G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

INGs side skirts blocking jack points

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 01:55 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
INGs side skirts blocking jack points

Hi,
So recently I have purchased some INGs rep side skirts and had the bodyshop install it. Everything was good, fitment was not bad. But today I notice that the bottom of the side skirts is pretty much almost to the pinch weld where you put the jack from (On all four points). Anyone encountered this issue before?

My question is do I need to cut some parts of the sideskirts to make the jack points more exposed? I don't think I could even get on the hoist as well

Last edited by izzueeek; 05-29-2014 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by izzueeek
Hi,
So recently I have purchased some INGs rep side skirts and had the bodyshop install it. Everything was good, fitment was not bad. But today I notice that the bottom of the side skirts is pretty much almost to the pinch weld where you put the jack from (On all four points). Anyone encountered this issue before?

My question is do I need to cut some parts of the sideskirts to make the jack points more exposed? I don't think I could even get on the hoist as well
I got the same skirts. Since my car is slammed already I usually do one of two things:
1. Jack up from the rear diff if you can access it.

2. Drive up onto home-made ramps (2x4's that are notched)

Rear:
Name:  IMG_0394.jpg
Views: 4721
Size:  62.9 KB

Front:
Name:  IMG_0390.jpg
Views: 9495
Size:  62.7 KB

Old 05-29-2014, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by bakwoods
I got the same skirts. Since my car is slammed already I usually do one of two things:

Rear:

Front:
Thanks for the advice.
One more thing, how bout to lift your car on the hoist, did u have any problems?

Old 05-29-2014, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by izzueeek
Thanks for the advice.
One more thing, how bout to lift your car on the hoist, did u have any problems?
That I actually do often times have issues with. What we end up doing and most shops can do this for you is to jack the back end via the pumpkin and then slide the rails under it. From there we put wooden blocks onto the rail contact patch so that it'll sit higher when lifting the car. It prevents the actual rails from digging into the side skirts. Occasionally I've had shop that didn't have blocks; resulted in paint cracking. Though they did warn me they're not liable for damage, and at the time (cracked oil pan) I didn't have a choice.

What I've done is actually carried pieces of wood (2x4 like 4 6" long pieces) to give to the shop and explain what to do in case they say it's too low. My car actually sits so low that we have to sometimes even pull the whole car up by the fender while one guy slides the rail underneath. Really funny to watch. The disadvantages to being static and super low lol.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:28 PM
That I actually do often times have issues with. What we end up doing and most shops can do this for you is to jack the back end via the pumpkin and then slide the rails under it. From there we put wooden blocks onto the rail contact patch so that it'll sit higher when lifting the car. It prevents the actual rails from digging into the side skirts. Occasionally I've had shop that didn't have blocks; resulted in paint cracking. Though they did warn me they're not liable for damage, and at the time (cracked oil pan) I didn't have a choice.

What I've done is actually carried pieces of wood (2x4 like 4 6" long pieces) to give to the shop and explain what to do in case they say it's too low. My car actually sits so low that we have to sometimes even pull the whole car up by the fender while one guy slides the rail underneath. Really funny to watch. The disadvantages to being static and super low lol.
Oh wow lol, maybe i should cut the bottom for easier access.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:21 PM
It's your call, but just kept mine the way they are and only go to shops that have low profile lifts and deal with cars that have body kits.

If you do cut them, take some pictures of the before and after along with what you used (reciprocating saw or something else)

Old 05-29-2014, 06:14 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts

Rear:

Front:
I did that when I had mine..

Old 06-03-2014, 03:43 AM
Originally Posted by Frankieg35
I did that when I had mine..
I didnt have time to go to a shop yet.

Did u end up cutting?