G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

IP paint job

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by monteitis
Tri-coat shouldn't be 3 times as much, a normal color is 2-coat.. base and clear. The reason you're quote will be a bit high is because basically the entire is getting sprayed except the doors, roof, and hood. Rear bumper and trunk will be blended to the bigass quarters... front bumper will be blended to fenders.
This seems good but bad in a way , I personaly think having to pay for an extra 4 panels to be painted that have perfect paint isn't right . Shouldnt a quality shop be able to match the paint well enough so that they wouldn't have to do unecassary painting? And if theyre going to go to that extent, it would probably make sence to do the doors too so the whole side of the car is matched? If this is the case I'm probably looking at a couple grand for this job lol

Old 02-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by monteitis
Tri-coat shouldn't be 3 times as much, a normal color is 2-coat.. base and clear. The reason you're quote will be a bit high is because basically the entire is getting sprayed except the doors, roof, and hood. Rear bumper and trunk will be blended to the bigass quarters... front bumper will be blended to fenders.
It was an exaggeration...point was a 3-stage paint job is going to cost more than your typical 2-stage paint job....more paint/materials....more labor.

And that's not true about it costing more because it needs to be "blended". There is nothing to even be "blended" in this scenario. All the sections he is painting are individual parts requiring total coverage. It will need to be color-matched, yes...but not "blended". A painter is not going to charge you more to make sure the color he's painting your parts is the same as the rest of the car. lol Pretty sure that's simply normal practice.

Blended means you're re-painting just a section or portion of a panel without doing the entire thing....you would blend the color and then re-clear the entire panel. And even if blending was involved in this paintjob (which it isnt) you usually are not looking at an increased cost.....blending is actually used in order to save time and money because it means you're not re-painting the entire part.

And actually, if the parts your painting are not yet installed on the car, you might actually save a couple bucks because it's alot easier for someone to do the parts off your car.....less prep work and masking.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Jhambor
It was an exaggeration...point was a 3-stage paint job is going to cost more than your typical 2-stage paint job....more paint/materials....more labor.

And that's not true about it costing more because it needs to be "blended". There is nothing to even be "blended" in this scenario. All the sections he is painting are individual parts requiring total coverage. It will need to be color-matched, yes...but not "blended". A painter is not going to charge you more to make sure the color he's painting your parts is the same as the rest of the car. lol Pretty sure that's simply normal practice.

Blended means you're re-painting just a section or portion of a panel without doing the entire thing....you would blend the color and then re-clear the entire panel. And even if blending was involved in this paintjob (which it isnt) you usually are not looking at an increased cost.....blending is actually used in order to save time and money because it means you're not re-painting the entire part.

And actually, if the parts your painting are not yet installed on the car, you might actually save a couple bucks because it's alot easier for someone to do the parts off your car.....less prep work and masking.
well this makes more sense now Haha . Blending just sounds like a cheap way to get away without having to paint a whole panel, which in turn wouldn't give such a great results. This would be a good you get what you pay for scenerio. But eh I'm no profrssioinal painter lol. I'm going to get a quote from my guy today just out of curiosity to see what ill be looking at for the whole job. And yea the pieces are going to be sent to him brand new in the box.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I am also in the same boat as you I been looking around to paint my strafe trunk and got quoted from 600-1200 and i am from norcal area. Luckily my nismo front and impul sides were painted when i got it but i gotta spot paint some areas.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
yeah IP is a sweet color, looks great when its clean but paint is expensive and it gets dirty fast

Old 02-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by SupradonFaSho
I am also in the same boat as you I been looking around to paint my strafe trunk and got quoted from 600-1200 and i am from norcal area. Luckily my nismo front and impul sides were painted when i got it but i gotta spot paint some areas.
$1200 seems extremely high unless the trunk requires a ton of prep work and they're fitting/installing the trunk as well. If they're just painting it, I can't see a trunk costing more than $3-600.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Yea that price is way too much. I just got a quote from a reputable shop for 5 pieces and the guy said betwen 1500 and 2000