G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

RSX Switchover to the G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 08:30 AM
Cmon Son!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RSX Switchover to the G

As if not evident, I am brand new to the boards. I am glad this forum is here.

I have had my 02 RSX type S for around 2 years now. When I bought it, it was one of the peppiest 4 cylinder rides out there and was fun to rev high. For some odd reason, at the age of 26, I am starting to feel old and now find refinement more attractive. The G35 coupe has always been attractive to me but was out of my price range a few years back, but with a few job hops and relo, Im finally here. Out of all cars, this is my choice without question. After test driving the 04 a couple times, this is quite a car.

I will be ordering an 05 6MT with the works in a couple of weeks.

What can any of you guys tell me about your transitions from your last car to this one?

I will be reading the forums closely which may answer this last question, but have the recent coupes suffered any major or really irritating problems??

much thanks

Old 01-18-2005, 08:45 AM
Cmon Son!
oh yeah, sorry for the double, one more good question..

How much should I expect to pay for my G? the MSRP with all packages comes out to around 39.6K

Old 01-18-2005, 08:51 AM
Welcome. As far as transition goes its like any new car. I myself came from a BMW 5-speed and it was a tough adjustment because I just wanted to slam the gas and feel my back thrust to the seat. However, I kept it under redline during my break in period (I did mine for 5K miles).

As far as any car, this car has its issues. Loud road noise and rattlings in the car can be a nuisance as well as the window motor going out and the Bose losing sound on the right side of the vehicle.

You'll come to learn that all these problems are easily fixed at the dealer though and besides them, I still get a kick out of looking at my car while driving by buildings with mirrors or looking back after parking it. The lines on the car are truly breathtaking to me. Not to mention, chicks dig it

Have fun with your new vehicle. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

And oh yea, the exhaust sound is probably the best you'll hear stock besides some high-end exotic cars IMO.

EDIT: Also I see you're in Falls Church. I also work in Northern VA. I think you'll like your experience at Passport Infiniti in Alexandria. I think a lot of people love that dealership and maintenance issues there. Should you have any questions you can PM me or hit me up on AIM.

Last edited by Pratik; 01-18-2005 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:59 AM
Cmon Son!
thanks for your post man, much appreciated. Also, thanks for the tip on Passport. I recently went there after going to Rosenthall and have made that my home for sure.

As for the nuisances, the Bose going out is a new one heh.. thats crazy. I have rattling problems in the RSX but acura wanted nothing to do with it, so its good to know that Passport will help out.

Old 01-18-2005, 09:05 AM
There are something called "TSB's" or Technical Service Bulletins. I think there is a list of them on this site which are things that the Infiniti dealership will fix. I think especially where we live you'll deal with the rattles because of the changing climates so bad has something to do with it but while you're driving you'll enjoy that so much you won't remember the rattles so much.

I unfortunately had to get my car from Jim Coleman (I got VPP and knew a salesman there) - Lots of people have had horrible experiences there but mine isn't that bad. I've just heard Passport is a lot better.

Old 01-18-2005, 09:11 AM
I actually just made the switch from the 02 RSX type s to G35 sc. The clutch takes some getting used to but overall an easy switch. I too was feeling older and felt the need for a grown up car. Hell the insurance is even cheaper on the G35. Go figure. Enjoy your decision, I did.

Old 01-18-2005, 09:35 AM
Same Boat as me. I bought my 02 RSX Type S in October 01, Had it for alittle more than three years. Was a great little car for what it is. Ordered my 05 G35 MT (loaded) this past weekend. Suppose to get it by the end of the month. At 27 figured it was time for an upgrade.

Old 01-18-2005, 10:35 AM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enjoy the torque is all I can say Having owned a Honda, I can honestly say that I've had less rattles in my Nissans. Honda ergonomics are better (G35 = not very intuitive layout for 03, 04) but Nissan quality is good. My rear suspension started creaking and there is a TSB on it...they will probably retorque or replace my rear axle. Its a common problem but easy to fix.

Old 01-18-2005, 10:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by clokwork

I have had my 02 RSX type S for around 2 years now. When I bought it, it was one of the peppiest 4 cylinder rides out there and was fun to rev high. For some odd reason, at the age of 26, I am starting to feel old and now find refinement more attractive. The G35 coupe has always been attractive to me but was out of my price range a few years back, but with a few job hops and relo, Im finally here. Out of all cars, this is my choice without question. After test driving the 04 a couple times, this is quite a car.

What can any of you guys tell me about your transitions from your last car to this one?

I will be reading the forums closely which may answer this last question, but have the recent coupes suffered any major or really irritating problems??

much thanks

Congrats....great move to the G! I always wonder about how durable those super high-revving Honda 4 cylinder engines are, say when it gets up to 150,000 miles (I like to keep cars a long time). Besides my new G Coupe 6MT, I have a '91 Nissan 300ZX with 164,000 miles with the VG30DE V-6, and it runs like new and doesn't drink a drop of oil. I'm hoping the VQ in the G does as well. A few owners with the VQ have experienced oil consumption issues. Some owners have experienced manual transmission issues. As for my G, it only has 2700 miles on it so far, but it shifts perfectly thus far and hasn't grinded a gear yet. I've heard that there has been something like 7 revisions to the transmission already, and it was redesigned for '05. I haven't had a single rattle yet, and that includes tearing the dash apart to install the equipment needed to watch DVD's on the Nav system. Good luck with your purchase!

Old 01-18-2005, 12:52 PM
Unhappy

much thanks

come back to club rsx

Old 01-18-2005, 12:56 PM
Cmon Son!
Not that this is deterring me a bit, but its weird having such a variety of issues on the G for being such a refined car. I have had my RSX for over 2 years and 67000 miles on it, but no problems except for a tiny rattle in the drivers side pillar.

I hope all goes well with this purchase

Old 01-18-2005, 01:04 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the boards, and good luck buying the G! edmunds is pretty accurate when estimate the cost of the car.

As for the high reving 4-cylinders, if done right, they can be very durable. Take a '95 Porsche 968 for instance, bulletproof 3.0 liter 4-banger putting out 236 hp. It'll even give us a run for our money in a straight line (0-60 in ~6.1).

The last car I drove was a '95 Maxima SE, and my transition was pretty dramatic. My Max was on it's last legs: steering was loose, clutch was loose, great engine....but I love the clutch in my G, love the extra power/torque, and love the awesome handling.

Don't forget to post some pics when you get your G

*edit* re: rattles
I only have a rattle when I am reving very high, other than that, the car is very solid. I woudln't worry about rattles, as, for most people, we're just being picky.

Old 01-18-2005, 01:04 PM
Cmon Son!
Originally Posted by DeZNuTTsS
come back to club rsx
lol, I have a lot of friends there, so I will be no stranger

are you part of the G35 family too?

Old 01-18-2005, 01:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
went from 00 civic EX to 05 6MT...never looked back.

Old 01-18-2005, 02:01 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not that this is deterring me a bit, but its weird having such a variety of issues on the G for being such a refined car. I have had my RSX for over 2 years and 67000 miles on it, but no problems except for a tiny rattle in the drivers side pillar.

I hope all goes well with this purchase
You have to realize that the G is a performance car and the maintenance is going to be higher. A few TSBs are common such as windows and the rear axle thing but overall, the car is very reliable. I've had no rattles and the motor doesn't consume a drop of oil. I'm sure you'll quickly forget about the RSX

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RSX Switchover to the G