G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Navigation problem---Help plz!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Exclamation Navigation problem---Help plz!!

I know I am a new user and starting a thread already. Not something I wanted to do, but didn't find anything close to my problem when I searched for navigation/nav problems.

Here is my situation. Bought 06 G 6spd that was hit on a front passenger side. In the process of getting parts for the car I wanted to check how does Navi works....well, it didn't!!!

Screen comes out when you press the Navi button on the top, but its dead (nothing comes up). Ive checked if there was anything in the DVD unit. Pressed EJECT...nothing came out, so I assumed that I needed the CD to run Navi, so I've bought a new 10-11 DVD for the Navi. When I tried to put it in in the DVD unit, it didn't want to take it. It felt like there was a CD inside already. When I press EJECT on DVD unit, it doesn't make any sounds at ALL
I can't find a fuse for Navi, to check if its blown.

Any idea what might be the problem?

Any help is appreciated

Old 06-13-2011, 11:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The DVD reader might of gotten stuck because of the accident.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:08 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I'm really glad I didn't put out the $$ for the OE navigation, I can get lost all by myself without anyones help....
Gary

Old 06-14-2011, 04:19 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
yeah, sounds like a DVD error, u should get it replaced or maybe just see if its a wiring issue, like if some power wires for the DVD unit came loose?

Old 06-14-2011, 09:02 AM
I will give it a shot with wires. But do we have a fuse for the Navi system?

Old 06-14-2011, 09:35 AM
i wanna say its in the engine bay, i cant quite remember tho :/ i really dont see why they wouldnt though, if Nissan would fuse the radio why not fuse the navi, its much more expensive! well... on that note, maybe thats why it may not be lol

Old 06-14-2011, 10:31 AM
I've checked the one under the battery, and didn't see any fuses that are blown, nor have I seen one for a navi there as well. The one inside the car, by the pedals, nothing for navi there as well...
Oh and the damage on a car is not expensive enough to affect the navi, I don't think. It didn't even get the frame.
I am just hoping for something simple that I am missing.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
The screen comes up, but nothing displays at all?
See if you can get the self diag to show:

Start engine
Hold MAP and Day/Night [*/)] buttons for 5 seconds or more
Press PREVIOUS button

Fuses to check for display & control unit are #37 (near battery) and #6, 12 (in kick panel)

ALL NAVI related fuses are:
Fuse block (J/B layout) -Kick panel - #6, 12, 14,19 (all 10A)
Fusible Link box (next to battery) - # 37 (15A)
IPDM - #83 (10A) -have to remove battery to access this box

Last edited by LoSt180; 06-15-2011 at 11:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (06-14-2011)
Old 06-14-2011, 02:19 PM
can't wait to get my hands in there and check all those.

keeping my fingers crossed that one of them if blown and thats what causes the problem.

about the screen- when it comes up it is just like a screen on a TV-off. Doesn't look like power is even on. But I will def give it a shot to self diagnose.

Thank you!

Old 06-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Premier Member

Some interesting reading before you get home would be here. Fuse/wiring info is on pg 44, display & navi troubleshooting start around pg 66 I think.

How hard was it hit on the side? I've seen wires get pinched before, usually door speaker or something doesn't work though. The battery is on that side however, so I'd also carefully inspect wire harness and connectors in that area (remove battery cover and the battery to really see everything).

Old 06-14-2011, 02:46 PM
The hit wasn't bad at ll, just need to replace fender and a bumper. stereo works fine as well as my power windows.
The easiest access to the Navi wiring is from the glove box, right?

Old 06-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Ok Ive checked fuses and all are fine...only one under the battery...#83 is to be checked.
When the Navi is working properly and there is power that goes to it, is there a light of some sort next to where you put DVD in, or there is no sign of power going to the unit at all?

Old 06-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Premier Member

Just went and checked mine; the DVD spins up and makes some noise when you turn the key on. If you turn the headlights on, the eject button lights up.

If no DVD is inserted the screen just says insert dvd.

This may seem silly, but have you tried pressing the "*/)" (sun/moon)button a few times? It's cycles between the day/night and night is pretty much black.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:58 AM
Does your stereo work? DD or Stock? I have a DD and i know tht whenever i forget to plug the uppermost harness back into my Navi my HU wont even power on, idk if thats the same w/ the stock HU(most likely is) but perhaps a power wire is loose back there?(assuming the DVD unit is tapping its power from the big *** navi harness). wires may appear to be connected to the harness but they may be disconncted. when i was hooking up my Navi voice to my amp, i had accidently pulled loose my 12v constant from my HU's harness. and because it appeared to be still connected, i assumed i fried the sucker! if it wasnt for my buddy swinging the harness in circles by that yellow wire i never woulda figured it out n just thrown that HU away. Soooo maybe check your main Navi harness thts connected to your screen, and any other wires going to your DVD unit.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Thank you for your input guys. Must appreciated.
Progress but no success: So up to today, have checked ALL fuses.(inside, outside, and behind the battery)
Tried to self diag. the Navi by pressing map and destination simultaneously and holding it for a few seconds while engine is ON and running. (I could of swear the screen flickered for a moment but nothing came up).

LoST180...I don't see anything on a DVD unit, eject button is night lighting up at all when the headlights switched ON. Screen just stays blank. Have tired to press every button imaginable on that Navi unit. Night/Day...nothing.

Steezy777...how hard is it to get to the main power connector for the Navi? I am guessing that is my only option left.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Navigation problem---Help plz!!