Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 05:23 PM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
The following users liked this post:
LowUFO (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 06:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GREAT!!! Thank you rsingerG35. This is Great information for me on my motor hunt.

Thanks again,

Ian

Old 06-16-2014, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
You can also check the vin.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gdirtyfive55
Regardless of how simply you break it down, someone is gonna ask again. Someone in this very thread, I'll bet.
OK so how do you know its a rev up??? Lol seriously though, what made the rev up pull almost 300hp when its still the same motor? I was under the understanding its all in the tune, but rev up motors have the oil consumption problem so I doubt a tune causes piston rings to suck.. I'm looking more at trivial facts and parts that make it different. I'm getting a sense the intakes were different, but I'm not sure. I have the 05 coupe so I know its a rev up, but idk what makes it make more HP.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:50 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Exodus5656
OK so how do you know its a rev up??? Lol seriously though, what made the rev up pull almost 300hp when its still the same motor? I was under the understanding its all in the tune, but rev up motors have the oil consumption problem so I doubt a tune causes piston rings to suck.. I'm looking more at trivial facts and parts that make it different. I'm getting a sense the intakes were different, but I'm not sure. I have the 05 coupe so I know its a rev up, but idk what makes it make more HP.
It seems the cams are different, along with variable valve timing on the revups. The lower plenums are different as well, although it seems a non-revup plenum makes more power on a revup motor than a revup plenum does, hence the Mrev plenums. Probably a different factory tune too.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:10 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by scottvt
It seems the cams are different, along with variable valve timing on the revups. The lower plenums are different as well, although it seems a non-revup plenum makes more power on a revup motor than a revup plenum does, hence the Mrev plenums. Probably a different factory tune too.
What makes it a revup as noted above is cams (mostly) followed by the slightly higher redline where the improved breathing lets it spike some extra hp at the VERY top end.

Unless your racing, all you will notice is being down 5-ftlbs on TQ. Get it above 6500rpm and it magical for about another 400 rpm then NOSE dives in power.

Just remember, unless you have a HR block with the Variable exhaust, your power rating according to Nissan is pretty much a lie thanks to using pre-november 2006 SAE certs.

Last edited by maxxcool; 10-27-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by maxxcool
What makes it a revup as noted above is cams (mostly) followed by the slightly higher redline where the improved breathing lets it spike some extra hp at the VERY top end.

Unless your racing, all you will notice is being down 5-ftlbs on TQ. Get it above 6500rpm and it magical for about another 400 rpm then NOSE dives in power.

Just remember, unless you have a HR block with the Variable exhaust, your power rating according to Nissan is pretty much a lie thanks to using pre-november 2006 SAE certs.
It is funny you mention that. Do you happen to know what the new HP rating would be according to the newest most up to date SAE certs? Honestly I have not noticed alot of power after maybe 4500rpm. I notice that 2nd and 3rd I come up into the power curve around 25-2800 and it seems to die off around 4k. I have that initial pull onto the power curve and then after that it seems like it is almost non-existant and the car seems to just stop at 6500. Although that launching feeling seems to die off after 4k the rpm's don't slow down til about 6500, when the motor starts to sound like it is going to die. 4th is finicky at best with power delivery and my last two gears don't have near as much pull as the others. Does that sound typical of a rev-up? LOL

Now with the HR do you know how much real work I would have to do? I know with the VQ37 I would have alot of issues, but would I be able to transplant a HR block into the car and do whatever else needed to be done?

Old 10-27-2014, 09:43 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
It didn't actually have more hp except in 2007 when it got an 8hp bump. As was mentioned before tho, Nissan was taking advantage of the new SAE rating system for HP that changed for the 2005 year. Performance was never affected throughout all production years of the coupe. They all have the same 0-60 and 1/4 mile ratings.

Besides that, HP is just a marketing technique. What you really want to be looking at is TQ, which actually went down with the rev-up. The rev-up had 260 and the regular DE had 270ft/lbs.

To prove my point, the g37 had 338hp in its 6spd coupe and 270ft/lbs torque. Judging strictly by HP, it should have been a LOT faster than the g35 6spd coupe, which it was not. Car & Driver rated the G35 6spd coupes 0-60 as 5.5 seconds, and the G37 6spd coupe as 5.4. Virtually identical even tho it has a nice HP bump from the previous model.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:32 PM
Exclamation

Replying to your post about the G37, the next gen was also a little heavier from what I understand. I was reading that because the safety requirements had changed the G37 had to get heavier along with the later model 350 and the 370z. If you have more weight then the additional few HP gained from any improvments would not show. You can clearly see that the G37 is bigger which would commonly result in a heavier vehicle.

I would like to see a thread, if one exist, on swapping the HR into the G35 coupe. I know the motor mounts slightly higher under the hood. I cannot remember if the HR will mount to the DE tranny. I want to say it won't. However!!!! I think my baby is going to die soon. Either that or it is starting to play sick, because what people have described from simple mods like an intake, spacer, mrev2, etc.. Things that would not really improve the power a drastic amount without a good tune and an exhaust is pointing to my G not being the quoted "298hp" that the rev up should have. I am not sure why I have a loss in performance and MPG, but it is starting to worry me since I can't afford a huge fix at the moment. That was why I asked about HP based on the new standards and described my engine characteristics. I am thinking something might be wrong.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:54 PM
I feel like I've seen a thread where someone asked about swapping between the regular DE, the rev-up and/or the HR. From what I understand its just not worth it. You need a new computer and wiring harness and everything.

If yer gonna swap to something other than your stock motor, it might as well be an LSx.

I don't it's playing sick tho. I have all those same mods (less MREV-2 cuz I'm not a rev-up) without a tune and it runs fine.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:16 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Replying to your post about the G37, the next gen was also a little heavier from what I understand. I was reading that because the safety requirements had changed the G37 had to get heavier along with the later model 350 and the 370z. If you have more weight then the additional few HP gained from any improvments would not show. You can clearly see that the G37 is bigger which would commonly result in a heavier vehicle.

I would like to see a thread, if one exist, on swapping the HR into the G35 coupe. I know the motor mounts slightly higher under the hood. I cannot remember if the HR will mount to the DE tranny. I want to say it won't. However!!!! I think my baby is going to die soon. Either that or it is starting to play sick, because what people have described from simple mods like an intake, spacer, mrev2, etc.. Things that would not really improve the power a drastic amount without a good tune and an exhaust is pointing to my G not being the quoted "298hp" that the rev up should have. I am not sure why I have a loss in performance and MPG, but it is starting to worry me since I can't afford a huge fix at the moment. That was why I asked about HP based on the new standards and described my engine characteristics. I am thinking something might be wrong.
call me crazy, but what your describing sounds like a cam-disabled tune... did you get this car from another racer... one who maybe took it ti a **** tuning shop who screwed up the phasing? between 3k and 5500 rpm in oem form should PULL like hell, then drop off after 6200 rpm.. then fall off a cliff after 6400.

Either that or someone ran to much seafoam or engine restore through it and $%^&ed the intake variable cam hydraulic thingys (turbines?) that work off this *TINY* little oil inlet in the heads that clogs up WAY too easy in oem format if you flush it or feed it a oil thickener for "compression boosting".

Last edited by maxxcool; 10-28-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by maxxcool
call me crazy, but what your describing sounds like a cam-disabled tune... did you get this car from another racer... one who maybe took it ti a **** tuning shop who screwed up the phasing? between 3k and 5500 rpm in oem form should PULL like hell, then drop off after 6200 rpm.. then fall off a cliff after 6400.

Either that or someone ran to much seafoam or engine restore through it and $%^&ed the intake variable cam hydraulic thingys (turbines?) that work off this *TINY* little oil inlet in the heads that clogs up WAY too easy in oem format if you flush it or feed it a oil thickener for "compression boosting".
Funny you mention an oil thickener. I was advised by the dealer to run 10w-40 to aid with my oil consumption so I did and still had the problem and I have been running Lucas full synthetic oil stabilizer that is still thick buy not near as thick as the petroleum based stabilizer. Neither have given problems and that is about 6-7000 miles with the additive. only twice with the thicker version and about three times with the thinner synthetic version. My last oil change I actually used less lucas though.

BTW I actually posted my issues on another thread earlier today. Thanks for the information I will defenitely look into this. I might just change my oil tonight and use only 10w40

Old 10-28-2014, 01:22 AM
If you want thicker oil, why not just use thicker oil? The oil additives just mimic thicker oil. I used to run 20w50 conventional for my first couple years with the G.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:43 AM
Originally Posted by Gdirtyfive55
If you want thicker oil, why not just use thicker oil? The oil additives just mimic thicker oil. I used to run 20w50 conventional for my first couple years with the G.
I already run 10W40. idk. I am going to focus on my actual problem thread and keep from taking away the knowledge on this thread. Thank you though.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 5a/t has rev up

now correct me if my wrong but i have 5a/t and was told by other owners that are of the profession, that it was so.. rev up (Or whatever the proper term for the "more power range" motor) as far as i know redlines at 6600 as displayed on one of the posts.. mine also reds at 66.. now mine also has a nismo bumper and skyline badges, not right hand drive so i guess hella modded, but stock intake and exhaust still pulls on all other stock gs and zs on the road and leaves behind my buddies 2008 a4 on the mountains.. im also running extra wide performance tires tho.. came with the car.. regardless it might just be that a/t is just better for the short strips, cant shift faster in a manny...(not to mention the true luxury of sport shift and kickin back in drive).. anyways, sure maybe it has a modded cluster to really meet the looks of the real skyline.. but the computer has rev limits based off oem spec and CA SMOG..( unless u got a halfway crooked insider thats slidin out particular vehicles aha).. much to be commented on this reply.. have at it.. for i seek the truth.. and having a hard time finding the person who built this ****... thanksthewave:

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How can I tell non rev from rev up