G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Compression Rod Question!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Compression Rod Question!

I have to order a new compression rod (some sights call it a lower control arm).
Im ordering it off rock auto but there are a few that look the same but are priced $10-$20 apart. Is there really a difference? should i just order the cheapest one? Its my front right lower control arm/ compression rod.

Heres the link to the rock-auto sight

$64.52
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1971000

$64.52
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3386913

$69.50
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3283026

$71.50
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1971298

$83.45
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2991429

Im confused at the difference between all them. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-10-2012, 05:01 AM
Anyone??

Old 03-10-2012, 07:23 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Fourth link down is a lower control arm not a CR. Looks like the difference in the other parts is due to different manufacturers producing the parts. However I have no idea if one is better than the other.

I really had no idea this many companies made aftermarket CRs, I wonder how the bushings used compare to OEM...............

Old 03-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Well for the price of what inifniti wants, i could buy almost four of the first one :/

Old 03-23-2012, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you end up going with one of these manufacturers? Ive decided to order a mevotech compression rod to troubleshoot whats bent on my car. I am interested to hear your experiance with any of these chepo brands.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Ya i went with mevotech too. Ive only had it on for two days so i wont have experienced very much but so far its feels normal to me

Old 07-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Update on Mevotech compression arms

midnighttheg35, what is your experience with the Mevotech compression rods? Are they holding up? Any problems with fitment?

Old 09-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by frankie03G
midnighttheg35, what is your experience with the Mevotech compression rods? Are they holding up? Any problems with fitment?
My experience with mevotech compression rod and lower control arms has not been great.. both parts had their issues. Im not a mechanic so take this for what it is:

LCA - the mounting point at the steering knuckle was not machined correctly, the alignment cone pokes through the top of the arm and requires some various washers to "make it work".. no bueno.

Compression rod - The balljoint shaft is about 50% longer than stock.. again requiring various washers or you will run out of threads before you can get it tight.. no bueno.

all in all things were never quite right with the mevotech parts, and thats something I couldn't live with on my DD.. I would not recommend these parts to anyone.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Roni,

Nice inputs man. I was holding until someone tried the Mevotech LCR's and looks like it's not even worth it. My LLCR is shot so looks like I will have to forkout $$$$$ for the OEM LLCR's from the Infiniti dealership which is also a No Bueno

Old 09-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Mevotech makes middle grade parts. Sub-OEM quality, In my experience for basic non-performance replacements:

TRW > Mevotech > Auto Extra

Old 08-26-2013, 04:56 PM
Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kcmacaroni
My experience with mevotech compression rod and lower control arms has not been great.. both parts had their issues. Im not a mechanic so take this for what it is:

LCA - the mounting point at the steering knuckle was not machined correctly, the alignment cone pokes through the top of the arm and requires some various washers to "make it work".. no bueno.

Compression rod - The balljoint shaft is about 50% longer than stock.. again requiring various washers or you will run out of threads before you can get it tight.. no bueno.

all in all things were never quite right with the mevotech parts, and thats something I couldn't live with on my DD.. I would not recommend these parts to anyone.
I've seen people run into these issues as well. For the LCA the reason it did not fit was because you most likely had the wrong arms. They actually make two separate types of arms, one set for 03-04 and another set for 05+. If you try to use the wrong arms it will appear that they are correct, but it will require the use of "washers" like you say... It's not really your fault either for ordering the wrong ones, as many sites have (and might still have) those arms listed incorrectly. Always double check on mevotech's site to make sure you are ordering compatible parts.

Regarding the Compression Rod, the ball joint shaft is supposed have the original cone washer transferred to it from the old arm. Some of the compression rods from mevotech came without these washers and required remove of the old washers, however, I have seen the newer arms already come with these washers in the box. If you don't install the washers, the ball joint shaft will come out a lot more, causing above described problems.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
It's all about the quality of the bearings!

We have sponsors on Driver from Infiniti that give us major discounts so why buy cheap parts with less quality than OE parts? You're better off spending a few more $ now than replacing those cheap azz parts a year from now!
Gary

Old 08-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
We have sponsors on Driver from Infiniti that give us major discounts so why buy cheap parts with less quality than OE parts? You're better off spending a few more $ now than replacing those cheap azz parts a year from now!
Gary
OEM compression rods are really nothing special. The bushings go bad all the time, the ball joints go bad. Sure, you can change the bushings out - but according to the service bulletin, you should be using a shop press with a gauge - and if that gauge reads out of range, you have to toss the arm...

A single factory compression rod (new) costs $180 - the cheapest I can locate it from riverside infiniti. The mevotech equivalent is $60. That is one third the price of the original, AND it carries mevotech warranty, which I believe is 5 yrs, unlimited mileage, unlike nissan/infiniti's 30 day warranty.

Comparing the arms side by side and driving around on them, aligning with them, I really can't tell the difference and I haven't had anyone else tell me they notice the difference either (only an improvement over existing worn joint/bushing). I hate to say it, but I just don't care because they work. They last as long, if not longer than the stock arms and they just perform to expectations. So why bother paying 3 times the price?

On the other hand, upgrading the stock arms to energy suspension compression rod bushings, that kind of changes the game. In fact, you can get a complete set of ES bushings from our site sponsor z1motorsports for under $120 - that's a deal!

The following 2 users liked this post by bythabay:
Blue Dream (08-27-2013), redpearl99 (08-27-2013)
Old 08-26-2013, 11:21 PM
i used the raysbestos on my car and haven't had any problems out of them.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:45 AM
Received 350 Likes on 232 Posts
agree with bythebay, but I also decided a long time ago not to go with ES bushings as I wouldnt want to take the risk of the masssssiiive headache poly bushings squeaks would cause

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Compression Rod Question!