G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

finally got my G!/ i hate automatic car washes!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
finally got my G!/ i hate automatic car washes!

After months of hard searching I finally got my G. It's on 05 OB fully loaded automatic and I look forward to being enlightened. Today, my dumb *** decided to take my car to the car wash.... the automatic one. Yeah... worst idea ever that thing scratched my baby up. Has this happened to anyone else? Whats the best way to get rid of those small scratches?

Thanks,

Leo

Old 02-20-2011, 08:18 PM
wet sand and buff,i only hand wash my car

Old 02-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe it washed away the dirt that revealed the scratches.

although the car washes arent great for the paint i dont think it will scratch up your car

Old 02-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the advice i'll try that.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Unless you've wetsanded a car before and know what your doing that's an awful idea. Car washes are notorious for scratching your paint. Infiniti paint scratches very easily. I recommend you take it to a professional detailer and have it detailed. Then start reading everything you can find online about detailing and learn to do it yourself. An initial investment in the products and equipment to do your own detailing will cost you about $500. Even using a dual action buffer which is generally accepted as the safest of polishers can with improper use (pads/compounds) do damage to your paint.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by BlkCoupe
Unless you've wetsanded a car before and know what your doing that's an awful idea. Car washes are notorious for scratching your paint. Infiniti paint scratches very easily. I recommend you take it to a professional detailer and have it detailed. Then start reading everything you can find online about detailing and learn to do it yourself. An initial investment in the products and equipment to do your own detailing will cost you about $500. Even using a dual action buffer which is generally accepted as the safest of polishers can with improper use (pads/compounds) do damage to your paint.
Yeah it would be smarter to do that. Thanks for the advice. Do you detail your own cars too?

Old 02-20-2011, 09:06 PM
I have been working at a detailing shop here recently and I notice this problem ALLLLL the time. If you're wanting to go thru an automatic car was then make sure it's touchless. I'm sure your entire car has swirls all over it by now...common since the brushes that hit your car are also caked with rocks and sediments off of other cars. Don't worry though, all that can be taken out. Either bring it to a detailing shop or buy yourself and orbital buffer and some compound. If you've never done it before then I highly recommend taking it to a professional or do a test run in a small spot on the car. We use Wizards Finish Cut compound at the shop I'm working at. Again we see this literally everyday, people wash their cars and then come straight to us to get the swirls out. Another common thing I see is that 9 times out of 10 if a person has a bent license plate, they more than likely ran thru an automatic car wash lol

Old 02-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Only use touchless car washes or hand wash..

Old 02-20-2011, 09:17 PM
oohh and btw if you ever bring ur car to the dealership to get work done on it, dont let them wash it either. If it's a brand new car on their lot then they'll hand wash it but if ur going thru service and getting something worked on, they'll run it thru an auto wash...happened to me a few days ago..

Old 02-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by jtjohnny102
I have been working at a detailing shop here recently and I notice this problem ALLLLL the time. If you're wanting to go thru an automatic car was then make sure it's touchless. I'm sure your entire car has swirls all over it by now...common since the brushes that hit your car are also caked with rocks and sediments off of other cars. Don't worry though, all that can be taken out. Either bring it to a detailing shop or buy yourself and orbital buffer and some compound. If you've never done it before then I highly recommend taking it to a professional or do a test run in a small spot on the car. We use Wizards Finish Cut compound at the shop I'm working at. Again we see this literally everyday, people wash their cars and then come straight to us to get the swirls out. Another common thing I see is that 9 times out of 10 if a person has a bent license plate, they more than likely ran thru an automatic car wash lol
Haha thanks for the advice. Do you know how much it typically runs to bring it to a shop?

Old 02-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hand wash all the way and Detail once or twice a year. I bought my car last May and Hand washed it once a week since purchase. Only recently have I had any sorts of noticible scratch marks or swirls really show up, and even then it's only under close inspection under certain light. I Plan on getting it "Mirror Finished" detailed in April or May once it warms up for good. I have an 05 OB G as well.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Frankieg35
Only use touchless car washes or hand wash..
Yeah I leaned my lesson. fml

Old 02-20-2011, 09:22 PM
compounding done on a car varies, i would say average is around 70 or 80 bucks

Old 02-20-2011, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by TripleHBK
Hand wash all the way and Detail once or twice a year. I bought my car last May and Hand washed it once a week since purchase. Only recently have I had any sorts of noticible scratch marks or swirls really show up, and even then it's only under close inspection under certain light. I Plan on getting it "Mirror Finished" detailed in April or May once it warms up for good. I have an 05 OB G as well.
Yeah I love mine. And I will be hand washing once a week too. Also do you know how much it is for a "mirror finished" detail? Sorry I am a noob when it comes to detailing cars.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Just go to your local detailing shop and ask, everyone has a different name and different services to get swirls out of your car. Just ask them how much it would be for compounding to get the swirls out of your car. after a compound have them add some kind of protectant or wax to seal it back up

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: finally got my G!/ i hate automatic car washes!