G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

fuel tank / fuel gauge issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 11:52 AM
G36
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel tank / fuel gauge issue?

Hi all - for the longest time had problem on my 04 coupe where, when filling up, the pump would stop somewhere around 3/4 - 7/8 full indicated on my fuel gauge. To get it any higher than that was pretty much impossible - sometimes it would stop far short of that and the only thing I could do was to pump the gas very slowly which would still only get me up to the 3/4-7/8 range on the gauge.

Dealer told me it was stutter valve (or shutter valve?), but wanted about $450 to fix it. Finally complained loud enough that they offered to do it for free under Infiniti's good will program. The work was done yesterday and went to fill up right afterwards and, d'Oh! Pump cut off at about 5/8ths indicated full. I coaxed the pump to pump some more gas until it was spilling out the intake and gauge still indicates less than 3/4 full. So after the "fix" the situation seems even worse than it was before.

So, my question now is "now what?". Is this a fuel gauge issue, or is an issue with the fuel tank or something related? It seems like either the gauge is wrong, or there's something physically preventing more gas from entering the tank. What should I ask the dealer to look at next?

Old 09-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Old 09-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The arm to my float (attached to the fuel pump assembley in the tank)was bent and caused a similar situation. My guage showed 1/4 tank when it was really empty. Simple as bending back in place.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check out the following TSB, last one on the page:

http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/loca...d&pp=10&page=3

Is this the work the dealer performed?

Old 09-26-2012, 12:29 PM
G36
Thanks mate! I've got the dealer taking another look in a few days on his dime. If he strikes out again I'm going to give this a try.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Did the dealer know that you were able to fill the tank completely to the point of overfilling and that it was only indicating incorrectly on your gauge? I had the same symptoms and performing the DIY resolved my issue.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:36 PM
G36
Originally Posted by onthe3rdday
Did the dealer know that you were able to fill the tank completely to the point of overfilling and that it was only indicating incorrectly on your gauge? I had the same symptoms and performing the DIY resolved my issue.
Ended up going back to the dealer and he replaced the left sensor but since then its even worse than before. Have only filled up once since then and after I did, gauge indicates just under 3/4. Gauge also can drop about 1/4 tank within a mile or so, and I've seen it drop that far and then slowly climb back up. In general, gives a much higher reading when the car is first started.

I'm a little intimidated by the DIY as I'm not very mechanical. At this point since I don't trust myself and don't think my usual dealer knows which end is up, I'm going to see if I can get any love at one of the other Infiniti or Nissan dealers around town.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G36
Ended up going back to the dealer and he replaced the left sensor but since then its even worse than before. Have only filled up once since then and after I did, gauge indicates just under 3/4. Gauge also can drop about 1/4 tank within a mile or so, and I've seen it drop that far and then slowly climb back up. In general, gives a much higher reading when the car is first started.

I'm a little intimidated by the DIY as I'm not very mechanical. At this point since I don't trust myself and don't think my usual dealer knows which end is up, I'm going to see if I can get any love at one of the other Infiniti or Nissan dealers around town.
I have the exact same problem. The needle goes way beyond where it should be on the initial start-up and 10 minutes later it starts to slowing go back down.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:55 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Did you try different pump to fill up, I had same issue and then I found ITB08-041a (HARD TO FILL FUEL TANK) but before getting ITB work performed I tried different pump and I haven't had any issue.

But do try another pump and look at ITB08-041 http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/loca...6#.UUYgIzfkR40. good luck

Old 03-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by cvipgo
Did you try different pump to fill up, I had same issue and then I found ITB08-041a (HARD TO FILL FUEL TANK) but before getting ITB work performed I tried different pump and I haven't had any issue.

But do try another pump and look at ITB08-041 http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/loca...6#.UUYgIzfkR40. good luck
You mean a different station? Or different fuel pump?

Old 03-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by _KyL_
You mean a different station? Or different fuel pump?
Try different pump if you use same gas station. or even try different gas station. I use same gas station which has 12 different pumps and I had problem with one and then I went to another pump and I have been using same pump with any problems.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:46 PM
Anyone have a fix for this ? I did the sender cleaning with no results I'm leaning towards the gauge being bad it always read higher.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:14 AM
Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
I had an issue on my 03 6mt coupe that the tank would never read full when topping it off. I wasn't aware of the DIY fixes, but after buying a grounding wires upgrade kit off a forum member here, an awesome side effect had been that the gauge now reads correctly. Maybe try cleaning the engine block grounds both to the chassis and to the harness. It used to work wonders on my 30yr old Porsche to clean up all the grounds.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:20 AM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
You might have to replace the fuel level sensor per ITB05-043: http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/loca...atid=82&id=327)
It's available as a standalone part - P/N 25060-CD000

Old 02-07-2016, 06:11 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Bumping the fuel gauge threads I used as reference:

I discovered my problem: On the float armature, there is a thin copper bracket/wire that sits behind the armature bracket and it is this copper bracket/wire that makes contact with the "piano board" that reads and sends the fuel level to the gauge. This bracket/wire has a thin copper wire that spools around the armature pivot point before threading through the armature bracket housing to where it is soldered.

My problem was two fold: 1. the copper bracket/wire was bent enough that it wasn't making full contact throughout the entire range of motion. 2. the spool of copper wiring from the bracket/wire was getting bound up on the armature mount housing and prevented the arm from moving. This somehow occurred while I was cleaning the circuit board and put it back into the tank.

So I tinkered with the copper bracket/wire by gently (I MEAN GENTLY!) bending and prying the bracket using fine tools such as picks and miniature need nose pliers until the contact point on the tip of the bracket/wire made strong contact with "piano board" throughout the entire range of motion. I then fiddled with the armature mounting point and bracket, seating, moving and reseating the armature arm mount until I could not feel anything binding up via the copper coil and there was no resistance to the armature arm moving throughout the range of motion.

I put it all back together and turned the car on to immediately see a working gas gauge. This fixed my non-working gauge immediately and fixed my P0463 code.