G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Is there really that big of a difference between MT & AT!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 12:34 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Is there really that big of a difference between MT & AT!?

Everybody keeps saying I should have gotten an MT because its better for sports cars.

I personally could not see myself using both legs, and both arms while driving, specially for a long time.

I also can't deal with the rattling/car shaking between shifting gears.

I heard MT's are faster... but what's really the big deal here?

Old 07-10-2011, 12:37 AM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Not this topic again....plz search and let me tell you my reasoning......

Old 07-10-2011, 12:38 AM
I tried search.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:47 AM
Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
it's really a preference.. which one do you see your self driving is the one to get.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:55 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I feel more in control with the vehicle with mt...and I don't know what rattling between shifing you're talking about lol

The following users liked this post:
boostedforlife (07-11-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 01:22 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by faiz23
Not this topic again....plz search and let me tell you my reasoning......
^+1

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...mt-vs-5at.html

In stock form, the MT's are faster then the Autos. 05+ 6MT have a slightly better engine as far as performance. Final Drive is sometimes different and some models are equipped with a VLSD. (www.infinitihelp.com) Detailed information can be found through researching on here.

The following 2 users liked this post by herrschaft:
boostedforlife (07-11-2011), S 854 (07-10-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 01:23 AM
I'm willing to bet that you haven't driven manuals for very long. Most people have your attitude when they lack experience. I'm not giving you a hard time as I'm sure many of us have thought that way once upon a time. My time was back in high school when I used the excuse " I want to have my hand free to tune my stereo" lmao! When the truth was that I wasn't at all comfortable driving stick. Back then, I too wasn't very good shifting smoothly. After a week driving a loaner crx, I never went back to autos...except in the wifes cars.

It all boils down to what kind of driving you do and how much you "use" your cars abilities. If you are stuck in traffic for hours a day, then stay away from MT. If you drive a lot on the highway with the occasional weekend "spirited" drives, then nothing compares to the manual.

Yes, the 6mt is faster...in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing. This is the case with nearly all cars though. I'd say, get some more seat time in a manual and then make your decision.

The following users liked this post:
in2win (07-10-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 02:11 AM
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
I have an auto, it does the job. But a manual is definitely more fun when you want to cruise around (just enjoying the drive).

As far as which is faster.. with equally skilled drivers the manual will do a bit better, but are you going to the track? or are you just getting groceries? I can tell you that a 1/4 mile time means little to me when i get groceries

And some newer cars, the Porsche Boxster for example, has been proven faster in the automatic ("PDK" -dual clutch) version. It makes for an interesting conversation though when people say ALL manuals are faster. In that case.. if you wanted the fastest version of that car, you would have to get the auto.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:42 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Auto here. I have a bike to ride if I want to shift and launch like a bada$$.
AND, my dealership told me that they could put paddle shift on for me for $250 Parts and $225 labor. I've been considering it, but I baby the G most of the time, it's only in Manual +/- about 5% of the time. That might change if I had paddles though

Old 07-10-2011, 03:02 AM
Originally Posted by Tabris
I have an auto, it does the job. But a manual is definitely more fun when you want to cruise around (just enjoying the drive).

As far as which is faster.. with equally skilled drivers the manual will do a bit better, but are you going to the track? or are you just getting groceries? I can tell you that a 1/4 mile time means little to me when i get groceries

And some newer cars, the Porsche Boxster for example, has been proven faster in the automatic ("PDK" -dual clutch) version. It makes for an interesting conversation though when people say ALL manuals are faster. In that case.. if you wanted the fastest version of that car, you would have to get the auto.
The boxster was one of the reasons I said "most cars" lol. As well as the EvoX, Gallardo, Mclaren, F430...etc. Of course, if you wanted a car that was fun to drive, the boxster should not be on the list anyway lol.

Originally Posted by CharlesHubular
Auto here. I have a bike to ride if I want to shift and launch like a bada$$.
AND, my dealership told me that they could put paddle shift on for me for $250 Parts and $225 labor. I've been considering it, but I baby the G most of the time, it's only in Manual +/- about 5% of the time. That might change if I had paddles though
Even with those paddles, shifts will still be slower than banging through gears in a manual...unless your granny shifting like in the movies haha.

Last edited by synnergy; 07-10-2011 at 03:06 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:14 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by synnergy
Even with those paddles, shifts will still be slower than banging through gears in a manual...unless your granny shifting like in the movies haha.
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be this way for a G but I watched a special on BMW's M class a few years back and they were going to strictly paddleshift because it was however many milliseconds faster than the fastest human shift. And it would be a perfect shift too.

Last edited by CharlesHubular; 07-10-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:22 AM
Those BMW transmissions have been r+d'd from decades of F1, GT, GA cup...etc. So it's quite faster than the rest of the paddle shifters on most cars...plus the M still has a clutch pedal for now.It's the same way in the Ferrari's and I believe Lambo's E gear setup requires a manual clutch to initiate motion from a stop (Ive never had the opportunity to drive a Gallardo). Nissan is getting better with there development as the new GTR already has this technology and is super quick shifting in performance mode. Now all we need is for that tech. to trickle down into our midrange cars lol. *fingers crossed*

Old 07-10-2011, 03:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ive driven manuals all my life and my g was the first AT car ive bought. As far as which one is faster MT or AT is all up to how the driver drives. Autos have the advantage over manuals because they are the easiest to launch because MT have a tendancy of spinning out. Ive beat MT 350z and G35 MT in a 1/4 mile but thats because they were spinning too much rather than gripping. In the long run im sure the MT will win but a real race is a 1/4 mile race so long run dont matter LOL

Old 07-10-2011, 03:31 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
MT is only faster if the driver knows what they are doing (and honestly most don't).

MT can be more fun but if you are worried about being faster just get yourself an AT with a shift kit and you'll best most of the 6MT's (unless of course they are modded and you are not).

Jason

Old 07-10-2011, 03:58 AM
Of course all of this is relative though. Saying an auto can be just as fast as MT only applies in short, straight line races. On the highway, above 60, a 6mt will pull on an AT all day long. Also, the AT in sport mode still sucks on a road course as the trans only allows downshifts when not turning hard. I've seen some autos do great on autocross courses though. They just leave their cars in low gear and left foot brake, kind of a neat trick lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is there really that big of a difference between MT & AT!?