G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Plasti-dip rear bumper/valence

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 12:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OP nice work! I see the haters around here haven't changed. I'm doing this to my grill on my G37 tomorrow, and I can't believe the hate you get around here for doing this. People are quick to bash something they aren't first to do... Tsk tsk...

Old 02-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plati Dip is win...

Old 02-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
everything
Originally Posted by Mark2K8
None of that sanding, primer, clear coat bs.
Ya who wants to do it the correct way... way too much bs?

Originally Posted by breftayka
People are quick to bash something they aren't first to do... Tsk tsk...
Ill be the 1st to admit Im glad Im not the first to do this mod or even do it at all. It looks cheap

Originally Posted by Mark2K8
and looks identical to paint.

Like rubber coating looks even remotely close to something like this done the right way...

Old 02-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Smitty50
My god for saving money you'll get yelled at when it'll look exactly the same as the other guy
Does NOT look the same. I plasti-dipped my grill for kicks like everybody else, it was so-so, then I scrubbed it off (took forever), sanded it down and sprayed it along with clear and it is MUCH better. It's nowhere NEAR the same.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:06 PM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Received 430 Likes on 278 Posts
Itasha Coupe
Sorry, it doesn't look the same.

vs

Old 02-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by konxeptionz

vs

Two different angled shot? k

Old 02-06-2011, 06:11 PM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Itasha Coupe
Originally Posted by Smitty50
Two different angled shot? k
You can argue that all day. I'm not here to start a debate whether or not you should plastidip your stuff or whatever. I could care less if you plastidip your grill or you want to paint it gloss black.

The only thing I will say is that it DOESN'T look the same compared to a good paint job. Now whether you interpret that as a cheap or saving money is up to you, cuz again, it isn't my car. I won't state whether or not I prefer plastidip or paint, since that isn't what is in question.

Again, I am only stating that they are 2 completely different things and look nothing alike.

If you want to plastidip stuff on your car, then more power to you. It is your car and well within your right to do so. None of us are paying for your mods, insurance, or car payments. However, it still wont' look the same as a paint job will though.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:17 PM
You can argue that all day. I'm not here to start a debate whether or not you should plastidip your stuff or whatever. I could care less if you plastidip your grill or you want to paint it gloss black.

The only thing I will say is that it DOESN'T look the same compared to a good paint job. Now whether you interpret that as a cheap or saving money is up to you, cuz again, it isn't my car. I won't state whether or not I prefer plastidip or paint, since that isn't what is in question.

Again, I am only stating that they are 2 completely different things and look nothing alike.

If you want to plastidip stuff on your car, then more power to you. It is your car and well within your right to do so. None of us are paying for your mods, insurance, or car payments. However, it still wont' look the same as a paint job will though.
I agree with you. The 100 or more spent compared to the 11 spent on the can makes a difference, but a lot into plasti dip are doing it for convenience, and inexpensive to achieve the "just as good" look.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:28 PM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Itasha Coupe
And another comparison. I took this just now with my Sprint phone outside.

You be the judge if you think it is cheap or not. Again, I'm not here to try and debate that or not. Just pointing out the differences.

vs

Plasti-dip rear bumper/valence-2vzoh.jpg

Old 02-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

vs

lol @ 2 different things. Get a same color car with same angle (and the job completely done too, lol @ the plastidip still there) then we can compare.

Originally Posted by G2FLIP4
Ya who wants to do it the correct way... way too much bs?
Again, why does this "the way its done" matter. both produce similar results and look good, yet the way that someone approaches it matters...

Originally Posted by breftayka
Plati Dip is win...
Take a pic outside with it w/out flash. Can't really tell/see whats going on.

And another comparison. I took this just now with my Sprint phone outside.

You be the judge if you think it is cheap or not. Again, I'm not here to try and debate that or not. Just pointing out the differences.

vs

The only difference I see is yours is gloss (which I presume you used the gloss black paint or whatever its called), while mine has a matte/flat black look to it. Show me a grill that is painted "the right way" using matte and we'll compare.

anyway, im not gonna keep arguing over a ****ing product. Ridiculous. IMO it looks good, and all the people that have seen it agree too, and anybody else that will see it on the road will agree too in real life, you will not be able to tell what was used to paint it unless you come up close with a magnifier and poke it with a toothpick to see if it peels.

im outtie

Old 02-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I Plasti-dipped my emblems yesterday just to see what all the hubbub was about... a bit of orange peel, but it looks fine... I was pretty sloppy putting it on. I'll be pulling it off and trying again, just to see how smooth I can make it.

I don't know why plasti-dipping and painting are even being compared really. In every stupid plasti-dip thread some jack hole starts moaning about how it's doesn't compare to paint... no kidding... stop comparing it to paint!!! LOL

Plasti-dip is great to cover paint/chrome style trim to protect it from the elements, and it provides a fine matte finish. However, after using it, I do not believe that plasti-dip will ever give you a smooth enough finish to be able to paint over and get it to look high gloss like a good paint job... If you can prove me wrong, do it!

I'll probably screw around with it some more... since I still have most of the can left. I am doubtful I can get a paint like outcome, but will see.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:13 PM
Look you're all missing a huge point! WHY THE *** WOULD I PAINT SOMETHING IF I AINT GONNA DO THE WHOLE CAR?! Seriously the ppl who plasti-dip usually DON'T have custom or fresh paint. They have factory paint and their Gs are usually their DD. I plasti-dip because I drive on the freeway a lot and my car needs a fresh paint job. 2 months and my painted grill had small chips. I can't paint so I plasti-dip and 3-4 months later I peel and reapply. My car looks nice and ppl like the flat/matte black because my 03 nismo and my fat tires. PAINT if your trying to look clean cut and flawless. Plasti-dip if your just trying to turn a few heads here and there. Paint is for models plasti-dip is for everyday girls. TUFF

Old 04-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
^wow ur gay

Old 04-18-2011, 06:46 PM
ask your momma why my name is GOAT! Or better yet go to your dad and see why you look nothing alike! TUFF

Old 04-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
everything
This thread just keeps getting better with every post!