G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Axle click while braking instead of taking off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DailyDrivenCoupe
ok gotcha so you are refering to the actual hardware. when i hear shim i think the piece on the back on the brake pad itself. thanks for explaining. interested if u figured it out so keep us posted
Yeah, sorry about the confusion. I think the same thing but I've heard those brackets called shims too so I just go with it lol.

I'll report back shortly.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:59 AM
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
did you end up fixing the noise?

Old 05-16-2012, 10:11 AM
did you end up fixing the noise?
I haven't forgotten about you guys. I think I'm on to something but I have to wait until the weekend when I can tear into the car.

It has something to do with the parking brake. I pulled the e-brake about 25% while I was braking and the noise stopped and I also heard a clink type sound when I pulled it (while driving). After I did that the noise would go away about 90% for a little while then come back. I've been able to replicate this over and over this week.

I think the e-brake shoes either need to be adjusted or something in them is binding. I will pull it apart this weekend and report back. In the meantime try pulling the e-brake about 1/4 way up while driving, then come to a stop and see if the noise dissipates or goes away completely.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:58 PM
lol i think ill wait for your results, this will prolly be rather difficult for me to do in my 5at lol

Old 05-16-2012, 02:03 PM
lol i think ill wait for your results, this will prolly be rather difficult for me to do in my 5at lol
Haha, yeah probably so. I'll let you know if it has anything to do with the e-brake shoes after I pull them apart. I'm definitely leaning towards that right now.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:03 PM
UPDATE:

So I finally had a chance to take the rear rotors off and poke around this weekend. Didn't find anything glaringly wrong. So I just cleaned up the dust and e-brake shoes, rotors, etc. Then I re-adjusted the e-brake shoes on both sides and then adjusted the e-brake handle.

I also took the passenger axle out and greased it to get rid of the axle click that I ironically developed while trying to track this noise down.

Since doing this I haven't heard the noise a single time while coming to a stop. What I'm thinking is that the passenger side e-brake was adjusted too tight and was coming in contact with the inside of the rotor while I was braking. I'm not positive of this though, just a guess.

Anyway, give it a shot, only takes about 20 minutes to take the wheels off and adjust the rear shoes and the e-brake in the cabin.

Good luck!

Old 05-21-2012, 01:26 PM
ok i might have to look into that. you are the only other people to claim to hear the croaking/creeking sound coming from the caliper. might have to take a look at this to see if mine is inside the e-brake components as well. sucks i just put my spacers on too, now more work to take them back off lol

Old 05-21-2012, 01:41 PM
ok i might have to look into that. you are the only other people to claim to hear the croaking/creeking sound coming from the caliper. might have to take a look at this to see if mine is inside the e-brake components as well. sucks i just put my spacers on too, now more work to take them back off lol
I had spacers too that I had to take off, haha. No biggie.

Hope it works out for you...make sure you adjust the shoes and e-brake handle.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks gonna try this. Been having this exact issue on my 2007 g35 coupe with 32k miles for awhile now. Clicking/ticking sound that occurs mostly when braking fairly lightly. The click/tick frequency is related to the speed, so the click gets slower as car the slows down with brake applied. Had it looked at by a mechanic, he said it was the backing plate contacting the rotor, the sound was gone but came back the next day.

Last edited by Mike247; 06-14-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Mike247
Thanks gonna try this. Been having this exact issue on my 2007 g35 coupe with 32k miles for awhile now. Clicking/ticking sound that occurs mostly when braking fairly lightly. The click/tick frequency is related to the speed, so the click gets slower as car the slows down with brake applied. Had it looked at by a mechanic, he said it was the backing plate contacting the rotor, the sound was gone but came back the next day.
Cool man, report back with the results. I'd be interested to hear if it helped. Just be sure when you are adjusting the shoes to click that adjusting wheel until it wont go any more, then rotate it back about 6-8 clicks.

Hope it works.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the late response, I had to put this off for awhile due to a stripped brake caliper bolt.
Anyway, After getting the stripped bolt pins off I lubed up the new ones and all the metal to metal contact points around the pads, caliper, caliper piston with silicone grease and readjusted the parking brake shoe tension with a flat head screwdriver.
I couldn't remove the rotor to check the parking brake because the 19mm bolts were too tight, but it worked, and the clicking is gone for over a week now.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Mike247
Sorry for the late response, I had to put this off for awhile due to a stripped brake caliper bolt.
Anyway, After getting the stripped bolt pins off I lubed up the new ones and all the metal to metal contact points around the pads, caliper, caliper piston with silicone grease and readjusted the parking brake shoe tension with a flat head screwdriver.
I couldn't remove the rotor to check the parking brake because the 19mm bolts were too tight, but it worked, and the clicking is gone for over a week now.
Awesome, glad to hear it worked. I haven't heard the click since I fixed mine either. I think it has to do mainly with making sure the parking brake shoes are adjusted correctly.