G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

How to remove ENTIRE front end of a G35 Coupe up to the engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 06:33 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
How to remove ENTIRE front end of a G35 Coupe up to the engine

So, I've been searching, and hunting and pretty much getting nowhere on this.

But is there, on these forums or else where, a set of instructions / DIY / video or anything at all that describes the process of disassembling the ENTIRE front end of a G35 Coupe? I'm talking from removing the front bumper and headlights, through the front impact bar and the radiator, fan... the LOT! So that it's just the RAW front of your engine poking out into the world.

Does this exist? I hope so - because when I have to go and change out the Timing Chain and upper plastic secondary chain guides (and other parts for that process) I don't want to have to remove the engine to do it.

I was over @ S&R Performance one day and the tech putting on a dual turbo setup on this one guys car has all of that stuff off and it was PERFECT for getting at the engine.... I mean just perfection for accessing the engine's whole front half from top to bottom.

So - that's what I want to do.

Input? T.I.A.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
I know there was a diy to remove the front bumper.. it really not that hard at all.. Just make sure u bag all the bolts and label them or else its gonna get ugly.. haha

Old 08-26-2012, 06:51 PM
In terms of the Timing Chain process it's self I should have no problem. I've found enough info on it and am mechanically inclined enough to do it with that info. It's just the getting the myriad parts of the front end off that I'd like to educate myself about in advance if possible ya know?

A good forum post on the timing chains themselves:
https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...ing-chain.html

(this is the original of the post above here I think, but goes even further down the engine disassembly process)
http://my350z.com/forum/engine-drive...ing-chain.html

Some schematics:
http://my350z.com/forum/forced-induc...tensioner.html

And videos that I've saved for reference:
(the best one that discusses the upper plastic guides that wear out)

Describing how to set "Top Dead Center":

More about the timing cover removal teardown process (a warning to not forget the bottom oil pan bolts!) Internal bits start at around 41 minutes:

Last edited by CLRH2O; 08-26-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:01 PM
The front bumper isn't that much a worry to me - it's everything else under the bumper that needs to be removed too (all the structural parts that constitute the *car* underneath all the pretty bits). That's what I'm primarily looking for.

So, when I'm done and ready to get into the actual engine work - this is what I want to see before me while standing in front of the car (minus the turbo of course - that's from the install I told you about above @ S&R that gave me this idea in the first place... thankfully I snapped a pic while there):

Last edited by CLRH2O; 08-26-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is nothing difficult about it. just undue all the bolts that are in your way. make sure you bag and label each set of bolts so you dont loose them. remove the radiator and shroud first from the top. the lines running to the ac condensor can bend out of the way, so you can remove the core support without discharging your A/C

Old 08-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by Neal376
there is nothing difficult about it. just undue all the bolts that are in your way. make sure you bag and label each set of bolts so you dont loose them. remove the radiator and shroud first from the top. the lines running to the ac condensor can bend out of the way, so you can remove the core support without discharging your A/C
This is good info, I was wondering about those - flexibility and all. And I've got this sort of over-sized tackle box setup I generally use for my project bolts and fasteners, so I'mgood one that.

Other things I was sort of fishing for with this thread were bits of info like: Are there any *gotchas* on removing the front crush bar or other fame components. Are there bits that might need some weirdo tool I wouldn't normally have... or an - "oh by the way Nissan reverse threaded these two long bolts on 'X' so be aware of that" sort of stuff

Last edited by CLRH2O; 08-27-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:30 PM
I'm guessing not a whole lot of people do this to their G's..... I'm either completely fearless. Or utterly insane for wanting to LOL

Old 08-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Front bumper is cake down to that is pretty fearless just label everything so not trying to figure out what goes where .