G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Knocking sound.....?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 12:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knocking sound.....?

I have a 2006 6MT that's making a knocking sound when i disengage my clutch you can hear me pressing and releasing the clutch as it sync with the sound in this video. What do you guys think? Throwout bearing going out maybe?

Old 08-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
That's not the noise a throw out bearing makes, sounds like it's in time with the flywheel. Might be something coming apart with the clutch facing. Have it checked out before it totally lets go, might cause bigger problems!
Gary

Old 08-18-2011, 04:07 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree with Gary. It's definitely not the throwout bearing.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:14 PM
Yeah maybe flywheel like kid said

Old 08-18-2011, 05:17 PM
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by kidtronix
Flywheel.
thats not it

Old 08-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
but i may be wrong

Old 08-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Guess i'll find out this weekend when i take it to my mechanic.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
You are pushing the clutch in right every time you hear that noise. That is the noise of the clutch fork and the slave cylinder. I would get underneath and do couple things before wasting thousands of dollars on internet opinions from people who do not have a manual 6mt.

Change out your fluid, use wd40 on the clutch pedal, get underneath where the slave cylinder is and bleed the system and while there use a brush and work the fork "tongue" and the inner part of the fork with high temp copper grease like anti seize from permatex.

this is what you are hearing every time you push the clutch pedal in. The slave is pushing the fork and disengaging the clutch. When you let go of the pedal really quick it is probably slapping on the tongue or the slave. Some anti seize on there and inside will help quiet it down.

I would do this for diagnosis since people on the interweb love to jump to crazy conclusion that involves spending tons of money with no experience in diagnostics.

Change fluid / bleed at slave
WD40 pedal
Grease fork with high temp anti seize copper
Change Slave cylinder (probably not necessary since that is only when pedal will not return but only $29.99)
Change master cylinder (might be the issue but usually clean fluid make a big difference and report back before you buy a new master)

After all that is exhausted and noise is still there now might be the time for throwout bearing. Keep in mind you were able to do all the external diagnostics that did not involve ripping out the tranny and only spent $250 max for fluids, master and slave cylinder versus $1000 for clutch job. How many miles on the car currently and how long have you owned it for. Also is your clutch feel like it is slipping or it grabs just fine and operates like normal besides the noise.

http://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-...r-the-car.html

Old 08-18-2011, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by faiz23
You are pushing the clutch in right every time you hear that noise. That is the noise of the clutch fork and the slave cylinder. I would get underneath and do couple things before wasting thousands of dollars on internet opinions from people who do not have a manual 6mt.

Change out your fluid, use wd40 on the clutch pedal, get underneath where the slave cylinder is and bleed the system and while there use a brush and work the fork "tongue" and the inner part of the fork with high temp copper grease like anti seize from permatex.

this is what you are hearing every time you push the clutch pedal in. The slave is pushing the fork and disengaging the clutch. When you let go of the pedal really quick it is probably slapping on the tongue or the slave. Some anti seize on there and inside will help quiet it down.

I would do this for diagnosis since people on the interweb love to jump to crazy conclusion that involves spending tons of money with no experience in diagnostics.

Change fluid / bleed at slave
WD40 pedal
Grease fork with high temp anti seize copper
Change Slave cylinder (probably not necessary since that is only when pedal will not return but only $29.99)
Change master cylinder (might be the issue but usually clean fluid make a big difference and report back before you buy a new master)

After all that is exhausted and noise is still there now might be the time for throwout bearing. Keep in mind you were able to do all the external diagnostics that did not involve ripping out the tranny and only spent $250 max for fluids, master and slave cylinder versus $1000 for clutch job. How many miles on the car currently and how long have you owned it for. Also is your clutch feel like it is slipping or it grabs just fine and operates like normal besides the noise.

http://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-...r-the-car.html

its a 2006 6MT with 71k miles and i've owned it for roughly 2 years now.

I only hear it when i am disengaging the clutch. I will definitely try what you recommended and see if there is any changes. About a few months ago my clutch pedal actually did start getting stuck mid way and i would have to stick the tip of my foot under the pedal to tap it back up, but yeah dude thanks for the heads up i already changed fluid and bleed but not the others which i will do and i'll keep you updated, but correct me if i am wrong if it was the master cylinder, wouldn't it make that sound regardless if the car was on or not? Because i can only create the sound that is shown in the video when my car is running other than that i can't hear it when my car is off.

Last edited by XternaL; 08-18-2011 at 06:14 PM.