G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Anyone gone fully synthetic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone gone fully synthetic?

Hey guys. Been thinking about switching all the fluids in my 6MT to synthetic (in the engine). Pretty sure that I am going to go with Mobil 1 for oil. Is it overkill to change the rest? Any recommendations as to what all should be changed to synthetic, as well as impressions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-19-2005, 04:57 PM
I feel that there are performance gains to be had. Just want the best for my car, and feel going fully senthetic could provide me with a better performing, smoother running vehicle.

Old 02-19-2005, 07:05 PM
I put amsoil oil in my car it did seem to run a little smoother but for speed not really I did it really for the protection and low maintenance

Old 02-19-2005, 07:35 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Along with better protection, it's said that you can extend service intervals (allbeit slightly).
I've seen and read that a few hp can be had by switching to synth. A weekly program I watch did a b4 and after test on running synthetics, and discovered a nominal hp increase. If memory serves it was in the realm of 8, by changing out the engine, M/T, and rear diff.

Further, Q45Tech has stated that a substantial increase can be had simply by changing out your rear diff. lubricant to synth.

Some feel the switch is not worth it, others (me included) think it is.
One thing is for sure: it's not cheap hp or maintenance.

Incidently, Nissan/Infiniti says not to use synthetics in your Coupe engine, and for you A/T owners, - don't even think about changing the A/T fluid to other than Nissan OEM A/T fluid. -- Apparantly Nissan checks into all A/T failures, and if they discover non OEM fluid, then you have no warranty.

In the Sedan, the O/manual's wording is slightly different, and doesn't specifically say to not use it.

For what it's worth.
C.

Last edited by Msedanman; 02-19-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:04 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gsedanman
Along with better protection, it's said that you can extend service intervals (allbeit slightly).
I've seen and read that a few hp can be had by switching to synth. A weekly program I watch did a b4 and after test on running synthetics, and discovered a nominal hp increase. If memory serves it was in the realm of 8, by changing out the engine, M/T, and rear diff.

Further, Q45Tech has stated that a substantial increase can be had simply by changing out your rear diff. lubricant to synth.

Some feel the switch is not worth it, others (me included) think it is.
One thing is for sure: it's not cheap hp or maintenance.

Incidently, Nissan/Infiniti says not to use synthetics in your Coupe engine, and for you A/T owners, - don't even think about changing the A/T fluid to other than Nissan OEM A/T fluid. -- Apparantly Nissan checks into all A/T failures, and if they discover non OEM fluid, then you have no warranty.

In the Sedan, the O/manual's wording is slightly different, and doesn't specifically say to not use it.

For what it's worth.
C.
I believe Nissan's J-Matic tranny fluid is fully synthetic with the perfect viscosity for our trannies. No need to change until 15k-30k.

Old 02-19-2005, 09:13 PM
I run fully synthetic in all my toys. I use royal purple products. Oil, diff fluid, even the purple ice in the radiator. It lowers the operating temp on my bike by 20 degrees! I highly recommend it, if it's within budget. Just keep in mind, if you use blend, you can always go back to the stock oil. Once you go fully synthetic, your stuck with fully syn.

Old 02-19-2005, 10:18 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Have ran Valvoline Synthetic since day one. Use it in all my other cars as well. My friend owns a Valvoline facility so I get great prices on syn fluids I don't do it for performance gain but better parts wear and longevity. I cant remember what mag it was but they ran synt in the engine, trans, rear end, and power steering units. They only freed up like 1-2 hp. I really don't believe a syn car will add any real noticeable hp.

Old 02-19-2005, 10:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nissan says not to use synthetics in the engine? Where did you hear this? I'm supposed to change my oil tomorrow!

Old 02-19-2005, 10:46 PM
Yea I heard synthetic oil will improve or make your vehicle last longer.. Don't know if that is true..

Old 02-19-2005, 11:07 PM
I am running Mobil 1 (full syn) since the 3K miles.... so far so good..... about 7K miles now

Old 02-20-2005, 01:43 AM
have been running Castrol Syntec 5w30 in mine since the first oil change (3 months comes before 3000 miles for me). I work for BMW so I get it free since BMW promotes Castrol. once I install my twin turbos, I'm considering using the Castrol TWS 10w60. it's a fully synthetic race tested/turbo tested oil used in the M3 engines. it's expensive as hell normally, but once again I get a discount. as for synthetic allowing extended service intervals, look at BMW. you bring it in only once a year for an oil and filter change or when the service indicator says to bring it in, whichever comes first. but the service interval is 15,525 miles. that's a long @ss time between oil changes ubt the engines handle it

Old 02-20-2005, 07:25 PM
I wouldn't use anything but Mobil 1 Full synthetic. And Mobil 1 syntech filter. I have done my own testing on 3 other brands of synthetic oils and Mobil one was the best.
I have a 1990 Acura integra and have been running Mobil 1 since I got it and now the car has 291,000 miles and car runs smooth,strong,no leaks, no smoke, I swear by it.

That's my 2-Cents

Thanks
David G

Old 02-20-2005, 07:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, cant really argue with that recommendation. Mobil one it is.

Old 02-20-2005, 09:30 PM
Why would the company recommend not using synthetics in the coupe engine? Anyone have any idea what my first time service would cost switchng to full synthetic (for Canadian members in the know?)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone gone fully synthetic?