G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

finally got my G!/ i hate automatic car washes!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 10:59 AM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jtjohnny102
Just figure you'll only really need to compound it once in a long time as long as you wash n maintain the car properly after you get it done
That was my point in my first post. If you get it done professionally once, then you should be able to maintain it yourself after that. It's much easier to learn to detail on a car that does not have significant damage. You'll need a random orbital buffer, a polish, a glaze, a sealant, three pads for the the buffer (two black and a red) and a half dozen microfiber towels. You will also want a quick detailing spray compatible with the sealant. This is really the bare minimum. It is very satisfying to drive a car that looks like it just came of the showroom floor.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Life is a learning process, now you got the message. Now you know never to take your new ride to a car wash unless they're going to wash it by hand....especially with an OB coupe. Since you're the new owner and if you've ever done it I'd wash..clay..cleaner/wax your whole car using an orbital buffer if you have one. I remember how bad those scratches used to look when that was the only way car washes worked....nylon brushes.
Gary

Old 02-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
everything
Originally Posted by FederalG
I hand wash my car in 20 degree weather. My car is too low for the automatics, so I have no choice.
Same here. Mine sits in the garage all winter but I did wash my GFs new Accord coupe the other day in 30 degree weather, sun was out so it wasnt that cold wearing black.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Received 92 Likes on 76 Posts
have a local detailing shop do a Stage 1 paint correction...they will polish all the swirls out and add a sealant and wax to bring out the shine again...if the scratches are really bad, then do a Stage 2..good luck

one more thing u shud know about drive-thru carwashs...they can scratch up the lip of your wheels too...and sometimes the size of the wheel well isn't wide enough for the rear wheels we have...thats another lesson u don't want to learn the hard way either..Touchless all the way!

Old 02-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just figure you'll only really need to compound it once in a long time as long as you wash n maintain the car properly after you get it done
Yeah, I'll probably have to go get it done.

Originally Posted by BlkCoupe
That was my point in my first post. If you get it done professionally once, then you should be able to maintain it yourself after that. It's much easier to learn to detail on a car that does not have significant damage. You'll need a random orbital buffer, a polish, a glaze, a sealant, three pads for the the buffer (two black and a red) and a half dozen microfiber towels. You will also want a quick detailing spray compatible with the sealant. This is really the bare minimum. It is very satisfying to drive a car that looks like it just came of the showroom floor.
Yeah I'll have to buy one of those soon. Any suggestions on a good orbital buffer?

Originally Posted by gary c
Life is a learning process, now you got the message. Now you know never to take your new ride to a car wash unless they're going to wash it by hand....especially with an OB coupe. Since you're the new owner and if you've ever done it I'd wash..clay..cleaner/wax your whole car using an orbital buffer if you have one. I remember how bad those scratches used to look when that was the only way car washes worked....nylon brushes.
Gary
yeah looks like I learned the hard way.

Originally Posted by D&G35
have a local detailing shop do a Stage 1 paint correction...they will polish all the swirls out and add a sealant and wax to bring out the shine again...if the scratches are really bad, then do a Stage 2..good luck

one more thing u shud know about drive-thru carwashs...they can scratch up the lip of your wheels too...and sometimes the size of the wheel well isn't wide enough for the rear wheels we have...thats another lesson u don't want to learn the hard way either..Touchless all the way!
Yeah I'll probably take it to a detailing shop the first time then learn how to detail later.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Who in their right mind would take a g through an auto wash..

Old 02-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by lung
Yeah I'll have to buy one of those soon. Any suggestions on a good orbital buffer?
My personal favorite is the Porter Cable 7424 (now 7424XP). I've used mine for 8 years without a problem. There are also ones from Meguiar's, Griots Garage and Flex. Autogeek.net offers some great kits that come with the backing plate (needed to attach hook & loop pads) and multiple pads at good prices.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by TofuProductions
My dumbazz.

Originally Posted by BlkCoupe
My personal favorite is the Porter Cable 7424 (now 7424XP). I've used mine for 8 years without a problem. There are also ones from Meguiar's, Griots Garage and Flex. Autogeek.net offers some great kits that come with the backing plate (needed to attach hook & loop pads) and multiple pads at good prices.
Thanks for all the helpful info!

Old 02-21-2011, 09:19 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
From this thread and a buddy's recommendation, I got a 3-stage wax / paint recondition done today.

Slippery paint is fun, Duke's of Hazzard time!!!

He said it would last a year and a half, plus I had no clue what the previous owner did to maintain the paint.

I'm not letting this paint fade and die like my Cougar's

Old 02-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by TofuProductions
I take any car I pay less than $30k thru an auto wash. *shrug*

I'm sorry, but even hand washing grinds dust and dirt particles into your paint, there's no getting around it.

Sure, the plastic spinners at a gas station are evil, so avoid them at all costs. Anything else tho, MUST touch your car to get it clean. Touchless?! High pressure water that can get real dirt off will also blast the surface particles into your paint (even miniscule) so you're screwed either way.

It's physics.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by jstudrawa
From this thread and a buddy's recommendation, I got a 3-stage wax / paint recondition done today.

Slippery paint is fun, Duke's of Hazzard time!!!

He said it would last a year and a half, plus I had no clue what the previous owner did to maintain the paint.

I'm not letting this paint fade and die like my Cougar's
Haha of course. If you don't mind me asking, how much did that run you?

I take any car I pay less than $30k thru an auto wash. *shrug*

I'm sorry, but even hand washing grinds dust and dirt particles into your paint, there's no getting around it.

Sure, the plastic spinners at a gas station are evil, so avoid them at all costs. Anything else tho, MUST touch your car to get it clean. Touchless?! High pressure water that can get real dirt off will also blast the surface particles into your paint (even miniscule) so you're screwed either way.

It's physics.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:54 PM
I paid $99.95 for their Paint Recondition service (they looked at it and said I didn't need clay bar).

Then I had them condition the leather, dash and door panels while vacuuming the interior as well as windows for another $25.

I also tipped the 2 guys $20 each, because the I was in a good mood and the car looks fantastic.

So $165 plus tax. Should have been $125 but the admins I work with wore skirts and that just makes a damn good day

Old 02-21-2011, 10:52 PM
I paid $99.95 for their Paint Recondition service (they looked at it and said I didn't need clay bar).

Then I had them condition the leather, dash and door panels while vacuuming the interior as well as windows for another $25.

I also tipped the 2 guys $20 each, because the I was in a good mood and the car looks fantastic.

So $165 plus tax. Should have been $125 but the admins I work with wore skirts and that just makes a damn good day
haha it's always the skirts . But yes that's not too bad. Thanks for the input.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:34 PM
Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts
+1 for only hand washing

Old 02-22-2011, 01:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
congrats on your new car. Any pics? Yeah only use touchless car washes or hand wash

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: finally got my G!/ i hate automatic car washes!