G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Axle click while braking instead of taking off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Axle click while braking instead of taking off?

UPDATE POST #21

Has anyone ever had the infamous axle click while braking instead of taking off from a stop?

Im getting a really bad grinding/clicking type sound from the passenger rear brakes while braking only. It only happens below about 20 mph and only at about 50%-60% braking force. Any more or any less force and it doesn't happen. Also, it seems to make the sound twice per rotation of the wheel at the same exact intervals every time.

Not sure if it's the axle click or not, actually Im pretty sure it's not but Im running out of ideas.

Here is a list of what I've checked and what it is NOT:

-NOT a seized brake caliper
-NOT the shims
-NOT the strut top mount nut
-Pretty sure it's not the pads or rotor as there aren't any groves in the rotor and they both seem to be wearing perfectly fine.
-All suspension nuts/bolts are tight
-Pretty sure it's not the wheel bearing either since the only time it makes noise is when braking and I've never heard a wheel bearing sound like this. Also, I tried to wiggle the wheel when it was jacked up and it doesn't budge.

Im out of ideas other than the axle. Any input or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by youloze; 05-21-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have this going during light acceleration in first and second gear. As soon as I begin to accelerate from a stop I hear a single click.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by blues3531
I have this going during light acceleration in first and second gear. As soon as I begin to accelerate from a stop I hear a single click.
Thanks for the reply but mine is ONLY while braking.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you by any chance drive my car? Same symptoms, haven't checked the cause though, been busy lately. Would like to know what it is. I hope it's not my axle

Old 05-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
ive been having a weird brake issue like this as well, checked all the same things you have. mine is more of a croaking/clicking sound and only under the same braking conditions as you. if i wait and brake hard then no noise. subscribed to this

Old 05-13-2012, 11:01 AM
LOL wow I guess Im not the only one with this problem. Dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing. Hopefully someone else that had this problem and resolved it will chime in.

In the meantime I think I'll go ahead and pull the axle, clean it and grease it up since its an easy enough job. I'll report back with results.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:21 AM
sounds good let us know how that works out for you!

Old 05-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you talking about the shin on the pad. Check the hardware on the caliper bridge make sure the when the pads are sitting on it there's no play.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by vegaszx10
Are you talking about the shin on the pad. Check the hardware on the caliper bridge make sure the when the pads are sitting on it there's no play.
Good question, all shims are greased and in good shape. When I say shims I mean the ones on the back of the pads themselves AND the ones that the pads mount in as well. I actually had a noise from the shims that the pads sit in when I bought the car but I greased them up and they are good now.

Good question though!

Old 05-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by youloze
Good question, all shims are greased and in good shape. When I say shims I mean the ones on the back of the pads themselves AND the ones that the pads mount in as well. I actually had a noise from the shims that the pads sit in when I bought the car but I greased them up and they are good now.

Good question though!
Make sure the pads are tight on that shim cause if there's a little play you will hear a click.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:09 PM

Good question though!
can you explain more about this noise...

Old 05-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by DailyDrivenCoupe
can you explain more about this noise...
It was a metal on metal creaking noise. What it was was the dry metal shim (that the pads mount in) rubbing on the metal caliper when the caliper flexes while braking.

If this is your noise, you'll know it by wiggling the shims on the caliper. I fixed it by greasing the shims, but now I have this new noise :-(

Old 05-13-2012, 09:24 PM
It was a metal on metal creaking noise. What it was was the dry metal shim (that the pads mount in) rubbing on the metal caliper when the caliper flexes while braking.

If this is your noise, you'll know it by wiggling the shims on the caliper. I fixed it by greasing the shims, but now I have this new noise :-(
ok well i highly doubt this is my problem. i have no metal on metal type screeching. but just to get some more information in this tread are you refering to the shims on the back of the brake pad or the actual hardware that the pad slides into that you greased

Old 05-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by DailyDrivenCoupe
ok well i highly doubt this is my problem. i have no metal on metal type screeching. but just to get some more information in this tread are you refering to the shims on the back of the brake pad or the actual hardware that the pad slides into that you greased
I greased both the back of the pads and the metal shims that they slide into. The piece that was making the creaking sound was the shim that they slide into, not the shims on the back of the pads themselves.

And just to clarify it was a creaking/clicking sound, not a screeching sound. Actually pretty close to this new sound Im getting.

BTW, I may be onto something with this new sound. I tried something out today and the noise went away but I need to test it a little more tomorrow before I can be sure of the results. I will post about it as soon as I have some more solid info.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:06 PM
ok gotcha so you are refering to the actual hardware. when i hear shim i think the piece on the back on the brake pad itself. thanks for explaining. interested if u figured it out so keep us posted

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Axle click while braking instead of taking off?