G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

2400 RPM Redline....WTF?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2400 RPM Redline....WTF?!?!?!

weirdest crap happened to me yesterday....while returning from Blockbuster, my G35 started acting funny...I couldn't REV past 2400 at all...and it smelled funny, like something was burning...I immediatly pulled over and shut off the engine...waited like 5 minutes, started it up again and it still was the same...I had to drive in 5th/6th gear all the way home ....when I got home, I turned off the engine....waited about 10 minutes, and restarted it again...somehow, it went back to normal...

has this ever happened to anyone else?!?! I'm clueless what this problem is...my car only has like 8K miles...

Old 01-03-2005, 10:45 AM
English dude, English
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 6mt sedan and this happened to me once as well. I had the Injen CAI and I went to the car wash. I think that with all of the water in the car wash I might have gotten some of the water on my MAF sensor. I pulled off the road opened up the hood and let the sun hit it for about 15 min. I started it up again and everything was fine! Was it raining when this happened? or did you go into a water puddle? and do you have any aftermarket intake?

Old 01-03-2005, 11:10 AM
That happened to me when i forgot to plug in the maf sensor after I installed my intake.. it smelled horrible and just would not let me rev past 2kish.. but once I plugged it in i was ok. .

Old 01-03-2005, 11:45 AM
FGC South Florida BOD
The MAF on the G is very prone to problems if you have an intake and it won't let you rev past certain rpm. Probably something caused your car to go into 'default' mode for a few minutes.

The way you said it though, 2400 rpm Redline.. sounded like someone cracked an ECU for the G with a lower redline lol.

Old 01-03-2005, 12:20 PM
Sounds like you went into "limp mode".

go to my350z and do a search on limp mode, you will see that many have had this happen.

Good luck.

Old 01-03-2005, 02:25 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Originally Posted by chops
Sounds like you went into "limp mode".

go to my350z and do a search on limp mode, you will see that many have had this happen.

Good luck.

That is what happened, i forgot what causes limp mode though!!!

Old 01-03-2005, 02:55 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Low air to fuel ratio? If the MAF sends info to the ECU that the fuel mixture is too lean, that may cause the car to go into limp mode. I know it happens a lot with intakes because of the air filter or something like that.

Old 01-03-2005, 05:47 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by djskyy
weirdest crap happened to me yesterday....while returning from Blockbuster, my G35 started acting funny...I couldn't REV past 2400 at all...and it smelled funny, like something was burning...I immediatly pulled over and shut off the engine...waited like 5 minutes, started it up again and it still was the same...I had to drive in 5th/6th gear all the way home ....when I got home, I turned off the engine....waited about 10 minutes, and restarted it again...somehow, it went back to normal...

has this ever happened to anyone else?!?! I'm clueless what this problem is...my car only has like 8K miles...
Your car for some reason went into 'Limp home mode', whereby it will allow you to preceed but at a very reduced rate of speed.
As to why it triggered that, the dealer could prolly scan the ECU for a code that should point to the cause.

I believe the TCU (tranny control module if automatic) will do this too, not sure.

Time to visit the dealership.

Old 01-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a range of normal air flow thru the maf [grams per second] that occur with each rpm amount and throttle % of opening. This can only vary by temperature [1% per 11F] or barameter pressure [1% per 333' above seal level 29.92" HG.

Once the MAF reports an impossible amount [say ideal +- 20%] then the limp mode is engaged to protect the engine.

ODB2 requires every sensor have a backup and safety control strategy in the event of a disparity between two common sensors monitorig the same thing!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-04-2005, 01:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gsedanman
Your car for some reason went into 'Limp home mode', whereby it will allow you to preceed but at a very reduced rate of speed.
As to why it triggered that, the dealer could prolly scan the ECU for a code that should point to the cause.

I believe the TCU (tranny control module if automatic) will do this too, not sure.

Time to visit the dealership.
Limp mode on the auto is a little different. It just locks the tranny in 4th gear. Makes for a very sad driving experience, because you can hear the ECU slipping the torque converter like mad, just to get the car to get out of it's own way when accelerating from a stop. I should have shut it down, and restarted. As I was on my way to the dealer anyways, I just limped to the dealer. They could not reproduce it, and said it must have been a hiccup. So they just turned off the SES light.

About a year has passed without incident until yesterday. On my way to the movies with the wife, I stopped at a stop sign to make a left. When traffic cleared, I hit the gas, but the car felt like it stalled. I idled into the middle of the intersection, and I saw my tach still idling, but no go, no matter how much I hit the gas... (Getting scared at this point, as I was glad I wasn't trying to gun it to merge with traffic)... As I idled to the side of the street, the VDC and Slip lights turn on.. (Oh great)... Then the SES light flips on with it... (damit)

I shut it down, and restart... Magically the car returned to normal. (Except for the SES light)... After the movies, I drove home, and plugged in my AutoTap. Says no DTC were set on this cycle, but a P2135 was stored in memory. (Throttle Position Sensor)... Apparently the two throttle position sensors send inverse signals of each other to the ECU for error detection. This code will be set, if these two signals are not inverses of each other. Which basically meant the ECU had no idea what the throttle position was, which is why VDC/SLIP turned on, because if it can't adjust throttle angle, it can't do squat. It says the car will go into drive-by-wire/Limp mode, where it will VERY SLOWLY adjust throttle angle. It says it will yield very poor acceleration... They weren't kidding. I think I can accelerate on my mountain bike faster than my car was.

I haven't been able to reproduce this, so I just turned off the SES light, and chalked another one up to a hiccup.

Last edited by avs007; 01-04-2005 at 01:59 AM.