G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

S2000 v. G35 coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S2000 v. G35 coupe

has anyone recently gone from a honda S2000 to a G35 MT coupe? i'm in the process of making this transition and would be curious to hear impressions...

thanks

Old 02-08-2005, 12:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never owned the S2K but have driven it countless times since a friend has it. I would say the G has more of a luxury aspect as well as the back seats come in handy. Both cars are totally different in terms of looks and specs, but overall...the G can handle much better than an s2k in my opinion. I can say this because I have driven both on the same windy roads and almost always fish tailed the S2K where as the G didn't even screech. But for a 4-banger, the s2k outputs alot and for that reason I will give honda its credit. The infiniti engine I'm sure could put out alot more than the 298 it does now, but for the sake of keeping it in a separate insurance bracket, they decided not to "give" it 300+. The acceleration feels the same if not better on the G...some will challange this though, just remember this is the opinion of one man. You will def miss the air running through your hair w/o a soft top. I say go out there and test drive one.

Old 02-08-2005, 12:24 AM
Apples and Oranges. I haven't owned an S2000, but I've driven them. The S2000 is definitely more of a sports car. It's much smaller. More nimble. Revs faster and higher. The G35C is more luxurious. It feels heavier because it is. The nice thing about the G35 though is that it does a lot better on the street IMO because of the torque. With the S2000, it feels a bit gutless unless you rev it and you can't rev it much on the street. You can loaf the G35C around much more and it's more satisfying to me under normal day to day driving situations. The G35 is no slouch either in the performance dept. It's just not as much of a hard edged sports car.

Sal

Old 02-08-2005, 12:32 AM
how much of an adjustment or difference is it going from the gearbox in the S2000 to the one in the G35?... is the '05 6-speed manual (with supposed improvements over prior years) anywhere in the ballpark of the S? is it liveable for day to day driving? i definitely want to get a manual...

Old 02-08-2005, 01:16 AM
yeah.......just totalled my s2k in Dec 24, and a 05 6MT on order now....should be here this week.

Old 02-08-2005, 01:30 AM
S2000 vs. G35 Coupe

I have both cars in my garage (03 S2000 and 04 G35C). Let me tell you one thing: if you really like sports car, you would love S2000 to death regardless of whatever they said about G35 coupe. It's true that G35 C has much more comfortable ride and is more luxurious than S2000; however, when you talk about handling and fun-to-drive, S2000 is definitely a winner and there's no way G35C can compete. On the other hand, if you live in a city like LA or New York, it would be wise to choose G35C over S2000 due to less-torque engine and cramped cabin in S2000,which might drive you crazy especially stuck in traffic.

I drive both cars every other day and I'm always excited to push the "Start" bottom on the S and rev it to 8000 rpm and feel the abrupt pull from the engine with the unbearable roaring noise and have people stare at me with annoying faces.

As for G35C, it's a pretty car with lots of goodies at a very reasonable price. It's easy to drive it fast, and the exhaust note is so appealing that it sounds just as symphony.

At last, if you ask me to choose between S2000 and G35C, I would definitely choose S2000 over G because it's uncompromising ride and the beg-you-rev engine.

Again, it's just my personal opinion and it's your decision to pick between them.

Good luck.

Old 02-08-2005, 01:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zeusallmighty
how much of an adjustment or difference is it going from the gearbox in the S2000 to the one in the G35?... is the '05 6-speed manual (with supposed improvements over prior years) anywhere in the ballpark of the S? is it liveable for day to day driving? i definitely want to get a manual...

The S2Ks gear box was hard to slide into gears at times.

Old 02-08-2005, 02:07 AM
I use to own a S2k and I use to own a G35c 6MT. Very different cars. If you really love open top roadsters then the G35c will not do it for you. The G35c has a lot more torque and feels faster in a straight line, but the S2K is more nimble and feels more dialed to the road. The S2K is more FUN to drive, where as the G35c is better to commute in.

Old 02-08-2005, 03:01 AM
I agree with everone said they are very different cars. I think if the s2k is not ur daily drive car, then it is not bad (especially in the SUMMER with the top down). I drove both the s2k and my fd's 04 G35, I definitely think the gearbox on the s2k is better.
And the handling on the s2k is awesome (G35 is not bad too). However, the power range for the s2k is only btw 6000 - 9000 rpm (00- 03 model), so when u drive below 6k....u feel like u r driving a civic. That's just my opinion.

Old 02-08-2005, 05:24 AM
i owned 2 s2000's prior to my G35 coupe, one was totaled one i traded in, everything people have said about the S is accurate, a lot of people, ones that have not driven the S, talk bad about it, but driving the S2000 is a thrill, hitting it at 5 grand and revving to 9000+ rpms with your blinkin shift light kicking in at 9 grand is something everyone should do at least once . The start button on the S got everyone's attention, always, the radio cover kicks ***, esp on the 04+ S2000's. Hidden compartment on the S kicks ***. Handling is really really tight, great but very easy to lose the rear with no traction control. I miss my s2000 but the G35 is WAY more of a daily driver with very similar performance with a whole lot more luxury to it. Get the G with nav, and you wont be disapointed.... sometimes i really wish i still had my S. I love racing them tho, 6 spd should be able to beat an s2000 on the street, auto G35 prob wont take a properly drivin s2000. A friend of mine has a g35 coupe automatic and when i had my s i would walk him day in and day out, he had a popcharger and a pulley too. I got my G 6 spd, bone stock and beat him worse than i did with my S2000 . Made me a little less regretfull on getting rid of the S. To each is own, but if its a daily driver the transistion will go smooth, you will get used to it, just close your eyes when you see other s2000s, still makes me upset sometimes, lol..... But dont get me wrong the G is awsome!!!! I will buy another s2000 tho, when i have the money as my summer/weekend car and supercharge it..... hope this helps....

PS the silver one was my first, I walked away from this accident without a scratch, i will vouge for the s2000 being a pretty damn safe vehicle, what happened was someone backed out of their driveway, causing me to swerve up onto there lawn, going threw a fence, a street sign, a bush, and landed against a tree..... seems a lot worse than it was, could of been a LOT worse, thank god tho....the black one in the second pic was my baby, i had that S for about a year before i realized i needed somethin a little bigger when i got rid of it i had a complete 04 conversion with the updated bumper, with the front lip, no body knew what it was cause of the ricks S badges and i got rid of s2000 on the side....

Attached Thumbnails S2000 v. G35 coupe-s2000crash.jpg   S2000 v. G35 coupe-s2000crash2.jpg   S2000 v. G35 coupe-s2000s-002.jpg  

Last edited by chuckd05; 02-08-2005 at 05:31 AM.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:47 AM
supman... post ur totalled S2000 pix too!

yeah i drove supman's S2000 before too..it is really nice to go up 9000rpm
the S2000 has really good gearbox...but the car's style is getting old

Old 02-08-2005, 09:57 AM
thanks for all the feedback... i can't see myself getting a G35 AND keeping the S2000 as well (not the right time in my life for both cars)... i agree with all the driving impressions posted by current/prior S2000 owners/drivers, and since i'm looking for a sporty coupe with performance and luxury it looks like the G is the way to go... time will tell how much i miss the little sportster with the joystick gearbox...

my goal for now is to keep steadily increasing my savings and look into a used NSX at some point a few years down the road...

BTW, has anyone taken delivery of the new 6MT coupe sport with the 19" rims? how is the ride quality around town and on the highway?

thanks again.... this is a great forum

Old 02-08-2005, 01:08 PM
I don;t think that a G is quicker in a straight line than a properly driven S2K. But it is hard to properly drive it with consistency. It is easier to properly drive a G with consistency thus it may be more gratifying on the streets. On a track the S is a very tossable car. The G holds it's footing better. A think the guy with his friend... His auto would have done better w/o the pop-charger. the auto needs the low end torque to reach it's numbers.

Last edited by KAHBOOM; 02-08-2005 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Going from an S2000 to a G35, you will notice you don't have to rev the VQ very high because there is a lot of low-end torque to scoot you along. It's great. The G will probably feel heavier and not as lively and won't have as much feedback in the corners. They are both great cars, enjoy!

Old 02-09-2005, 12:30 AM
Omega Enthusiast
Both are excellent cars. Honda has done a great job with the 2.0L and then 2.2L with the '03 and up S2k's - design of the engine.

A friend of mine has the S2k and it's more of a "true" sports car because it does not have the VDC, TCS, driver assistance stuff of the V35 series. If you're a good driver in the S2k, it'll show when you do some spirited driving in the canyons and vice versa if you're bad. The F20 is a rev happy engine that can keep up with Ferrari's on the track, if modded correctly. The only drawback is that it lacks the TQ to overtake on the straightaways.

The VQ35DE is a torquey engine that needs little effort to get it going. It is, however, a heavy car but nonetheless a thrill to drive. The V35 has two additional seats and more luxury appointments than the S2k. If I could, I'd get a S2k but a few things I do not like are 1) only two seats, 2) digital tach, 3) convertible. From what my friend told me, the S2k gearbox has a better feel than the notchy feel of the V35.

Between the two, they are different as night and day but IMO I don't believe you'll be disappointed with the V35 series.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S2000 v. G35 coupe