G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Smelled Like Burning Belt but Was Not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smelled Like Burning Belt but Was Not?

So I got off freeway and stopped at light...I smell burning rubber and I think...Oh crap I am about to lose a belt.

I replaced both belts (both looked fine) and I still have this smell.

I have read too many threads regarding similar but they are more worried about oil change intervals and brake pads, etc... Way off target for me at least.

Anyone KNOW what would be causing this? Bad alternator or tensioner bearing....OR???

2006 G35 Coupe at 91K miles. Runs great but smells bad.

Thanks

Old 11-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
When is the last time you changed your oil?

Old 11-30-2013, 01:57 PM
500 miles or so....Mobil 1

Absolutely new smell...After oil change all was good.

Smells like burning rubber.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:01 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Take a peek under your car at your exhaust system. You might have hit some plastic or rubber debris on the road that stuck to the hot exhaust and is constantly burning/melting on there.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
I have the same issue. I had read this problem before on the board.

I live with it :shrug:

Old 12-21-2013, 08:26 PM
So, a couple days ago after exiting the freeway and stopping at light I see smoke coming from under the hood. Not big bellowing smoke but just a hint.
Of course the stench still is there.
I park in garage and it stinks up the house!

My Friends and I say this i BS and no way anyone should have this going on..
I am old, 50 and so are most of my Friends so we have had some cars over the years.

THIS is rediculous.

I have googled this and it seems rather common....WTH???

Surely someone has overcome this...????

Old 12-21-2013, 11:40 PM
I haz hugz to givez

Received 286 Likes on 263 Posts
I haven't had any issues such as this one (3 G35's and 1 FX35) So I'm not sure it's a model / drivetrain issue. Have you checked for debris yet? If so, have you confirmed that the Cats are in good standing (if you're not throwing a code it's not likely) I mention the cats because I sold my last coupe to a dealership (CRAZY MONEY offered lol so I took it) and it was tuned with Osiris (didn't have a cable at the time of sale to remove the software) With the Osiris tune I ran "gutted cats" (we have visual inspection here in CO, so it had to pass that...) But I had disabled the O2 sensor engine codes. So no codes, but it def was a smelly girl after she got up to temp...

LMK! I'll just reinforce that I have never seen a string of these types of inquires on smell on the boards here.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Any oil leaks? I have a similar problem but I know it's my upper oil pan gasket and oil cooler gasket leaking oil . It leaks oil and while driving at freeway speeds it blows the oil onto the exhaust. When stopped I then see the oil burn off.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by jookyshank
I haven't had any issues such as this one (3 G35's and 1 FX35) So I'm not sure it's a model / drivetrain issue. Have you checked for debris yet? If so, have you confirmed that the Cats are in good standing (if you're not throwing a code it's not likely) I mention the cats because I sold my last coupe to a dealership (CRAZY MONEY offered lol so I took it) and it was tuned with Osiris (didn't have a cable at the time of sale to remove the software) With the Osiris tune I ran "gutted cats" (we have visual inspection here in CO, so it had to pass that...) But I had disabled the O2 sensor engine codes. So no codes, but it def was a smelly girl after she got up to temp...

LMK! I'll just reinforce that I have never seen a string of these types of inquires on smell on the boards here.
There are quite a few threads here but no answer....Search is at top of most of these screens.
GOOGLE..."My G35 smells like burniing rubber". You will see a a lot results.
Mostly a bunch of "change your oil" or "replace cabin filter" "plastic bag on exhaust" etc...
Most that actually has this issue says that's the way it is. One guy has been on this Forum since 2004 and said his has always done it.

Now we have another input of check the Cats...This is burning rubber smell, not rotten eggs. Of course if I had a code I wouldn't have come here trying to solicit folks experience and remedy?

Thanks

Last edited by Bonesntx; 12-22-2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-22-2013, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by kpowe1
Any oil leaks? I have a similar problem but I know it's my upper oil pan gasket and oil cooler gasket leaking oil . It leaks oil and while driving at freeway speeds it blows the oil onto the exhaust. When stopped I then see the oil burn off.
My crankcase is spot on full for about 2 months now since oil change.
No oil on garage floor or anywhere I park.
Maybe it is all getting burned off?

Old 12-22-2013, 12:35 PM
I haz hugz to givez

Received 286 Likes on 263 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonesntx
There are quite a few threads here but no answer....Search is at top of most of these screens.
GOOGLE..."My G35 smells like burniing rubber". You will see a a lot results.
Mostly a bunch of "change your oil" or "replace cabin filter" "plastic bag on exhaust" etc...
Most that actually has this issue says that's the way it is. One guy has been on this Forum since 2004 and said his has always done it.

Now we have another input of check the Cats...This is burning rubber smell, not rotten eggs. Of course if I had a code I wouldn't have come here trying to solicit folks experience and remedy?

Thanks
Just trying to help, insulting those who actually attempt to help will get you far in life, or so I hear.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by jookyshank
Just trying to help, insulting those who actually attempt to help will get you far in life, or so I hear.

Have a Merry Christmas.
Not a one insult.

Thanks for your input. Just looking for the answer to a problem.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-23-2013, 01:37 AM
have you checked your engine bay for a wire harness or some other rubber part that may have vibrated loose and is sticking to the header? I know this may sound simple but I've come across it a few times in other vehicles with a burning rubber smell. Also might want to check the air intake box to see if something fell into that which is giving off the smell. only suggestions. haven't had it happen to myself yet so I'm only throwing out ideas.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Count me in for having a slight burning rubber smell at times. Seems like it's only when I'm at full boost for few moments , I figured it was coming from my open wastegate

Old 12-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Just changed oil 150 miles ago, nothing caught on the exhaust and I changed my cabin air filter in July. Mine does this but only when it is cold outside and I have been driving for a while with the heat on. No clue what the cause is but I hate the smell. Something to do with running the heater?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Smelled Like Burning Belt but Was Not?