G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

5 AT owners, sometimes do u wish u had a 6mt?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2004 | 11:41 PM
|
Head 'n Shoulders
5 AT owners, sometimes do u wish u had a 6mt?

Even tho i luv my G and the 5AT, sometimes i do wish i had a 6mt. I think it would be much more exciting to drive. I drove my friends modded eclipse the other day which is stick and i just loved the feel of driving stick. I kinda regret i didn't get stick, but i really had no choice since my car was a gift. im really debating whether to save up like 2k and trade in my car towards an MT next yr. I think i can get a good trade in on my car since i got every option but nav and isnt an MT cheaper than an AT anyways? Hmmm...well just lookin for some feedback from AT owners. Preferrably AT owners who have driven an MT as well. Is it alot more fun to drive/ worth paying a diff to trade my AT for?

5AT Coupe, Black/ Black, Chrome 18s, Premium, Aero w/spoiler, Eibach springs, Clear corners, Overlays

Old 11-17-2004 | 11:54 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Re: 5 AT owners, sometimes do u wish u had a 6mt?

Everytime i drive a manual, see another manual car, and get in my car i WISH i had one, and i am prob getting one soon, i cant WAIT =)

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
0-60 5.4 - 1/4 Mile 14.16 *GTech* and on 19's!!

Old 11-18-2004 | 12:20 AM
|
Head 'n Shoulders

yea i feel u. especially when i see girls drivin stick like the rsx or s2000, it gets me thinkin. im only 18 too.....i need a 6mt

5AT Coupe, Black/ Black, Chrome 18s, Premium, Aero w/spoiler, Eibach springs, Clear corners, Overlays

Old 11-18-2004 | 01:22 AM
Former G35driver Vendor

would a trade-in really cost only 2k? if so it may be something worth considering

Old 11-18-2004 | 01:24 AM

Nah, if I remember right the 6MT is more expensive than the 5AT by a couple grand because you also get certain features that come with it. Not 100% sure on this though, sorry =/

Old 11-18-2004 | 01:48 AM
Sedan

Nope, I luv my 5AT.

Old 11-18-2004 | 02:03 AM

Ya, sometimes i wish i have a 6mt while i looked at other ppl talking about sticks and actually rided in a 6mt G.

But think about it, the only thing we have seen were the good things about the 6mt. You will never realize how defficult it is when u're in a big *** traffic especially Los angeles.

Ya, i would like to drive a 6mt for fun, but not for my daily driving car. Because traffics will kill you and our 5ATs have its luxury soft switching gear which the 6mt doesn't have. So enjoy what u got and spend that 2k on some other mods.

just my 0.0002 cent

Old 11-18-2004 | 02:09 AM

I drive down to USC everyday in Los angeles rush hour traffic in my 6mt. no complaints yet (almost a year now).. I think people just over exagerate how bad it is driving in traffic. its really not a hassle at all.

Old 11-18-2004 | 02:25 AM
|
Head 'n Shoulders

O well im goin to USC next fall as a sophomore, so i was thinkin about LA traffic too. But when i went to the dealership the sales people told me the MT were the same price as the AT, but the MT comes with wheel package for the same price as an AT without 18s. I dunno...but after all the crap she said and numbers and stuff, it made sense. The 6mt is cheaper. Im thinkin if i were to sell my G, i would get at least $31k. Im thinkin the 6mt 04 used with less than 10k should be around 33k. Plus i want the NAV, so maybe 34k? So 2k-3k difference. Im not gonna buy an 05 tho. MSRP is just ridiculous with all the extra fees and BS they give you. I got my car brand new for just over 39k with all the fees, so im thinkin used with less than 10k miles is the way to go.

Old 11-18-2004 | 02:57 AM
Z2G

i've driven manual cars my whole life before getting my 5at coupe. i miss driving stick so much, i'm actually switching back. i just ordered a 05 6mt coupe. of course, the 5at was nice at times (during traffic or when i go up to san francisco).

Old 11-18-2004 | 03:48 AM

Go Trojans--Fight on! Haha

I wish I had the 6MT cuz of the brembos (2003-04)

If you have some 19s that you want to sell... let me know

Old 11-18-2004 | 04:22 AM
Cactus Hugging Admin

When I'm taking twisties? Yep (.5% of the time)
When I'm stuck on the strip, on a busy highway, or on the stop-and-go streets of Vegas? Nope. (95.5%)

G

As a language deteriorates-becomes less eloquent, less metaphorical, less salient, less poignant- a curious deadening of the human spirit comes seeping in.

Old 11-18-2004 | 07:34 AM

I love a stick but the 5AT rocks in a sedan. THis is one of the best trannys out there - this thing handles the v-8 int he Q. The manumatic thing takes a while to get used to but then once you realize you have the same control in terms of gear selection and holding a gear, you enjoy it the same...and after you get used to not using the clutch 1000 times on your way to work you realize it's not so bad. When you get a coupe or Sport bike someday and you retire to Utah you will once again enjoy the stick - at least that's what I tell myself when I get jealous.

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Hotchkis Sways (M/M)
Polk EX-3500 Tweeters/Shock Sensor/H-Liner

Old 11-18-2004 | 08:36 AM

not an owner- i own a 6mt coupe. but i had an automatic 05 sedan for a number of days as a rental.

my take is that this is the last factor on which aspect of the car is more important to you- luxury or the sportyness. youre gonna get both in the g either way, but if you get the auto, luxury is coming first whereas if youre getting the 6mt the sportyness is coming first. that difference was pronounced in the difference between my coupe and the sedan. the 05 sedan was bigger, quieter, and more softer (in most ways) than my coupe.. whereas my 04 coupe was smaller, a little louder (maybe because im lower and closer to the wheels), and had a slightly rougher ride. At first i really missed my coupe, but then I realized it was a mindset thing; if i looked at the sedan the same way i looked at the coupe i was bound to be disapointed. Once i started looking at it as a luxury-sports cruiser i felt far more satisfied and could actually see myself owning one...i couldnt see myself enjoying it as much in the twisties and on spirited drives however... thats where i felt the 6mt was better off. Dont get me wrong, the power and handling were good, but it felt more satisfying in my coupe. Sure the 5AT does rev matching downshifts, but doing it myself feels better. I'm not saying the coupe cant pull the same duties either.. if I were living in the states I'd still own a coupe over the sedan because I think it fits me better... but I think the fact remains, the 5at sedan can be a more comfortable ride while the 6mt coupe can be a more enjoyable ride.

for 5at coupe owners.. im not sure know what to say. If I had that I wouldnt think about the 6mt because presumably I had a really (really) good reason for getting a sports coupe, but then not getting it in stick. Maybe if I had a 5at coupe I'd be trying to retrofit paddle shifts and asking to see if anyone manufacturs an ECU that has a shorter shift delay. I think if the 5at had that, it would be a good competitor to the 6mt.

Old 11-18-2004 | 08:43 AM

NO. why? i drove stick for almost 20 yrs and being in socal.i don't miss it a bit.
nothing wrong with AT.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 5 AT owners, sometimes do u wish u had a 6mt?