look like yours...yours is so sick it's on life support..
ha ha thanks man...

I think 1100 isn't bad, but is a little high - see if you can get them to come down a little, but in the end if they can tune it well and reliably and have a good track record with our cars, it is worth the extra money. Cheapest is seldom the best...

we were all noobs at one point so no worries - i made some mistakes along the way and it ended up costing me more money than if i had done it correctly first, lesson learned, now i try to read and reread to ensure i understand...

Old 03-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I am so ignorant on anything this deep mechanically, I'm not sure I could go SC without it being factory.

Kudos to all of you doing this, it's a fairly big deal on a car never meant to for it.

Let us know your issue and the solution, more info is always good.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Supercharger