G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Anyone gone fully synthetic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 12:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am thinking about switching to fully synthetic in my 06 coupe. I just got the replacement engine broken in (OC issues). I've read that you should break in your engine with conventional oil because its thicker, I'll probably switch to fully synthetic at 3k, I'm at 1.8K at the moment on the new block. I want to switch to Royal Purple, I read a magazine with all the different brands and the wear they had, and all the brands had some wear except RP, so thats why I decided to go with it. Good/Bad? Also is it even worth going fully synthetic on my G with 80K, or should I keep conventional oil?

Old 08-29-2010, 03:11 AM
One person mentioned Mobil 1 Euro formula. Have any others tried this? I'm thinking about getting Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 for my next oil change.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by smilepro
Hey guys. Been thinking about switching all the fluids in my 6MT to synthetic (in the engine). Pretty sure that I am going to go with Mobil 1 for oil. Is it overkill to change the rest? Any recommendations as to what all should be changed to synthetic, as well as impressions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
do it

ive ran fully synthetic since i drove it off the lot.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Milk Sheikh
I am thinking about switching to fully synthetic in my 06 coupe. I just got the replacement engine broken in (OC issues). I've read that you should break in your engine with conventional oil because its thicker, I'll probably switch to fully synthetic at 3k, I'm at 1.8K at the moment on the new block. I want to switch to Royal Purple, I read a magazine with all the different brands and the wear they had, and all the brands had some wear except RP, so thats why I decided to go with it. Good/Bad? Also is it even worth going fully synthetic on my G with 80K, or should I keep conventional oil?
I've used Royal Purple in all my cars. From motor oil to tranny fluid. It works great. The only issue I've noticed is the G35 seems to burn it up quick. I think there is a thread that explains this. Never got around to reading it.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by reverse
I've used Royal Purple in all my cars. From motor oil to tranny fluid. It works great. The only issue I've noticed is the G35 seems to burn it up quick. I think there is a thread that explains this. Never got around to reading it.
I believe Gs burn through it quicker because synthetic oil is thinner and Gs already have a problem with burning oil. Thats also a concern, going synthetic in general because of how quick oil is burnt through (06 RevUp). Once you go synthetic you cannot go back right?

Old 09-01-2010, 11:58 AM
I believe Gs burn through it quicker because synthetic oil is thinner and Gs already have a problem with burning oil. Thats also a concern, going synthetic in general because of how quick oil is burnt through (06 RevUp).
good info...I just changed all my fluids to synthetic. Guess I need to keep a lookout for oil consumption due to the thinner synthetic engine oil. FYI, I went w/ Mobil 1.

Last edited by M302_Imola; 09-03-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:13 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
go with mobil one its highly recommended by alot of people and in the event of you ever having low oil on a road trip or late at night mobil one can e found at most gas station where as royal purple isnt that easy and i dont think your supposed to mix them. for the transmission and diff i would use the royal purple.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:11 AM
I've been running Mobil 1 since 8000 miles. 57k now, and not one issue! Good luck

Old 09-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
I read a magazine with all the different brands and the wear they had, and all the brands had some wear except RP, so thats why I decided to go with it. Good/Bad? Also is it even worth going fully synthetic on my G with 80K, or should I keep conventional oil?
I would like to see that test what mag? Was it the BS tests? Oils will wear differently in different engines For the G Royal Purple is not good when compared to other oils you can buy for cheaper.

Look at the chart above that's for the VQ Green = Better then average wear.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Engine Oil Test

Here is the link for the forum I read it on:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74467

Motor Oil Test:

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Old 09-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
^ yea its the BS and unrealistic test.

According to UOA's which show engine wear(Like the test, less wear = lower wear numbers) from the VQ Royal Purple is an Average oil nothing is good or bad about it. For half the price you can get better oil for the VQ.

I hate these magazines that publish something like that, that test was most likely paid by an oil company

You see Royal Purple? Its Average oil, there are better oils for cheaper.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
I switched a few months ago. One thing I've noticed is my car burns through oil a little quicker. Currently using Castrol Syntec 5W-30.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:46 AM
gck
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i went full synthetic and as soon as i drove the car out the shop it felt quicker and more responsive... true story!

Old 01-03-2011, 06:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i think thats bs. synthetic oil is supposed to not break down from heat as much and supposed to protect with a better film but there are several different esters and not all of them are actually that good. it will not add horsepower on any noticable level even though royal purple says it adds 1/3 of a horsepower thats complete bs. putnyour car on a dyno and you will not be able to pull the EXACT same numbers everytime do to so many changing variables so theres no way to measure 0.33 of a horsepower acurately. if you have the money and dont care about spending it then go with a full synthetic if you dont then spend the extra buck a liter and go semi-synthetic atleast. majority of the public population is never gonna really be able to tell the difference in the performance or wear on their engines its all in peoples heads and its in the advertising. why doesnt anyone just google the subject and read the hundreds of pages out there about people saying its good then other saying its bad and telling storys about how they switched to synthetic and 6 months later *Bang* tire falls off and synthetic is the devil. Its all opinions theres no facts besides some byas studies done by people looking to sell their product.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:21 AM
I totally agree, but why wake up this ancient thread jk lol

Originally Posted by andrewstclair
i think thats bs. synthetic oil is supposed to not break down from heat as much and supposed to protect with a better film but there are several different esters and not all of them are actually that good. it will not add horsepower on any noticable level even though royal purple says it adds 1/3 of a horsepower thats complete bs. putnyour car on a dyno and you will not be able to pull the EXACT same numbers everytime do to so many changing variables so theres no way to measure 0.33 of a horsepower acurately. if you have the money and dont care about spending it then go with a full synthetic if you dont then spend the extra buck a liter and go semi-synthetic atleast. majority of the public population is never gonna really be able to tell the difference in the performance or wear on their engines its all in peoples heads and its in the advertising. why doesnt anyone just google the subject and read the hundreds of pages out there about people saying its good then other saying its bad and telling storys about how they switched to synthetic and 6 months later *Bang* tire falls off and synthetic is the devil. Its all opinions theres no facts besides some byas studies done by people looking to sell their product.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone gone fully synthetic?